PDA

View Full Version : Abrams Creek Info.

bredmon930
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
hello, im planning a 2 day fishing trip down to the smokies in april. Ive only fished in the park once and that was with a guide on bradley creek in NC. Ive read some articles and alot of posts on here about abrams and was wanting to spend one of my days fishing it. Now i read about below the falls and the horse shoe. Ive been looking at my nat geo map and i have some questions. one..which direction does abrams flow, is it out of or into cades cove. two...exactly what do you all call the horse shoe. on the map i can see three possibles, one being the really big almost loop one at what is about 1.5 miles from the cades cove trail head, and then there are 2 more smaller horse shoe shaped bends close to the falls. three...where on abrams offers the best fishing and most likely spot that i wont be following behind someone. and four... which way would be the easiest way to get there cades cove trailhead or the little bottoms trail head. and if cades cove what time do they open and shut the gates, i dont want to get in there and not be able to get out!!! any additional information that you all and give me would be greatly appreciated. Im very intrested in fishing the horse shoe. thanx and look forward to hearing from you.

PeteCz
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I'll give you my two cents worth. The fishing on Abrams may be good in April (actually it could be great depending on the weather, etc), but because you have to travel to the far end of the cove it will be a pain to get to the Abrams Falls Trailhead. On the weekend, if the weather is nice, it will be a nightmare. It may take 60 minutes to get from one end to the other (and honestly, I'm not exaggerating). There are too many other great places in the park to fish...but that's just me...

As far as your questions...
1) The water flows from the cove, down the Abrams falls trail towards Chilhowee.
2) The first horseshoe is the Big Horseshoe and its a long day of very treacherous fishing. The silt mixed with the jagged rock formations of the streambed make for some of the toughest wading you will ever do. The second horseshoe is much smaller and its the Little Horseshoe. The third bend on the map is just a bend and contains the falls.
3) Again this is my opinion, but if you're itchin' to fish Abrams and its on a weekend, I would stick to the section before the Big 'shoe or below Abrams Falls. This way you can see if anyone is on the stream before you get to the part you want to fish. If you fish one of the 'shoes you might not be able to see anyone in front of you until you are well into it. There is good fishing on the Big 'shoe, but I'm not sure its better than the upper section of the stream...
4) Easiest....no such thing really. The drive back to the trailhead through the cove is a killer. If you really like hiking, you could come in from below through Little Bottoms, but it makes for a long day and you wouldn't have enough time to fish the Big 'shoe.

If you can can make it during the week, it may be much more doable. But don't do it yourself...seriously. Its too dangerous and it just won't be any fun you'll constantly be thinking "what the heck am I gonna do if I break my ankle?". Take someone with you, if you have to do it...

Keep this in mind:
Cades Cove Loop Road
Open all year from sunrise until sunset
This road will be closed to motor vehicles on Wednesday and Saturday mornings until 10:00 a.m. from May 6 - September 23, 2009 to allow bicyclists and pedestrians to enjoy the cove.

nvr2L8
02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm glad I double checked the thread before I posted my answer - my responses were almost identical to Pete's.

My one deviation from Pete's answer would be that when you get off the stream at the top end of the Shoe, it sure is nice to be near your car after a hard day of fishing rather than hiking back out the bottom end. Yeah, the traffic is horrendous but... Guess I'm just not as ambitious a hiker as Pete.

bredmon930
02-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanx for the info pete. Abrams was just an idea. im not set on it just trying to figure a game plan. What other suggestions do you have. For me hiking isn't a problem, although i don't want to spend more time hiking in than fishing. im 25 and i frame houses for a living, so lazy is something i am not.

The only other person i see is my reflection in the water is definately not a problem, although i know in the spring in the smokies sometimes that could be hard to do. If someone on here would like to join me one day, im game for that :biggrin:. Spending a day with an experienced smokies fisherman would be great.

And catching lots of fish is not something im worried about, although its a definate plus. I could fish all day and only catch one fish and be pleased as punch. My sayin is "a horrible day of fishing.....theres no such thing"

again any input is greatly appreciated. thanx guys

Kytroutbum
02-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't think fishing is really any better there than anywhere else in the park, its not like it used to be years ago. I used to fish it more than anyother stream in the park when it was trophy water.

If you plan on fishing the "big shoe" on a spring Saturday, you probably will not have enough time to get in,fish through the loop and hike out before dark. EVERY YEAR, PEOPLE SPEND THE NIGHT IN THERE. I would never fish it alone and without supplies in case I had to spend the night. I always carry a flashlight in my vest there. I, personally, have hiked out after dark. the trail is pitch black covered by rhodies, dangerous, etc. The streambed is the slickest, I ever seen!!! (I've fished much of US in my 60 years!)

