PDA

View Full Version : let's talk carp

milligan trout degree
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I've probably heard about more methods for catching carp on a fly rod than I have for trout. There's the soaking flies in corn and letting them rot method, tossing wooly buggers by there noses, running fox squirrel nymphs under an indicator, throwing san juans, red a$$ sh, popcorn flies, mulberry flies, midges on 6x, even seen one caught on a smallie popper. I thought I'd go to the first hand source of information. What flies do you carp fisherman go to on the stream of lake? I've tied a few bushy ugly nymphs I predict to be effective, but I don't really know at all. Carp and smallies will be my number one target this summer. My current strategy for carp is set a heavy wooly bugger down in the dirt by their nose and twitch it slowly. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about the golden ghost.

Carolina Boy
01-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Man I don't know carp about crap?? But I got the itch like you, I have seen em tailing on the holston (not the soho) up by Nancey's ferry, I have caught em as a kid on bread balls and a bobber, I even caught one on the fly one time on the holston. Total accident. And I hooked a monster blue lookin carp, I guess they call it a buffalo carp? on the clinch behind the Anderson county jail. But seeing em tail makes me see the fresh water version of the redfish in lowcountry SC were I am from. I wanna chase em too so anyone out there that knows I am all ears!! Thanks

If it swims throw a fly at it!! :cool:

flyred06
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I like to use a brown with yellow rubber leg bead head wooly bugger in a size 6. I have caught more carp on that one fly than anything. Find them on the flats and put it right on their nose. I have seen people using crab patterns but I can not bring myself to leave the perfect fly. Wooly Buggers always seams to work. Also a squirrel tail clouser minnow pattern will work if you have to size down, say to a 8 or 10.

Troutman
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I like bugger type flies for when they are rooting around. usually try to come up behind them and high stick. Tie them with lead eyes or beadchain to ride hook up. Dragon fly nymphs like RLDs work well also.
If they are cruising, I would rather throw a white bugger or similiar white minnow imitation. You want something to slow sink evenly, not so heavy it head dives to the bottom.
If they are skimming the surface, a foam beetle can be productive. Watch directions of movement and place it in their path just like a rising trout.
Carp can be very technical and other times very easy. They are sure a lot of fun.

TroutAssassin
01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Size 6 white bugger is about as good as it gets. Like troutman said however, if they are slowly skimming the surface, id go with a PA, Beetle, or an Ant.

flyred06
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Can any of you tell a difference in whether the wooly buggers have rubber legs on them or not. I personally like the rubber legs but don't know if it really makes any difference on carp.

Troutman
01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I tie all my warm water buggers with legs. Fishing them in slower moving water, I think the extra action, especially on dead drifts or crawfish hopping just gives it something extra to entice the bite.
besides, you can always pull them off if not wanted.

flyred06
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
This is true. But I hate to tie with legs. I tend to get so frustrated. Alot of the carp guys I know fish just a standard no leg bugger and I tend to out catch them. I didn't know if the legs made that big a deal or was I just lucky. If it has rubber legs I buy it, if it doesn't I tie it. Also I have found the Bugger that I mentioned earlier also is good for pond cat fish. Rubber legs with them seem to really make the difference.

dogfish
01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I had some success out in CO over the summer on a warm reservoir with some thin water where I could sight them tailin by huckin a size 4 or 6 kaufmans stone in front of them and retrieving with long, slow strips so as to keep the fly right off the bottom. They seemed to take it just about every time if I put it across their face without lining them on the presentation or stirring the water in some other way. also, I had a lot more luck with a strip set once I felt the bump as opposed to raising my rod to set. anyone know of any water around Ktown where some of these tails might be seen?

Carolina Boy
01-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Yep, i have spotted em several times on the Holston, just above the shoals up above Nances Ferry landing, it is just outside of Blaine TN, I want to go chase em as soon as it warms up a bit!

gverholek
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I've found lots of carp in many back bays on Ft Loudon Lake. They can be spooky, fussy and frustrating, but really fun when hooked. I echo the suggestions of Buggers & Damsel nymphs on the bottom, and small poppers on their nose on top.

flyred06
01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I have never caught one on a popper on top but you guys definately got me interested. I did hook into a 22lb carp on o black gnat one night. He just sipped it in but If they take a popper anything like a redfish I am in.

milligan trout degree
01-21-2009, 01:52 AM
22lber on a black gnat. thats hardcore carp fishing. any chance of hooking into carp in the spring time? or does the water need more time to warm up to get them back to the shallows?

