PDA

View Full Version : Stocked Portion of Little Pigeon

JoeFred
01-17-2009, 05:22 PM
In May I'm hoping to rent a cabin with direct wade-in access to the TWRA-stocked portion of the Little Pigeon R north of the Park.

Are there such cabins?

If so, how's the fishing?

JF

sammcdonald
01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
any access below the visitor center on the spur will be in contaminated waters...the only cabins above the visitor center and town are at westgate time share...currently these waters are in delayed harvest....and really cold

JoeFred
01-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Sorry, Sam. I did a poor job of explaining where I mean. Some refer to the stream as the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon, others Greenbrier. I've heard there are cabins on Hwy 416 from Pittman Center in the direction of Sevierville. I'd be going in May or June.

JF

BlueRaiderFan
01-17-2009, 11:24 PM
So, all the water between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is contaminated?

Worrgamesguy
01-17-2009, 11:53 PM
any access below the visitor center on the spur will be in contaminated waters...

How so? So there are no fish at all, or what? That looked like prime water to me :frown:

nvr2L8
01-18-2009, 12:05 AM
The Gatlinburg waste treatment facility (on the lower end of town) is the culprit in this sad tale. Yes it's a fine looking stream but not suitable for swimming/fishing. :frown:

BlueRaiderFan
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
any access below the visitor center on the spur will be in contaminated waters...the only cabins above the visitor center and town are at westgate time share...currently these waters are in delayed harvest....and really cold

The visitor center in Gatlinburg or Sugarlands?

Treecatcher2
01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
We've stayed and caught fish at Little River Log Cabins. They have the walk out and start fishing feature you were requesting. I thing there is a link to them on the troutfest section. From the cabins you can walk up to the LRO shop and the IGA.

sammcdonald
01-18-2009, 08:03 PM
gatlinburg....no cabins in the park

sammcdonald
01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
google pittman center rentals or hwy 416 rental cabins....you may have to add sevier county there are some rentals out there...if you didn't mind driving 10 minutes, then the b&b named quail ridge would be great...

troutslayer3393
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I have caught trout in the contaminated water, but the trout smelled like sewage and stunk up my net for two weeks. I wouldnt recomend it:frown:

Bran
01-19-2009, 10:57 AM
So you guys are saying the water from the visitor center at Westgate on down is contaminated by the treatment facility? Are there plans to correct this? I've seen the signs before, but no visual sign of contamination. Is it E Coli?

JoeFred
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Sam & Tree, thanks for the input. I found some cabin candidates between Pittman Center and Richardson Cove.

JF

flyred06
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I would like to hear more on this contamination issue. I have fished that area of the spur before and what you are saying makes me wonder was I in a sewage drain? Is it that way year round or just partial year?

JoeFred
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
To hear more, I suggest you start a new thread, e.g. "West Prong Little Pigeon River Contamination." This thread started out having to do with the MIDDLE Prong and downstream.

JF

flyred06
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
yes you are correct I will start a new thread. Sorry for that I just got wrapped up in reading and was not thinking. I would not purposely highjack your thread. I do appologize.

JoeFred
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
No problem at all. I'm anxious to learn more too. It's a crying shame fly fisherman aren't seen along an otherwise perfectly beautiful entry way to the park.

JF

steelnuttz
01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
We have rented a cabin on the middle prong the past few springs. Google Granny Smith #2 or check the mountain rental's of Gburg site. Excellent cabins with the middle prong running through the back yards. There are four cabins to choose from and all are are very nicely decorated (Wife approved :) ). The river is stocked a few hundred yards from the cabin and we enjoyed fishing this area with the kids. Owner's live nearby and are very responsive and friendly.

Nutt

flyred06
01-20-2009, 06:03 PM
steelnutz that is nice. I might just have to copy your lead on that.

JoeFred
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Nutt !!

JF

JoeFred
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
We rented a modest cabin right on the stream in Richardson Cove, off Hwy 416. Unfortunately we were there almost ten days after TWRA last stocked trout. Weather was perfect and water conditions were right on. There were even impressive late-day caddis hatches, but the potential takers were apparently elsewhere, most likely consumed. Tried to attract smallmouths with dries and wooly boogers, but to no avail. Given the economy and the investment in the stay, I relented and broke out my spinning gear. Caught three nice smallies, one an 8-incher, and a 12 inch drum or some such species. I was also successful in avoiding a close-knit foursome of sizable carp.

tlshealy
06-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I could have told you that, I have stayed up that way several times and wasted a whole trip fishing there. Drive up to greenbrier and fish the park, the rivers are completely different lower and outside the park, and the wild trout are more fun.
Tad

JoeFred
06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Tad, you are so right about fishing inside the park, which is where I usually go. This particular trip, however, was one for me and my bride of 40+ years. The wild trout would have been fun, but so was the hot tub. :biggrin:

JF