PDA

View Full Version : Bonefish Flies for Abaco Island Bahamas

Carolina Boy
01-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I am trying to set up a trip to go fishing in Abaco Isle, on Cherokee Sound. I have no idea what flies work down there?? Any advice?? Has anyone fished down there? Thanks

bigpopper
01-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I have some shrimp and crab patterns for permit, they are Merkin crabs, Bone toads, and Mc shrimps, Clousers (small ones) might work too. Ive only had the chance to use mine on Crevalle Jacks and Amber jacks, lots of fun but no Bonefish. Orvis has a decent selection along with Bass pro for salty flies, check em out. Hope this helps.
Good fishin to ya!:biggrin:

gmreeves
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Are you going to get a guide or fish out of a lodge? If so, ask them what style flies including colors, weights, and whether they like bushy flies or sparsley tied flies. I went to Belize a while ago and the bones were very specific. They liked thin flies in a light pink. Of course I tied up all sorts of variations. Crazy Charlies, Gotchas, and Puffs in 4, 6, 8 with no eyes, small bead chain eyes, large bead chain eyes, lead eyes in pink, tan, white, orange, tied thin, bushy, some with krystal flash wings. We didn't have much luck on the crabs but I tied a good amount of them as well. 9 times out of 10, our guide pulled a fly out of our box that was sparsley tied with pink and would choose the right size eyes for the depth of water we were casting too.

TroutAssassin
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Are you going to get a guide or fish out of a lodge? If so, ask them what style flies including colors, weights, and whether they like bushy flies or sparsley tied flies.
Agreed, If your going to be guided, nobody will know better than your outfitter. If you are not going to be guided, still ask local outfitters for suggestions.

Tarheelflyfishing
01-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I'd agree...get a bonefish guide...He knows the water like the back of his hand. To tell you the truth a guide down in the Bahamas is pretty much a necessity for a new bonefisherman to the area...

DrewDelashmit
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Even if you are planning to fish with a guide, be prepared and have plenty of flies. Guides in the Bahamas are not always as reliable as guides in the States when it comes to tackle. Granted this isn't always the case but it is better to be prepared just in case.

In terms of patterns, just about anything works. In my experience in the Bahamas the bonefish eat just about any pattern. Have a bunch of Gotchas in a variety of weights, everything from blind or tiny bead chains to heavy lead dumbbells. This allows you to cover all depths of water from fish tailing in ankle deep water to cruising and mudding fish in several feet.

Generally speaking the fish in the Bahamas are not nearly as choosy as fish in the Keys. With that in mind the basic patterns often work best and are the easiest/quickest to tie. There are some areas where the fish receive a lot of pressure and can be a bit more difficult to catch. In these places patterns might make a little difference but probably not nearly as much as presentation.

Drew

Carolina Boy
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks! I have gotten all the typical pattern info off the internet and have been givin money to LRO for materials ever since, I am going guided the first day or two and then doing it on my own we are staying on Cherokee Sound where you are supposed to be able to do-it-yourself. Also tied some tarpon flies that you showed us the other day just in case! Thanks so much for the help.

James Buice
02-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah...what Drew said.