seagull
01-21-2009, 06:12 AM
If you want some world class dry fly action for carp, try the willow fly hatch on Watts Bar during late June and early July. The big orange o-rings are everywhere! They can get selective after the hatch has been going for a few days, but I use an extended body foam mayfly pattern in size 6. Nothing quite like 20+ pounds of carp on a six weight, and sight fishing for them.

milligan trout degree
01-21-2009, 04:10 PM
dang, that sounds like a blast.

flyred06
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I wish I had the photo to post but that was way before I got with the digital age. Carp fishing has become one of my favorite pastimes. I just wish they were considered a game fish instead of a trash fish.:confused:

seagull
01-22-2009, 06:24 AM
I have a decal on the bumper of my Bronco that says "Carp, The Worlds Greatest Sportfish". I take beginning flyfishers out to the flats on Melton Hill for some freshwater bonefishing, you can wade and stalk them. It is the perfect practice for fighting big fish on a fly rod, because if you lose it, so what, it's just a carp. A few years ago Flat Fly'n and I were on Ft Loudon one summer evening and I was casting a Loomis 2 wt rod I had just finished building; just catching a few bluegill on foam beetles. Flat saw a carp feeding on top and "triple dog dared" me to cast to it. Of course I did and the battle was on. I eventually landed it, about 9 pounds! My biggest has been 27 pounds (on a 6 wt) according to Mr. Boga. But the ultimate is still the willowfly hatch, they cruise the banks looking up for flies. Nothing quite like watching a big carp make a u-turn and grab a dry, or seeing several race for a fly. My two favorite flies are the Christmas Bugger and the Carp D'Jour, which is basically a tan girdle bug.

flyred06
01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
seagull

What is a christmas Bugger. Can you post a pic of one.

Troutman
01-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Wendy aka.."FM" does a nice tutorial on them.
I like to make the herl stronger by twisting it into a rope with the thread before wrapping it up the hook shank.
Flyred, you should try to attend the "dubbing teasers" tying demos, they are a hoot!
http://www.thedubbingteasers.com/59.html

seagull, I sure would like to see you doing some more tying demos also.

seagull
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Actually the Christmas bugger is a pattern that I developed in the late 80's and had published in 1997. I teach it in both my warmwater and coldwater classes, and consider it my "go to" fly for several species. I guess Wendy did not realize the name was in use, but I guess those guys that she ties with have corrupted her, being dubbing teasers and all that. (Their "craziness" level is on par with my own)
Send me an e-mail to flyrdr@bellsouth.net and I will send you a pattern sheet for the Christmas bugger.

As for the demo's, I guess LRO is trying to get some different tyers in the mix. Two of my fellow Western NC natives will be there, Rex Wilson and Roger Lowe. All three of us learned to tie from some of the same people, and both are great guys and well worth watching.

BuckeyeRick
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Here's a site with some good Carp flies. My personal favorite is the Lil Bugger, especially in Brown/Tan. Barry's Carp fly has also been very productive. I've read a few posts and the Clouser Swimming Nymph seems to be a winner.
http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/c-219-carp-flies.aspx

I rarely throw anything bigger than #8's for Carp. I use floro tippet and usually go with 3X. My biggest Carp, 31", came on a #8 olive craw using my 5wt. I have also caught several 4-5 lbers on my 3wt. I was fishing for SM and Rockies with the 3wt when I saw a pod of Carp and couldn't pass it up. I pulled 4 fish out of the group and landed 3 of them.

MTD - The only comment I have about your technique is to downsize a little. But if it works, don't change.

Troutman
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification Seagull. I sent you an email.
I've not seen Rex but I do try to go see Roger when he is in town. I used to go by his shop every month when I was in Waynesville working. Always enjoy hearing the history behind the flies.

flyred06
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
seagull I will definately shoot you an email for that christmas bugger pattern. It sound like a neat fly I might can use for several different things.

Troutman
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Waterwolf, where are you? You're the resident carp on the fly expert. What flies do you like and techniques?
I've been tying up the clouser swimming nymph pattern for this summer.

seagull
02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Yeah, the young waterwolf is a carp expert! We had him with us on Watts Bar during the willow fly hatch about 14 years ago, and he hooked a monster carp on a 4 or 5 wt. He fought it for at least 20 minutes, and then asked one of us to take over because his arm was killing him. We told him to land his own @#%#@ fish, and get out of the way so we could fish. He ended up sitting on top of the motor and fought it for at least another 20 minutes, and finally got it in the net. It was at least a 25 pounder and it wore him out, but we would not let him quit (or would we help him). He was so much fun in his formative years. And yes, I can vouch that he loves the mighty carp.

waterwolf
02-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Do you wish to catch them in lakes or river?
On dries or wets?

