PDA

View Full Version : Man of many questions (and very few answers!)

Bugbiter
01-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I was heading out tomorrow for your neck of the woods, and obviously going to do some fly fishing. How are the stream conditions? Any stream and fly recomendations? I like the thought of catching some decent size trout, but also want to catch some period. Wouldn't mind trying at some big ones for a while, but defiently want a back up stream where I am confident I can at least catch something. I won't have real long to fish. Just the weekend.
Also, my wife is coming down with me. She too enjoys flyfishing, but probably won't stick at it as long as me. She also really likes the shopping at Gatlinburg! Is it possible to drop me off at a stream and her take the car back to town for a while or will I need a vehicle to get from stream/spot to spot?
Thanks for all the help in advance. You guys and gals are great help!

Tarheelflyfishing
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
The conditions won't be all that bad tomorrow, upper 50's to low 60's will occur for the first time in a while. Still, the water will be very cold, as it hasn't been exposed to warm temperatures yet. You really have to get your fly down to the bottom and at the fish's prefered feeding lane. With all of this warm weather coming, don't be surprised to see a few early Spring bugs hatching...With that being said stick w/ nymphs...try a Green Weenie in #14-16. Also try the usual Pheasant Tail's in #16-20. Streamers will also produce a few fish...Slumpbusters, Zonkers, Clousers, and any of your favorite streamers...The best advice I can give you is to swing by LRO and ask them what they think...they'll set you in the right direction...Oh, and water levels aren't looking to bad either... Hope you catch 'em all...report back on how you did...

Speckleman5
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
It's not the best time to be hitting the streams, but a slow day in the creek is better than a good day at work. With the snowfall we received over the last few days, and the temperature being in the single digits to teens, I would suggest a lower elevation stream. Go for the bigger water, you are very unlikely to have a lot of pressure anywhere you go. Best of luck, I'll be wet wading in one of my favorite little speck streams Saturday, assuming it isn't frozen over.

Bugbiter
01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going to swing by LRO and get any help available. As to getting around without a vehicle, is this possible? I haven't been down in that area in a long long time and can't remember the stream locations. Is it possible to get dropped off on a stream and fish it for all day or am I going to want to have a vehicle to move from stream/ spot to spot?

Tarheelflyfishing
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I'd say you probably could manage without a car. You and your wife could fish for an hour or so and that should give you enough time to decide if you like the section of the river or not. If your catching fish, then you'll probably be fine fishing that spot for the day. You could also hike a little bit and explore other streams and different spots...

milligan trout degree
01-23-2009, 12:39 AM
I fished the small wild stream that runs through campus here the other day and picked up a couple small bows in about forty five minutes fishing a small but heavy wooly bugger trailed by a red copper john. both fish took the copper john. even saw a stray riser. i was fishing the bottom though and making a lot of repeat cast to likely spots. persistence is a must with stubborn cold fish.

Green Weenie
01-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I'll be wet wading in one of my favorite little speck streams Saturday, assuming it isn't frozen over.

Wow! I don't even like to wet wade in the summer.

:eek: I bow down to your sheer manliness, sir.

flyred06
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I would reconsider the wet wade. Man just the thoughts. EEK!

Speckleman5
01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
There are only 4 or 5 holes ill have to get ankle deep in...Probably get wetter walking in tomorrow morning.:biggrin:

cardfly
01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
And you Sir, are a steely-eyed missile man.:smile:

BlueRaiderFan
01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
There are only 4 or 5 holes ill have to get ankle deep in...Probably get wetter walking in tomorrow morning.:biggrin:

Which holes? Where are they on a map?:biggrin: