PDA

View Full Version : Tellico River

ajh10567
01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
I am about to head up to the tellico river tomorrow for the first time, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations for flies and possibly which area of the river will be the most productive?

nvr2L8
02-01-2009, 12:43 AM
ajh,

Good to hear from you again. If I was going to Tellico, I would go up Bald River. Wild trout, not stockers. It's going to be slow wherever you go on Sunday - the water temps are really low right now. May be all the more reason to go after the stockers, though. From Bald River Falls on up Tellico it's a beautiful stretch of river for miles. Can't go wrong anywhere up there. And you sure won't be fighting the crowds like you would in warmer weather.

Brian Griffing
02-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Ajh,
Charlie is right, Bald river is beautiful, but that gorge may block most of the sunlight. You might find more willing fish if you cruise the road along Tellico and North River looking for sunny spots.

ajh10567
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Beautiful day of fishing even though I did not get the chance to land a fish. Ended up getting a somewhat late start, which led to me not being able to wet a line until about 1 o'clock a couple miles down river of bald river falls. We fished there for around an hour without a bump so we decided to move upriver about 100 yards about bald river falls. I still no bites for about another hour until I hooked a very large fish which I fought for close to 5 minutes until he brought me under a rock and broke off my tippet. I was at fault here because i decided to go with my new 3 wt that I got for christmas, and I had not been able to try it out yet since I was only fishing tailwaters. That ended up being my only bite of the day, and sure was one heck of a fight. So my buddy and I both ended up skunked. We fished every nymph in the box from copper johns to phesant tails to hares ear without much luck. It was great to get back into the beautiful mountain scenary.