Those two questions are very important. From there I can give advice from way too many hours spent chasing the crazy carp.

Troutman
02-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I mainly fish rivers, but I would like your thoughts on both.

waterwolf
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, the young waterwolf is a carp expert! We had him with us on Watts Bar during the willow fly hatch about 14 years ago, and he hooked a monster carp on a 4 or 5 wt. He fought it for at least 20 minutes, and then asked one of us to take over because his arm was killing him. We told him to land his own @#%#@ fish, and get out of the way so we could fish. He ended up sitting on top of the motor and fought it for at least another 20 minutes, and finally got it in the net. It was at least a 25 pounder and it wore him out, but we would not let him quit (or would we help him). He was so much fun in his formative years. And yes, I can vouch that he loves the mighty carp.

Yeah you rotten scoundrels left me alone with a Sage 590LL and beowulf. Lucky to be alive, I am after that duel.

BTW I caught his cousin this year on that same bank during the cicada mania. I was better equipped this go round with an 8 wt XP. He lost, but still not as quick as my arms would have liked.

Flat Fly n
02-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Few pics from a big hatch night. You can literally hear the millions of willow flies take off at one time. At one point this night we thought a deck was on fire and looked and the willow flies had started to swarm. pics are my son and Seagull. My favorite fly is a #4 Comparadun tied with a foam wrapped body, and gray deer hair. Big and buggy
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/HPIM0534.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/HPIM0505.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/HPIM0514.jpg

flyred06
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Nice catches. Love that photo of the willow flies. Looks like you definately have the next generation hooked. Maybe you and him will have many years and photos of fishing together yet to come.

waterwolf
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Few pics from a big hatch night. You can literally hear the millions of willow flies take off at one time. At one point this night we thought a deck was on fire and looked and the willow flies had started to swarm. pics are my son and Seagull. My favorite fly is a #4 Comparadun tied with a foam wrapped body, and gray deer hair. Big and buggy
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/HPIM0534.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/HPIM0505.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/HPIM0514.jpg
That boy needs a lesson from me on how to properly look like a carp.

Rockyraccoon
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Nice post and pictures!

TroutBum88
02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
The weasel can do a good carp imitation... Whats funny is that we take carp fishing as some what of a joke but out west guides have clients paying hundreds of bucks to fish em

seagull
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I have seen the waterwolf actually eat willowflies because he said he wanted to know why the fish liked them so well. I think he liked them too, cause he ate more than one.
Ephemerella sushi

Troutman
02-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I remember the first time I saw the willowflies, I did not know what they were. I was working in Kingston that day and decided to eat my lunch at the city park by the boat ramp. The trees along the bank were full of them and was on the side of the floating dock. I put a handful in my empty drink cup before I left and stopped by the creel on my way back through Knoxville. I showed them to Waterwolf and ask what they were. He seemed very happy to see them and knew where they came from before I told him where I was at that day! I expect he probably took off for watts bar that evening.

I have never seen them on Douglas, Cherokee or on the French Broad or Holston rivers. I never fish Norris, Melton Hill, Tellico or Ft. Nasty. Is that mayfly pretty much only in watts bar and lower Hiwassee river basin. Could it be due to the fact that The feeder lakes to the TN river system have such a big drawdown in the winter that the eggs are laid in high water of summer and then left dry during the winter?

seagull
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Watts Bar has the heaviest hatches, but some areas of Ft. Loudon have some decent hatches that get the fish working. Melton Hill has some isolated hatches, which are usually into August, due to the cooler water.

Flat Fly n
02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
They are actually a mayfly that originally are #16 upstream of Watts Bar, but due to the mitogens from below Oak Ridge.........

Actually, those flies are found throughout the south in lakes with silt bottoms. You have to look for them where the bottoms did not dry up or draw down during the winter months.

Those hatches are indeed impressive.

waterwolf
02-16-2009, 11:38 PM
The weasel can do a good carp imitation... Whats funny is that we take carp fishing as some what of a joke but out west guides have clients paying hundreds of bucks to fish em

I got into a scum line carp frenzy on the bighorn many moons ago, and had the tourists :biggrin: in a stir as they thought I was ripping huge browns one after another. Ahh, if they only knew.

Nothing beats the cicada carp action, nothing. Willow flies are fun, but cicada action is just madness. Hundreds of carp in a day, and rods broken like tooth picks.

This last year was awesome on Watts Bar and Douglas. I wish it happened every year, and hopefully I will still be around to hit the next round.