PDA

View Full Version : 43 inch brown on 5x in South Holston

snaildarter
01-30-2009, 03:37 AM
I apologize if this has already been posted here and I somehow missed it. It was taken by Travis France on December 24th, and released. 5x tippet, and without a net. Travis says he also hooked and lost a male nearly the same size close by that day. This fish looks like it could be about 25 or 30 pounds to me.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/asdfasdfaseeee/TravisFranceand43inchfemalebrownSH1.jpg

Flat Fly n
01-30-2009, 07:32 AM
What a fish! Congrats

Amazing what a few regs will do to a fishery.

CinciVol
01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
wow, that's unbelievable

flyred06
01-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Wow this is one awesome fish. Can you imagine his excitement?:smile:

ACinEastTN
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I have seen this pic on a cell phone. This one is much clearer. I heard the tape measure formula came to around 35lbs.

Wilson10
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Man ole man... I don't think I would sleep for a week if caught something like that!

ChemEAngler
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
With fish like that swimming around in the SoHo, I am scared to get back in the water again.....

Outstanding fish.

Wilson10
01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
With fish like that swimming around in the SoHo, I am scared to get back in the water again.....

Outstanding fish.

Yeah a fish like that could easily take a mans leg and go up stream with it!

:biggrin:

Tarheelflyfishing
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Errr....captain we're gonna need a bigger boat..:eek:

Worrgamesguy
01-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Travis says he also hooked and lost a male nearly the same size close by that day.

Gentlemen this is where you study the background setting real hard and find that spot in the river ;)

That almost looks TOO big... I enjoy my 16-18 inchers, haven't caught anything bigger (that I know of).

ChemEAngler
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Gentlemen this is where you study the background setting real hard and find that spot in the river ;)

That almost looks TOO big... I enjoy my 16-18 inchers, haven't caught anything bigger (that I know of).

I already know where that is at, but that doesn't mean I can catch one.

Worrgamesguy
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I bet you could... You've caught much larger fish than I have at least.

jmelrod
01-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow what a fish! Glad to hear about the release.

Green Weenie
01-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I caught a fish like that once...:rolleyes:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7641/fishjackedsv5.th.jpg (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fishjackedsv5.jpg)

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

(Apologies to Travis for the fish-jacking.)

snaildarter
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Congrats on your fish Green Weenie. That's a dandy!

I'm glad the fish was released also. Although it's hard to believe that a fish that big, fat, and old would live very long after being caught on 5x without a net, and then photo'd and measured. But as healthy as it looks, and as smart as it must be to have avoided all that pressure for so long, maybe it is doing just fine, snubbing every imperfect fisherman's fly that drifts past it.

milligan trout degree
01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
[quote=Worrgamesguy;62554]Gentlemen this is where you study the background setting real hard and find that spot in the river ;)

I'm willing to bet a lot of members on this board know exactly what rock he's standing on in this picture. A lot of big fish come out of this area especially in late november through mid january. I witnessed three over 30" come out, but never saw any fish like this one come out. Unreal. What's crazy, is when you're fishing the slick water below where this fish was caught you see those 30" fish come clear out of the water. It'll blow your mind knowing what's so close to you in that river.

troutslayer3393
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
WOW...thats all I have to say about that. That fish would devour a cherokee trophy!:eek:

Milligan Trout Phenom
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats a **** of fish man...Im very impressed.That has to be state record quality, and i checked the world record fish and that fish would have been 3rd or 4th on the world record chart!Whats sad is i fish the soho alot and i caught one about 23inches and my buddy caught one 24inches and i was overwhelmed by our fish, but u shattered my fish by 20inches...im not even mad im impressed!haha:biggrin:..again nice fish...can i ask if you caught it on the egg pattern?

BlueRaiderFan
01-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Man, I could cut a big slab of bacon off the side of that sucker!

wynnsman
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Im glad you said that Wargames, I belive I know exactlly where it was taken, along with CB76 because we fish just up from there alot. That is the biggest ive seen on a fly rod in a long time. I have seen 2 that may have been bigger but they where taken on a Lucky Craft jerkbait.

nvr2L8
01-30-2009, 11:58 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted here and I somehow missed it.
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/asdfasdfaseeee/TravisFranceand43inchfemalebrownSH1.jpg

Actually, I think this fish has been posted before! :biggrin:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/jamescc76/n67000948_30457884_2290.jpg

flynut
01-31-2009, 12:26 AM
First off...nvr, that's hilarious!

Second off...I would seriously be scared that that fish would try to eat my foot....Well, not really, but if I saw it swim past my, I'd probably not be able to cast for a few minutes at least!!!

Congrats on the fish!!!

snaildarter
01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
can i ask if you caught it on the egg pattern?
I did not catch the fish (although gosh, I sure wish I did!). A guy named Travis France did. I don't know him personally.

ttas67
01-31-2009, 02:21 AM
charlie, that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. the brown has gotta be a state record.

ChemEAngler
01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Current record is 28.75 lbs from the Clinch River. Had this fish been officially weighed it possibly could have been a new record. If TN had a separate record for fly caught fish, I would put money on it beating that record.

However, it says a lot about somebody who chooses to release a fish of that size. I consider myself a C&R fisherman, but I have never had to make a decision regarding a fish of that size.

Didn't I read something recently about how some states are looking at considering using the formula calculated weights in determining record status? Maybe in a recent issue of FlyFisherman Magazine.....

MadisonBoats
01-31-2009, 10:40 AM
NVR... That is too funny bro...

I must say that it is not always the accomplishments of men that gain my greatest respect; by releasing the fish; I have the utmost respect for Travis!

Second point, always take a camera. You can get a fake fish mount cheaper than a real one and it will look closer to the real deal.

Good Job Travis!

milligan trout degree
01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Current record is 28.75 lbs from the Clinch River. Had this fish been officially weighed it possibly could have been a new record. If TN had a separate record for fly caught fish, I would put money on it beating that record.

However, it says a lot about somebody who chooses to release a fish of that size. I consider myself a C&R fisherman, but I have never had to make a decision regarding a fish of that size.

Didn't I read something recently about how some states are looking at considering using the formula calculated weights in determining record status? Maybe in a recent issue of FlyFisherman Magazine.....

Fly fisherman mag ran a article about a new method coming out and the possibilities of it being used for claiming records. Had some cool graphs and stats along with it. I forget what the new formula was but im sure i have the magazine around somewhere.

Stonefly
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Charlie -

You made me laugh loud!

sb

flynut
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
The article is the May 2008 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine, page 12. The author, Tom Keelin, measured 102 fish (mainly steelhead), and came up with the formula: weight=length x girth(squared)/690.

There is another snippet in the September 2008 issue of a giant brown that is estimated at 41.66 lbs using the above formula. In that same article it states that the IGFA all-tackle record brown trout is 40lb 4oz.

Comparing the fish in this post to the photo in the the September 2008 article, I'd venture a guess that this fish weighs closer to 40lbs, rather than the 25-30 mentioned earlier.

Either way, that's an awesome fish and maybe I'll be that lucky why I hit the Caney in a couple hours!