If you go1) Make sure you have enough daylight time to fish through 2) go with a buddy 3) carry food and flashlight, match, emergency blanket, etc. 4) Wading stick and FELTS are a must. 5) Plan on slipping and getting wet!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

PeteCz
02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Abrams was just an idea. im not set on it just trying to figure a game plan. What other suggestions do you have. For me hiking isn't a problem, although i don't want to spend more time hiking in than fishing. im 25 and i frame houses for a living, so lazy is something i am not.

Ok then! I have the place for you. This will be like crawling through rafters carrying OSB for roof decking in 30 mph winds...just kidding...(sort of :cool:). My first option would be the WPLP Gorge. The fishing is not too terribly hard, its mostly plunge pools. Depending on the weather and water flow a 14 or 16 Yellow Stimi with a 16 BHPT will catch you enough fish to make you happy. There's lots of bolder hopping and climbing, but its not impossible. Do a search on this forum for WPLP and/or Gorge and you'll get more info than you could ever hope for. BTW, the WPLP is the West Prong of the Little Pigeon. It runs along the road and depending on how fast the water is moving you may or may not hear the motorcycles driving by. But there are hardly ever any other folks fishing it. It has only a few spot to access it and you have to fish through to one of the take out spots or up to the bridges at the Chimney Tops Trailhead.

Second option would be the upper part of Deep Creek (my favorite). You could hike down from Newfound Gap Rd. I'd go all the way down to campsite 53 (about 3.9 miles down [90 minutes] - Its a tough hike back out, but the fishing can be great). Its very unlikely you will see another person, let alone someone else fishing. Even if someone else is fishing, the stream is long enough you can find a section to your liking have it all to yourself. Up above 53 you can even catch Browns, Rainbows and Brookies all in very close proximity.

Third option is an easier hike. Take the LR Trail above Elkmont up to the Goshen Prong Trail (3.7miles I believe). Fish either Fish Camp or LR. The bonus is that you can stop along the way on the hike back out and fish the Little River in anyplace that looks good. The hardest part of this hike is keeping your eyes on the trail and not jumping in the stream and fishing on your way up. It takes a lot of focus to ignore the water on the way up. You could always hike up the LR a few miles and start fishing. The farther you go, the fewer people you will see.

There you go, my three favorites in the park...now if you really want to go somewhere remote, outside of the park, I have another suggestion.......
:rolleyes:

tennswede
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
bredmon930,

email me at ahlstedt@knology.net.

Abrams is one of my favorite places in the park. It has very good hatches and the fish is on average two inches bigger than most other streams in the area. With this said, it is a tough spot to fish but I know of good fishing without involving the big shoe.

If you get to the gate at first daylight you can get to the trailhead in 20 minutes. The going out is a little more tricky. Don't do the shoe by yourself. It is extremely dangerous.

MtnMike
02-10-2009, 09:40 AM
The answers to this post remind me why I joined this board. Good stuff.
While I agree with everything that has been said. I would not let the traffic in the cove keep me from Abrams. I have fished a lot of streams in the park and I still fish the big shoe every spring. I love it. However, I would probably only try it on a weekday and I would arrive early. I have also found the water from the top of the horseshoe back up to the parking lot to be some of the most productive water in the stream.
I fish quiet a bit by myself, but I would never try to fish the horseshoe alone. There are just too many places to get hurt. It is not the climbing over massive boulders like some of the streams in the park. It is just slick.
And it does take a while to work your way all the way around.

Mike

FlyFisherman
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I know alot of people fish Abrams on this board but heres my take. The isolated asections of Abrams Creek is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Avoid the Cove the traffic is horrendous (esp on weekends). Access the creek from below at Abrams Creek campground. Hike to Little Bottoms and camp. Fish from there all the way to Falls. DO NOT GO ALONE and tell someone where you are going, if you get hurt a section away from the trail it would be a catastrophe. This section is just as physically demanding as the Horseshoe its just not as popular because it is so hard to get to. Bring a wading staff. I don't think I am giving away any secrets here because this area is 1) so hard to get to and 2) wading this section can be so physically demanding your body will ache for days after you get home. Remember: fish nymphs deep on this creek. Good Luck.

bredmon930
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanx for all the info guys. Man am i glad i found this site. I probably would have just said screw it and hit the horse shoe alone and spent the night sleepin against a tree. But i would never go into the backwoods with out emergency supplies, one thing ive learned from const. is its better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it. But i think i may end up turning this 2 day fishing into a 3 day fishing trip :biggrin:. My sister is a travelling Occupational Therapist and is currently in i think Morristown, just north of sevierville, so i have free room and board. So im not narrowed by having to nail down a certain date, i can watch weather and flows etc. and take off when the time is right. What hatches, flies should i potentialy need for then, i know weather and stuff can determine that but what is usually hatching.

And Pete, hit me with it guy. Im a man thats open to suggestion and has no limitations on info. Ill take whatever you wanna give me :rolleyes:. Im not limited to the park. do you mind if i email you??

Again thanx for all the info guys, i really appreciate it. And if you all have anymore suggestions, im all ears.

brad