PDA

View Full Version : Metcalf Action

Waterborn
02-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Since its been a while since wetting a line and the weather was just too good to pass up - figured I shirk all responsibilities and make a quick trip to the Metcalf. I had earlier hoped for a longer window for the Clinch or Holston, but TVA wasn't doing - but the mountains felt like tailwater fishing today , the water was freezing around legs, but comfortable from the waist up in short sleeves and the midge was the fly of choice. That 1% thing again...normally a small BHPT would be my goto, but the fish weren't having it....about noon, though no visible hatch or any real bug activity, the water did warm up some (which I had a therm for the temp) and the fish turned on... there was a flurry of activity for about an hour. Half a dozen fish or, most average, but a better than average bow and a nice brown to keep it interesting. Can't wait for spring...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/SMmigders.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/SMmigders-3.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/SMmigders-2.jpg

nvr2L8
02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Beautiful fish, Waterborn. Now aren't you glad you ended up in the Smokies?

bugg
02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
nice fish :cool:

David Knapp
02-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Awesome! One of the most exciting reports I've seen in awhile...good to see the mountain streams fishing well!

BlueRaiderFan
02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
You've definitely got more skill than I do.:eek: Those are nice fish for the Smokies...at least for me!:biggrin:

MtnMike
02-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Very Nice. That larger 'bow is one of the prettiest fish I have seen in a while. I may just have to head for the mountains on Friday. Thanks for the report.

Mike

flyred06
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Great looking catches. This is making me want to come to the mountains. Don't you just love spring time. Thanks for sharing.

Troutman
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Pretty fish there J.

jross
02-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I knew metcalf had fish like the top pic. But "wow" for the other fish. I'm just wondering how you did that and where you did that. I know it sounds "snoopy" but my intentions are not snoopy, I'm just impressed.

Varmitcounty
02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
He won't brag on himself...so let me do it for him.

We were up at Tremont this past summer. He says "I bet there is a fish on the other side of that rock". He flips his fly over to the other side. Bear in mind that we were pretty much sitting on this rock. BAM! Up comes a beautiful rainbow. I have spent a lot of time fishing with this guy and I have learned that if anyone can find it, waterborn will. I have enjoyed my time fishing with him, but it would take me four lifetimes to match the natural skill this man has when he is on the water. Trust me, if he gives you any advise, take it, but your results may not be the same.

~marc~

calebB
02-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Beautiful fish waterborn!

Waterborn
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Appreciate guys...and Varmit, well brother, that'll keep the RockStar flowin' :biggrin: btw lookin' forward to the Frostbite - give me a shout...

Pretty much things just came together - the water levels were good and the temps warmed up just enough...no secrets as far as location, right there at the picnic area...though did concentrate on areas that would take advantage of the warm up and still offer some cover and current. Though the choice of midge over pheasant tail surprised me, I guess it shouldn't - its a winter bug for the park. I'm just used to it being a year around thing for tailwaters and don't use 'em much in the mountains - guess its worth tying one on this time of year...

onthefly
02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Great pics Waterborn. Thanks for sharing.