PDA

View Full Version : Peerless

flyred06
01-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Does anyone have any experience or care to give a voice about the peerless reels that looks like some of the hardy reels?

jmelrod
01-28-2009, 08:02 PM
They are pretty expensive reels. But look pretty nice. I have no personal experience. Most (at least 4) of my reels are Islander. It's a Canadian company that makes some great products.

flyred06
01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I will check out this Islander reel. I agree peerless is expensive (very). I think my next reel will be a Bauer.:cool:

gmreeves
01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I picked one or two up at the fly expo in Atlanta over the weekend. They look nice and have some good weight to them. Nice quiet and smooth click and pawl. I cast a rod that had one on it and it seemed to balance it out nicely. Never fished with one though. I know Bill Oyster caught a monster striper on one of his six weights with a click and pawl peerless. I don't think I could afford one right now though. Personally, I think there are many better options out there for less money but if you like it, get it. I hope to buy one one day but that will be far off. They look great on a cane rod.

flyred06
01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
That is where I seen them and played with them. Matter of fact it was at Bill Oysters stand I looked at it and cast his rods. I had posted last week asking if anyone was planning on attending, we could have finally met. I agree those are nice reels but $650 nice I am not sure.

gmreeves
01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I thought I wasn't going to be able to go but at the last minute I decided to run over on Sunday morning. We were back in Birmingham by 2:00. What did you think of Bill Oyster's rods?

flyred06
01-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Beautiful and cast like a dream. The hollow cane that he builds is the one I cast with the wulf triangle taper line. They cast better than any graphite I have ever cast. His mastery rods with the engraving detail that he does himself is perfect. We were over there sunday at 10.00 and did not leave till the last seminar about photographing you catch was done. Bill oyster prove to every one in his casting demo that cane could cast as well as the new high modules graphite. I definately like the flamed rods more than the blonde.

gmreeves
01-29-2009, 02:37 PM
That hollow rod you cast was the first hollow rod he has made. It was a good caster. I chatted with him about the hollow rod and how much weight it saves. I have made two hollow rods so far and mine have saved about 25%. One rod is finished, the other still needs to be wrapped. His finish work is amazing and really gives me something to strive for. That is all I have thought about since last Sunday.

flyred06
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
one day soon when this weather breaks I am coming down and see your rods. From all your photos that I have seen, you make a good looking rod yourself. I to have though real hard about those since sunday. I love that presidential that he made for Jimmy Carter. The engraving of the presidential seal on the end cap is awesome.

gmreeves
01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I thought I wouldn't like the engraving because it would be to gawdy but after seeing it in person, it looked very classy. I can't say enough about what I thought about the presentation of his rods. My jaw dropped when I picked up the first one. Having never held any other bamboo than the ones I have made I was anxious to get to the show. I knew that Bill Oyster is supposed to be one of the best so I was really wanting to see what is capable. Thanks for the compliments about the pictures but don't expect to see an Oyster quality rod when you make it down. I actually went home and sanded my first hex down and polished the finish back to a bright shine and it looks ten times better. I still have a lot to learn but will get there.

flyred06
01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Don't worry gmreeves with a little time and experience you may become the next Bill Oyster. I am sure he did not start up with what he has now. Your pics show some great looks. I honestly can not wait to cast one. The added engraved hardwear he told me was $1500. I would say it is worth every penny.

Grumpy
01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Bogdan has a great knockoff of the Peerless for less money.

Grumpy

flyred06
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I will check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

flyred06
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Grumpy I done a google on your suggestion but all I came up with was music stuff. But I will keep a check on it. Thanks

gmreeves
01-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Bogdans are pretty hefty in price. A couple of thousand and I'm not sure if they are still made. I think Grumpy might have been referring to Bill Ballan.

flyred06
01-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Did a search on those gm and they are nice. Still a little hefty though. I think I might just try and save up till I can get a peerless one day. Maybe, as a retirement gift. HA HA

gmreeves
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that would be nice. I only have about 35 more years 'til retirement. You can get most of the smaller Ballan reels for less than $300 on their website.

flyred06
01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Ok I missed that on the site I searched. I will still for right now probably go with a bauer from LRO. I am a big fan of the older CFO made in england and I may search a few more of them out. I just love that classy look of those peerless.

flyred06
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
do you know anyone who has one of those reels or any comment on them? they look great and are affordable but what about there quality?

gmreeves
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I sent you an email earlier. After the discussion, I looked over on Clark's forum for some info on the Ballan reels and what I got was, they aren't a peerless or bellinger but they are very nice for the money. I also found one in their classifieds that was posted yesterday for $150 so I snagged it. I figured it would be worth it just to see and then I'm sure I can get my money back out of it when I am done. It was the Model 50, which is modeled after one of the old raised piller Leonard reels with a half handle. When it comes in, you can come down and take a look or we could meet up and fish somewhere for the day.

stuart
02-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Gmreeves or flyfred06 if you guys can email me @ troutbum1978@yahoo.com. I can't find a PM button on here anymore. I have some questions, thanks guys.

STU

flyred06
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
gmreeves I replied back in email. Weather permitting I may try and get down your way this Sat. I would love to see them and see your rods.