PDA

View Full Version : First Deer Hair Dahlberg Diver

Grousegunner
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Just finished my first spun deer hair fly. Thought I would post some pics for you experts to analyze. I just used the colors I had available...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/jessechaffin/DSCN0175.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/jessechaffin/DSCN0179.jpg

Can't wait to test this out on the bass waters come spring...

Grousegunner

Kytroutbum
01-31-2009, 01:31 AM
GREAT TIE- I've got a LOVE-HATE relationship with Dahlbergs. Love to fish them- hate to try to cut the diving heads on them!!It's my favorite smallie fly on the Licking River. I tie mine all white on a 6 or 4 stinger with a short rabbit zonker strip tail and a little sparser (My own preference, yours is great.
First one- Congrat's.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum

Stonefly
01-31-2009, 01:28 PM
I can see that sticking out of a fish face already. Tying with deer hair is one of the toughest techniques. Yours looks great.

sb

3wt
01-31-2009, 07:53 PM
May want to make the collar a little bit shorter. Those look great for your first try or even your tenth! I like adding eyes to mine, makes a big difference.

Grousegunner
01-31-2009, 10:08 PM
I wanted to add some eyes, but I didn't have any. Probably should trim down the collar a bit...I was just worried that I would take off too much...

SWAMPUS
02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Grousegunner,have you tried the clump method of tying deer hair?It's a little quicker and not nearly so frustrating.Result is the same.In some ways I think it makes it easier to make a very tight head while at the same time eliminating some of the trimming.If you aren't familiar with this let me know.

Grousegunner
02-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I've never heard of the clump method. How does that work?

Grousegunner

flyred06
02-02-2009, 09:59 AM
that looks really good to me. I would purhase it if I saw it in a store somewhere. I can not wait to see it in a big smallmouth or large mouths face.

SWAMPUS
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Grouseginner-Start your fly as usual up to starting the hair.Take a match sized clump of hair and instead of laying it on the shank,hold it slightly above and take 1 turn of thread around the clump only-not clump+shank.Move both hands forward and push clump over eye so top of thread only goes over eye.Pull bobbin and slide clump back and it will flare.Take a half-hitch and compress using stacker.I know-your cornfused.Remember where the thread passes under the clump goes above the shank.You're encircling the clump and putting the circle over the eye.If you use three fingers to hold clump,top finger pushes the thread over the eye.Repeat as oftren as necess. to build body.You'll find you can position the clumps around the shank to get an evenly packed body+position most of the hair above or to the sides to minimize belly trimming.Let me know if you get this.If you have problems,we'll arrange with byron for you to call me.swampus

Grousegunner
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Alright, SWAMPUS. I think I understand your instructions. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks for the help.

Grousegunner