PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Crawdad Claw from Hazel Ck

mayday
02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Makes you wonder what size of crawdad was connected to this claw! We believe the claw is about 5" long. We found it on the bank on Hazel Creek last summer betwen the ghost town and the dry kiln. Anyone else seen a crayfish this large? It makes you wonder how many fish have fallen prey to it. I am glad I had wading boots on!

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/jeffwadley/Flyfishing/100_2288.jpg

Bran
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Steam it up and get some butter!!

gmreeves
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I've caught trout on hazel smaller . . .

flyred06
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Are you sure that isn't a lobster? I have seen some big ones on the cattaloochi (probably spelt wrong). But none were that big. Glad you had your camera along with you for the pic.

Kytroutbum
02-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Has any of the "hot stuff" from Oak Ridge, drifted east? Did it glow in the dark?

Speckleman5
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
i found one around the same size in Cataloochee last year. It was as blue as could be, beautiful.

jeffnles1
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
My son just asked if they make steel toe wading boots!

That thing is huge. I'l love to see the rest of it.

We need to get some photos of that thing and post signs during "tubing" season:

Warning - Habitat of Smokey Mountain Attack Lobsters - Wade and Float at your own risk"

Jeff

troutslayer3393
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Even better...we could get some of those signs from pigeon forge that say This body of water contains high concentrations of fecal bacteria (e coli) and post them on the west prong of the little river. That might solve some of the tubing/tourist problem in the summer:biggrin:

sammcdonald
02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
remember the mountain piranha....

David Knapp
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
remember the mountain piranha....

Never saw those signs myself but heard about it...funny stuff...

ijsouth
02-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Man, that's a big crawfish claw...and you don't steam them - you boil them...get the Zaterain's crab boil and go to town on them.

We saw some good sized claws at Cosby either last year or the year before, but nothing like that.

troutslayer3393
02-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I assure you that this guy knows what he is talking about....he is from Louisiana:biggrin: Do you do any red fishing much down there. Ive always wanted to go red fishing in Louisiana. And try their seafood :biggrin:

ijsouth
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I've done more than my share of fishing for reds, but not much lately, and not with a fly rod. I have a perfectly good boat (that needs a little work), and I bought a fine 9wt outfit from Byron a few years back that I've only made a few casts with; it's tough - there just isn't much time between work, the kids at school, soccer, etc...and then, when we do get a break, we just can't stay away from the mountains - it's an escape for us. I do want to get out on the water locally this year some - not to sound like the chamber of commerce, but we have probably the best inshore saltwater fishing in the world down here. The fishery is just incredible. Right now is the slowest time, because of the fronts, low water in the marsh, and particularly the wind, but once the winds start to lie down, it really turns on. The speckled trout get really active in May, and stay that way all summer, and the reds in the interior marshes are always there - a lot of times, you can sight-fish them.