PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report - Y Water Temp

nvr2L8
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
While the scale is all wrong, the direction is definitely promising. This is from the Farenheidt version of the USGS water temp. Can't wait to get a couple more days in the 60's on top of this! :biggrin:

Look out Smokies trout - you're goin' down!
http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/nexhads2/servlet/CreateDCPChart?nesdis_id=DD5263E0&nwsli=TWNT1&minimumdate=6&maximumdate=0&location=LITTLE+RIVER+ABOVE+TOWNSEND+2SE&pe_code=TWNT1TW

ALflygirl
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Got get em Charlie!

David Knapp
02-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I've been anxiously watching the general trends as well. Later this week I'll have a few days free and hope to visit the Smokies. Things are definitely looking promising...:cool:

jeffnles1
02-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I was fishing Friday between 3 and 5 on the East Prong about .5 miles above the Y toward Elkmont. The places I took the water temp it was 34 degrees in the couple sunny spots I found. I took it pretty deep in a pool and it was also 34. Up by Tremont there was quite a bit of ice still on the water.

Even though the fish were not biting, it was a beautiful day to be on in the mountains and on the water. The water levels looked great. The water was very clear.

I got one bump that may have been a fish, but it could also have been a rock. I'm going to convince myself it was a fish.

Jeff

ps. If you all have never taken one of Walter's fly tying classes at LRO, it's quite a fun way to spend a day.

js

nvr2L8
02-09-2009, 07:04 AM
If you'll notice, this chart is changing as time goes by. I posted it last night about 8:00 and it's showing progress since that time. Cool. :rolleyes:

PeteCz
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Comparing it to the fishing report, It looks like the gauge maybe reading 20 degrees too high...or it could be completely messed up...

Is it Spring yet???

Treecatcher2
02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Jeff
it was a fish, a huge fish. A brown trout so large that it is mistaken for an alligator or small aircraft carrier...

not that anyone round here has cabin/work fever...

jeffnles1
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Jeff
it was a fish, a huge fish. A brown trout so large that it is mistaken for an alligator or small aircraft carrier...

not that anyone round here has cabin/work fever...

My friend, I like the way you think!

Jeff

Byron Begley
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I took the water temperature at 5:30 pm here in town tonight. It was 46 degrees. That will be posted on the Fishing Report tomorrow because I have an early meeting in Maryville tomorrow and I'll be writing the report from home early in the morning. It's getting warmer. I'm happy about that. The probe and equipment at the "Y" need to be calibrated. I called USGS and left a message that the data is wrong. They usually come out and take care of it when I call. If they don't I'll call them again. Like many Government agencies they are understaffed for the job they are asked to do.

Byron

PeteCz
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
From the 46 degree reading this evening in town, I'd say the temp gauge may be consistent, but like you said just needs to be calibrated. It looks to be about 18 to 20 degrees off. Which would work now and over the period of the 4th through the 6th when it was hovering around the freezing mark.

So even though its not correct, it appears that if we subtract 18 degrees from the reading we should have a good idea of what the temp is...like that's going to stop me from going fishing tomorrow, Friday and/or Saturday...

Come on 70s........:p

nvr2L8
02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
We've known for a while that the readings couldn't be trusted but the exciting part is seeing the steady climb over the last couple of days. I mean, from 32 to 46 is pretty incredible and there's more warm weather and rain on the way. By this weekend the conditions should be primo.

Once again, nothing like living 30 minutes from great trout streams. We are truly blessed.

So, Byron, it's like finding out that sometimes the gas company just estimates your usage for the month! I'll guess we'll give you this one.