PDA

View Full Version : Out west for the Winter?

Tarheelflyfishing
01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Anyone heading out west, say MT/ID/WY way for the Winter...If I'm not mistaken West Yellowstone, MT is going to be a few degrees "warmer" than TN/NC on Friday and Saturday...

David Knapp
01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
If I had the time I'd be headed west...probably some Colorado tailwaters such as the Frying Pan. Hopefully someday...

Wilson10
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Never had the opportunity to head out west for any fly fishing. That is certainly on my near future TO DO list.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
If I had the time I'd be headed west...probably some Colorado tailwaters such as the Frying Pan. Hopefully someday...

The Frying Pan River right outside of Aspen is on my to do list too...awesome river...a lot of diversity. South Platte, Blue and Taylor Rivers are also worth checking out in CO.

Troutman
01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Its cold here. Its cold out west. I'm thinking Florida sounds good right now. Maybe Sea Trout on the fly. Bet I've got some poppers that would work!

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm dreaming of the Bahamas or the Keys right now....Bonefish...no permit...no tarpon...yeah bonefish...:biggrin:

David Knapp
01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
The Frying Pan River right outside of Aspen is on my to do list too...awesome river...a lot of diversity. South Platte, Blue and Taylor Rivers are also worth checking out in CO.

Fished all those over the last three summers except for the Blue...didn't feel like fishing with shopping malls around but the others are great! Only probably with fishing them in the summer is that the crowds are bad...late winter is supposed to be good for the big rainbows in these tailwaters and is the time of year that the real mosters are often caught...

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Fished all those over the last three summers except for the Blue...didn't feel like fishing with shopping malls around but the others are great! Only probably with fishing them in the summer is that the crowds are bad...late winter is supposed to be good for the big rainbows in these tailwaters and is the time of year that the real mosters are often caught...

I would have to agree, the Blue isn't the most pristine, remote river in the state...would rather fish the Gunny or the S. Platte instead. Late Winter through late Spring...maybe EARLY Summer is the prime time of year to be out in the Centennial State for a fly fishing trip. Is the runoff bad out in CO?...I remember when I was out in Montana this past June, the runoff was at it's peak...all because of an abnormally high snow pack. Hey, also saw that your filling in for Mr. Hartsell for the fly tying demonstration...I'll see if I can make it over the mountains...I sure hope he makes a speedy recovery.

David Knapp
01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Runoff really varies from year to year in Colorado. Some years the high country stays closed up until July while in other years runoff is basically over by early June...as far as streamflow is concerned, fall would be the prime time to visit Colorado...

Tarheelflyfishing
01-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Runoff really varies from year to year in Colorado. Some years the high country stays closed up until July while in other years runoff is basically over by early June...as far as streamflow is concerned, fall would be the prime time to visit Colorado...

Reminescent of a typical Montana fishing season...

Rob GRiggs
01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I think that the Taylor, Arkanas and 11 mile(s.platte) are the best rivers in the state for tail water fishing. Dont forget about the pouder river. GREAT place too. You can catch grayling,greenbacks,snake river cuts and rainbows at Joe Wright. That is a the begining of the pouder. The pouder has some great brown in it also. Went fishing at Deckers (s.platte) on Saturday didnt even get a hit. The weather has been so good it was worth just going out and not freezing to death.

PeteCz
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
I never had much luck on the South Platte, or any of the more technical streams out there, for that matter. I guess I prefer chucking bushy flies to dumber trout any day.

There are tons of blue-liners that offer amazing fishing in Colorado, plus you'll most likely never see another soul. Headed back out there at the end of July again this year. I can't wait...

Rob GRiggs
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
You are coming out to fish? If so let me know, if you want I might be able to hit up a couple good places with you.

PeteCz
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Rob, There are three of us that will be coming out there July 29-Aug 6. We're going to camp in the Flattops Wilderness area above Glenwood canyon and do some blue-lining.

If you're interested in joining us for part of the trip, drop me an email at petecz at charter.net. My son and I stayed a few days up there last year and are excited about going back and hitting some more streams.