PDA

View Full Version : Foam poppers

flyred06
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
As you might have already guessed, this is my first time tying poppers. My question is: I am using the WASPI foam cylinders and pencil bodies to tie up these flies, so do they have to have any kind of sealant on them to keep the water from absorbing into the bodies? Or are these fine just as they are? I am using the pre ordered colors I want so I am not painting any of them and am using glued on eyes. I have tied up two types, flat face popper and sliders.

Thanks

jeffnles1
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I use those same things and have never had to seal them with anything. They float just fine.

Jeff

flyred06
02-10-2009, 02:49 PM
great. I was hoping to hear that. Do they hold up good to the fishing or do they tear up easily?

Troutman
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
great. I was hoping to hear that. Do they hold up good to the fishing or do they tear up easily?

The foam is tough and does not absorb water.
Now if a gar grabs it, it may get a few tooth marks:eek:, I usually end up retying the hackle at least once a season or tossing it if the hook won't keep a sharp point. bouncing them off a few rock outcrop ledges can be hard on a hook!

jeffnles1
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM

My experience has been consistent with Troutman. The hooks go dull and the hackle gets hosed long before the foam wears out. This stuff seems pretty tough. I have retied the hackle and re-glued on eyes on some of my poppers a couple times and the foam bodies are still in tact.

Jeff