PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube Donated

Grannyknot
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
This morning my boss suprised me with a sweet hand-me-down. He said the tube may need to be repaired or replaced. I know these are no longer made, but does anyone know where I can get a replacement tube that might fit?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Stealthrider.jpg

flyred06
01-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I have a related question. These float tubes like this. How safe are they? I have wanted one for years but have been kind of scared of them. I am here in alabama where I would use them in small ponds and maybe a few back waters on the lake. What kind of water depth do you guys trust these in. Would you use them in say 20 ft deep water?

BlueRaiderFan
01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I've never used one, but if I wanted to and was worried about it, I would just wear a PFD with it. You can get PFD's that are fairly small if you spend a little money.

UofMontanaAlum
01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a related question. These float tubes like this. How safe are they? I have wanted one for years but have been kind of scared of them. I am here in alabama where I would use them in small ponds and maybe a few back waters on the lake. What kind of water depth do you guys trust these in. Would you use them in say 20 ft deep water?

I watched a guy take one down the Missouri while it was rolling this past spring at 15k CFS (river normally flows at 4k CFS). I think you'd be fine in a pond/lake. LOL!

I've never used one, but if I wanted to and was worried about it, I would just wear a PFD with it. You can get PFD's that are fairly small if you spend a little money.

If I'm not mistaken, isnt it required by law to have a PFD on a boat in TN. It is here in Iowa.

Treecatcher2
01-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I think the other question from what UofMontanaAlum raised is does that classify as a boat? I'd be safe and get the pdf on anyway...

txbrown
01-18-2009, 10:03 PM
I used one for years. great for ponds and hike-in fishing. Works well with strap on fins for propulsion. Remember you are low in the water so it is risky in areas with boats. Please use an inflatable pfd. They are comfortable and relatively inexpensive compared to the alternative.

UofMontanaAlum
01-19-2009, 02:10 AM
I think the other question from what UofMontanaAlum raised is does that classify as a boat? I'd be safe and get the pdf on anyway...

I had my Waterskeeter out on the lake and got checked for a PFD. I wouldn't know why that "belly boat" would be any different.

BlueRaiderFan
01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
I had my Waterskeeter out on the lake and got checked for a PFD. I wouldn't know why that "belly boat" would be any different.

I don't think I would be brave enough to use it anywhere that there would be park enforcement or wildlife management around. Maybe on some of the much smaller lakes and large ponds, that's about it. Either way, ticket or not, wear a pfd. If you are on water where you are still worried with one on, you are probably on water that is not recommended for that device.

Treecatcher2
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I think it may come down to the state reg and the enforcement official. The waterskeeter has some visible means of propulsion (the oars) and the bellyboat usually doesn't. In alot of places that could put the bellyboat in the same category as air mattress. or not

As Blueraider put it I'd use it only in small lakes and large ponds

Grannyknot
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
The tube ended up having no leaks.
Thanks for the info on PFDs.

flyred06
01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Well that is awesome. I am glad to hear it turned out great. Mna it is a good looking piece of equipment. And no money out the pocket, wish I had a boss like that. Use it and post some picks of your adventures.:biggrin:

hw3
02-06-2009, 03:41 PM
First used in early '60's when we made them annually from canvas, grommets, parachute cord, and truck inner tubes. Worked great in the strip pits in S.E. Kansas, especially those could not get into without a rope and were impossible to fish from the bank because were totally overgrown. Have two (2) now, son and I use them in ponds, slow streams, and small lakes. Not sure abt in a flowing stream, but I have seen people go past me on the Clinch in a float tube, but no old farts like me. Watson