PDA

View Full Version : Abrams Creek - Little Bottoms Info

Crockett
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
First of all I am new here and very glad to be a part of this forum. I have been reading it for some time. I live in Maryville out Montvale road about 4 miles from the Abrams Creek ranger station. I wanted to fish up there some this year but not really sure what section I should be looking at. I have heard that the area near the front country campground wasn't good for trout but that I should go further upstream towards the falls. I have camped before at little bottoms so I am pretty familiar with that area. In general is the little bottoms campsite area pretty good or would you all keep going upstream farther towards the falls? Just curious and thanks for the help!

flyred06
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the board. I am not certain about the camp area you speak of but usually I park at the falls area and hike in about 1 to 1 1/4 miles below the falls. Careful when fishing because that becomes a lot of water to cover on the way out. Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the falls to get out. Once in it is a gorge you stay in all the way back. There is a lot of water I never cover. But it leaves me the options of plenty of water to choose from. I just do not want you to get in there and get trapped at night fall. Also the closer to the falls the slicker those rocks get. What you cover on ground hiking in becomes about 3 times that in water to cover getting out. But it is a beautiful place.

Crockett
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks flyred for the reply. I think why I am confused is when folks on here say below the falls I am thinking that means downstream from the falls ie towards Abrams Creek ranger station is that right? I have been on Abrams Creek a lot but never been to the falls. Keep in mind I am always on coming from the direction of the ranger station and not from the cades cove side.

flyred06
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Ok I am always goming from the cove section. I hike in at the falls and go down the trail then step off into the river and fish my way back. I have never been where you are talking about. I have never seen the ranger station at abrams. THis section I am referring to is awesome.

buzzmcmanus
01-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Crockett,

When you hike up from the ranger station, go until you've reached campsite 17 (I think this is the Little Bottoms campsite you mentioned). Start fishing anywhere after that. I normally start around Rabbit Creek, someone from the campsite usually beats me to the section at the campsite. There's alot of fishing between there and Abrams Creek falls. Quite a bit of it is hard to access due to the trail being quite a bit higher than the stream. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Buzz

Brian Griffing
01-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Crockett,
I know where you are talking about. I'd say I live a mile or so from you. I've wet a line there a few times half-heartedly when taking the kids for a walk or going swimming. I've never seen a trout in there, although I hear there are some in the colder months. There are guys on this board that can tell you a lot better than I can. I've read their posts about catching large rainbows in lower Abrams, but I have always fished Abrams upstream of the falls, in and around the big horseshoe. Other than trout running up from the lake, I think you have to get above the falls to find water trout live in year-round.

Allright, I just read Buzz's post. Seems you don't have to get above the falls. Still, I haven't seen any trout around the ranger station.

Kytroutbum
01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
I've caught s few decent bow's fishing upstream from Little Bottoms the very few times I camped there in the early summer, not sure how it fishes after that. Supposedly there are smallies up there around the established campground.

Crockett
01-27-2009, 02:24 PM
This is just what I was looking for thanks all. It seems from the replies here that there is good fishing above and below the falls ie a mile upstream and a mile downstream. I guess the upstream fishing would include the famous horseshoe area. Brian I live off of Sam James rd. near Ridge road. Yes # 17 is little bottoms. When I camped there last year I saw a guy fishing the creek right near the campsite.

Kytroutbum
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Just watch yourself in the Horseshoes, My brother and I almost spent the night there once. Allow plenty of time and take a partner with you. Also bring flashlights and extra food, (not kidding!!!)
Kytroutbum

Speckleman5
01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
It seems like I saw a post last week that talked about the mythical rainbow run up Abrams out of Chilowhee. I am not familiar with the area, but I plan on making a trip there in the next 3 weeks to see if maybe i can find one. Check around and see if you can find it. It may have been in the thread about the draw down. You should be able to catch a few trout between the lake and the falls this time of year. The water isn't nearly as bath wate warm as it gets in the summer time.

troutslayer3393
01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
My dad lives on Montvale road and I have never fished the lower section of Abrams Creek. I was wanting to know the distance from the ranger station to campsite #17. (how far is the hike)

buzzmcmanus
01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I think it's about 5 miles from the ranger station to the falls, so the campsite would be about 3 miles from the ranger station.

