PDA

View Full Version : Gallatin Area

asummitt
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Has anyone fished the Gallatin in early spring, late April early May? I've got a family trip that suddenly turned fishing trip, but planned during the wrong time of the year. Any info is appreciated. Yellowstone is closed unil the last weekend in May, so that narrows my options.

James Buice
02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
It can be iffy that time of year. I've been out when the BWOs were thick and then when it was nearly out of its banks. My buddy lives on the river just below Bucks T4 and the road leading to Big Sky. If you go up in the canyon and fish it, if the river is in shape, you should have some decent fishing. Surely not the most consistent time to go.

I'd also look at paying to fish the MZ Ranch spring creeks just outside of Bozeman. Good fishing and the spring creeks will give you more consistent fishing than the freestoners. The Missouri would also be worth checking out as would the Yellowstone if it's in shape.

James

3wt
02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I went last year late may to early june and the river was high. However if you go all the way up stream until the river enters the park there is a part of the river that splits up into like four different parts. This area is almost a meadow stream with pretty muddy bottom but it saved our day. The main river was way too high but these little side parts held some fish. Caught them on princes and cased caddis.
If you have google earth then you can search for Along Rte 191 and if you zoom in on the area that is the braided section i'm talking about. Click on the Gallatin River valley picture and it shows the part better. Hope this helps

Tiger fly
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I went last year late may to early june and the river was high. However if you go all the way up stream until the river enters the park there is a part of the river that splits up into like four different parts. This area is almost a meadow stream with pretty muddy bottom but it saved our day. The main river was way too high but these little side parts held some fish. Caught them on princes and cased caddis.
If you have google earth then you can search for Along Rte 191 and if you zoom in on the area that is the braided section i'm talking about. Click on the Gallatin River valley picture and it shows the part better. Hope this helps

We caught some very nice trout in this very section early last fall after the water had dropped. Gorgeous area on the Gallatin as it leaves the Park. Caught ours on hoppers with a copper john dropper.