PDA

View Full Version : Cataloochee Creek below Asbury Crossing?

MtnMike
02-04-2009, 11:40 AM
The thread about lower Abrams, got me to wondering again about an area I have never really fished. I have explored every inch of Cataloochee from Asbury Crossing back upstream but I have only ventured a short ways below Asbury Crossing. Has anyone gone very far downstream? I do not know anything about Waterville Lake and was wondering are there any Rainbows that might run up Cataloochee? What about Smallmouth, any in Waterville or the lower reaches of Cataloochee? I'm not sure what the distances are, but it looks like maybe 2-3 miles from Asbury Crossing down to Waterville, with about 2/3rds of that in the park. Would love to hear from anyone who has been down through there.

Mike

duckypaddler
02-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Cataloochee Creek is so pristine to empty into the waste of the paper mill that waterville lake is. Nasty! Many kayakers won't do this run because the lake paddle out is so nasty. If you wanted to fish it I think it's not too hard for wilderness exploring. I know there is a road about .4 miles from a long way down the creek that we were exploring to cut out the lake paddle out. Could hike in there. Just get out you Gazeteer(Tenessee Road Map) and you'll figure out what I'm saying.

MtnMike
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the input duckypaddler. I also appreciate the information you provided on the Raven and lower Abrams. I think it is safe to say the for any of those stream ideal paddling levels are far from ideal wading levels.
Just curious on Cataloochee. According to the gauge at Asbury Crossing, I have fished it as low as 2.00 feet and as high as 2.80 feet what would you guys want to see in order to run it?

Mike

duckypaddler
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the input duckypaddler. I also appreciate the information you provided on the Raven and lower Abrams. I think it is safe to say the for any of those stream ideal paddling levels are far from ideal wading levels.
Just curious on Cataloochee. According to the gauge at Asbury Crossing, I have fished it as low as 2.00 feet and as high as 2.80 feet what would you guys want to see in order to run it?

Mike

2.7 feet is a minimum. 6 feet max. I'd say you would need atleast 3.2 or so not to scrape on rocks. As most streams paddling and wading levels are different. Although at low end of boatable levels there should be plenty of "good fishing"

Hugh Hartsell
02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Mike,
There are old abandon trails that run down both sides of the stream, with a crossing or two on the way down. The stream gets larger as you go down toward Walters Lake and is home to some huge browns and lots of small and a few medium rainbows. The large brown trout population has really done a number on medium sized fish. They are very predatory and have taken over almost every large hole on the stream. You'll never catch one of them out of these large holes using normal fishing methods. You've got to throw some meat at them and get them enticed. Don't be surprised to see fish up to 30inches long coming after your fly.
Hugh

MtnMike
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Hugh,

I was just about to decide not to explore that area, but now you have me reconsidering. I may have to take a look with some big 'ol streamers.
Glad to see you on the board, we continue to lift you in our prayers.

Mike