Crockett
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Buzz is right it's about 3 miles from the ranger station to little bottoms capsite # 17. There is one little ridge you have to cross over right at the start of little bottoms trail that elevates up about 300 feet in a tenth of a mile that can be taxing sometimes. Then it drops right back down 300 feet and you are alongside Abrams for the last half mile to site # 17. Site # 17 is really nice big and flat with lots of camping spots. Last August I stayed there on a Saturday night and there was only one other fellow there a grad student who was studying black bears. He was fly fishing and told me he didn't catch any that night but hadn't fished for very long. He had seen a bear come to the creek to drink and it saw him and left. I didn't fish back then just backpacking but it looked like an aweful nice stretch of creek. I won't be doing the horseshoe anytime soon I am just a beginner and have a lot of miles to fish and get experience before trying that if I ever do.

PeteCz
01-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Charlie [nvr2l8] and I fished the area around campsite #17 early in March last year with little (no) success. I caught a 12" sucker and we had a few strikes later in the day. The weather was pretty miserable so the fishing could be pretty good and we wouldn't have known it. This time of year there are fish there, but the farther up you go the better the fishing gets. To get to the Abrams Gorge section its probably a bit shorter from Cades Cove (of course you have to get to the trailhead in Cades Cove...)

There were some posts in the past talking about huge fish running up form the lake, but no one has posted lately (Of course that doesn't mean that no one has caught any:cool:).

Do a search on "Little Bottoms"...

troutslayer3393
01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the info :biggrin:

Chuckwalla
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I made two trips two years ago: one in early Spring, one in early Summer. Totals: one chub, one small mouth. There are better places to fish, but it's a very pretty place. I started at the campground both times.

nvr2L8
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
The only thing more exciting than going to Little Bottoms was leaving it. Taking Pete up Jake's Creek last year was just payback for that day. Took me a few months but revenge is sweet. :rolleyes:

Although, it was a really nice looking sucker and the blue quills were coming off in droves. If only there had been some trout to go along with them.

Art Vandalay
01-29-2009, 06:36 AM
This is one of the largest fish I have caught in the park, landed in the Abrams creek campground in October several years ago. I broke one off that dwarfed this one in the same hole.http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc9/mchllamb/0273280-R2-038-17A.jpg

pineman19
01-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice fish Art. Amazing all the negative talk about lower Abrams ended after your post

Art Vandalay
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Pineman,

As always with the big ones, I happened to be in the right place at the the right time.

sammcdonald
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
The footlog bridge crossing Abrams Creek at the Rabbit Creek trailhead (near Abrams Creek Campground) has washed out

Crockett
01-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey Sam yeah I saw the footbridge at the rabbit creek trailhead washed out a couple of weeks ago when I was up there. That one goes out almost every year in the spring due to heavy rains and this year it went very early. I don't think the park service will be in a rush to replace it till after the spring rains probably late april or may before they do but thats just a guess.

Mark_Cathey
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
I've always liked fishing the "Big Horsehoe" on Abram's. Don't know if it's still called that (it was the way the old timers always referred to it) but you can see it on the map as the section of trail between the falls and the cove where the river flows away from the trail and makes a wide sweep before almost doubling back on itself on the backside of a high narrow ridge. It's commando fishing a lot of the way; there are a lot of snaky spots in the summer and fall, and the bottom (like everywhere downstream of the cove) is slicker than snot and full of those ankle-breaker rock formations, but it's beautiful and I rarely see anyone else back in there.
Just pack a lunch, give yourself a minimum of 3-4 hours to fish through and be sure to let someone know where you're going.

JoeFred
09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Maps of Abrams Creek in the Little Bottoms area and the Cove are now available.