PDA

View Full Version : Caney 2/10

BlueRaiderFan
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Good hits on anything bright. Good hits on white scuds etc, midges were no good.http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/Jan-Feb2009/100_3355.jpghttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/Jan-Feb2009/100_3352.jpg

David Knapp
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Interesting...see any shad floating downstream near the dam?

BlueRaiderFan
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Was down by the steps...Good hatches, but couldn't make them out (probably because I don't have those skills yet:cool:) I saw one very large may fly and the rest could have been anything. I know that they hit my ORANGE EHC like crazy and my friends Mark's Royal Wulff really well, but I tried a black midge dropper with a red off of that and NOTHING AT ALL. Changed to the white scud and bam! They seemed to be all over dries as well. We only fished brightly colored dries, but I think anything would have worked.

Worrgamesguy
02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
So did this trip get you your first fish on a dry? I'm glad my first fish was on a dry, that takes care of that :p

You're seriously making me jealous, but this post leads me to believe that if I went out with my usual armament I would have gotten skunked. I think I've got orange and white scuds, but nothing else of color. Looks like I need to get some more flies :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh and, margin rape FTL (for the lose).

flyred06
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Nice catch. Did you drift any bright buggers through or do you think that would have been a bad choice. I love to drift buggers down searching for bigger fish, but you seem to have the combination that works.

BlueRaiderFan
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
So did this trip get you your first fish on a dry? I'm glad my first fish was on a dry, that takes care of that :p

You're seriously making me jealous, but this post leads me to believe that if I went out with my usual armament I would have gotten skunked. I think I've got orange and white scuds, but nothing else of color. Looks like I need to get some more flies :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh and, margin rape FTL (for the lose).

Technically, it wasn't my first fish on a dry, but it was my first trout on a dry. I don't have a boat, so it makes it noticably harder IMO. Yep, I always keep a few brightly colored dries and a few brightly colored wet flies in my box.

BlueRaiderFan
02-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Nice catch. Did you drift any bright buggers through or do you think that would have been a bad choice. I love to drift buggers down searching for bigger fish, but you seem to have the combination that works.

Wanted to, but didn't have the time. Maybe next time. At least I caught a trout on a dry. Those smoky mountain steele heads don't count! :biggrin:

Worrgamesguy
02-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I bought some flies this morning so I can be prepared for whatever the Caney has to offer.

BlueRaiderFan
02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I bought some flies this morning so I can be prepared for whatever the Caney has to offer.

"Go now grasshoper. You cannot stay here":biggrin:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/images.jpg

(just kiddin' with you, Trey)

Worrgamesguy
02-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Haha I got 2 orange EHCs, a few different sizes of hares ear, flashback haresear, and a few scuds. Cost me $25 :eek:

BlueRaiderFan
02-15-2009, 04:35 PM
But, Trey...If you learned to tie, for a small investment of around $1000, you would have all the fly materials you need to tie your own!:frown:

Worrgamesguy
02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Pft I can't even afford a vice, let alone the materials. And I think once I began to tie I would be pulling my hair out from frustration, but hey, that works because it would be more material :p

You gonna be able to make it out tomorrow?

BlueRaiderFan
02-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Thinking about it. Can't decide. It's gonna be kind of cool. Wondering if the fish will bite. What section you guys fishin'?

Worrgamesguy
02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
I told David I was gonna try to get on the water under the dam at around 10:00 and fish downstream for a few hours and then move over to HH.

BlueRaiderFan
02-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I'll wear my "granpa fishin' hat"...It's brown and looks like the hat that Tim Taylor wore on "Home Improvement.":biggrin: Looks like this only darker:http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/SuperStock_1525R-82014.jpg

I will be at the steps and move on to HH as well, if I go. should get there around 11:00am, give or take.;)

Worrgamesguy
02-15-2009, 08:27 PM
By the steps, you mean the wooden steps that were built recently? I always get the "steps" confused- below the dam and at Lancaster.

I'll be fishing from the steps below the dam down to the shoals, and then move to Happy Hollow. I don't know what clothing I'll be wearing, but I'll be wearing a tan LRO hat and olive Simms waders.

BlueRaiderFan
02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Yep, same location for me...Just look for an out of shape 40 year old with a goofy hat.