PDA

View Full Version : Confused about bears

hedge
02-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Was reading in the report today about the bear activitiy? Isn't it winter in the Smokies? Don't bears hibernate in winter? I thought I knew the answers to those questions, but obviously I don't.

Thanks, hedge in wv

sammcdonald
02-07-2009, 03:52 PM
bears here do not actually hibernate....the females generally will den up with last years cubs or to have this years crop.....males come and go throughout the winter....a sow and 2 cubs were spotted near sugarlands two weeks ago and a male was spotted on a wooden safety rail on the spur about a week ago.....

flyguys
02-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Do the bears roam on any given day, or is it mainly on a warm winter day?? I thought you would never encounter a bear in the middle of winter. Thanks for the heads up!

sammcdonald
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
mostly warmer days, but you might just encounter an insomniac bear who is grumpy from lack of sleep....who is tired of watching tv, read all his books, and thinks a nice stroll might make him sleep.

BlueRaiderFan
02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I may be incorrect (I've been out of college for a LONG time :biggrin:), but I think bears don't go into a true hibernation. I think they go into a "torper," which is basically a deep sleep that they wake form on occasion. Most likely if you meet one, they will be too groggy to care, unless they are starving for some reason and then you may have trouble. A female with cubs is ALWAYS bad news, so stear clear of her. Read up on surviving black bear attacks and carry bear spray and a decent knife. The odds are HUGE that you will not even see a bear, much less need to use your spray, much less need to use your knife, but just in that .00001 percent chance that you see a bear close enough to you to need either, you should have them. Most of the bears I have met on the trail have ran from me and gone 50 feet before I can stop crapping my pants to run the other direction, so I wouldn't even worry about it other than to know how to react to one if you happen to see one.

flyguys
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I know that if I encountered one "on the trail" my shorts would be full of bricks! Maybe I could throw them at the bear instead of using bear spray!:eek:

BlueRaiderFan
02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
mostly warmer days, but you might just encounter an insomniac bear who is grumpy from lack of sleep....who is tired of watching tv, read all his books, and thinks a nice stroll might make him sleep.

Now that's funny...:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I know that if I encountered one "on the trail" my shorts would be full of bricks! Maybe I could throw them at the bear instead of using bear spray!:eek:

You will win the lottery before you actually get attacked by a bear, but at least carry the spray, just in case.

lauxier
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I have always been merry,a nature boy,bear inhibitions gone,when I fish the Park in the winter..my gosh..next thing you'll be telling me is GM is going under..