PDA

View Full Version : Hazel and Eagle

kytroutbummin
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Going to be in the smokies for a few weeks starting the 26th. I plan on doing Hazel and Eagle for at least a few days, maybe more depending on how things go. In Ians book it shows a trail connecting the two streams. Anyone have any experience on the trail? Also, what are some of the favorite campsites? If anyone wants to fish from the 26th of feb. to the 11th of march, I am going to be by myself in the area. I plan on fishing West Fork of Pigeon, Shelton-Laurel Creek, the Tuck, Abrams, Hazel, Eagle, Deep Creek, and maybe the trophy Luftee section. I'll probably stay at the Koa right by the shop or elkmont when I'm not in the backcountry and I am a butcher so there is always something good on the campfire for dinner.
Christopher Fisher
p.s. my dad e-mailed this to me, if you have never seen this guy you are in for a treat. Sorry if I am breaking any web address rules, but it's fishing related. www.theultimatefishingshow.com (http://www.theultimatefishingshow.com)

bmc
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
You can use the Lakeshore Trail (some refer to this section as the Pinnacle Creek Trail) to hike between Eagle and Hazel. It's a little over 6 miles from CS90 at the mouth of Eagle to CS84 on Hazel and involves numerous fords of Pinnacle Creek. IMHO, anyone hiking in the Smokies should have Hiking Trails of the Smokies (http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,5.html), affectionately known as the "Little Brown Book". It will help with trip logistics as it has all of the trails, mileages, elevation profiles, campsites, etc. I'll be headed there just a few days after you; so please post a trip report. Good luck...

gjbu
02-12-2009, 06:52 PM
There are 15 crossings between Eagle And the old campsite 88. None over ankle deep if I remeber right. Been about 10 years since I camped there. Never did walk all the way over to Hazel. We mostly fished Eagle.

old tom
02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Can someone clarify something so we can give this KY guy some good info?

I did the Lakeshore Trail from the tunnel at Bryson City to Fontana Dam years ago. Back then you had to go up Hazel Creek to CS#84, over Jenkins Ridge, then back down to Eagle Creek. Yep, there were a number of creek crossings, but as I recall they were all within about a 1 or 2 mile stretch.

There is now a "new" section of the Lakeshore Trail that goes from CS#86 on Hazel straight to CS#90 on Eagle. I think they also closed part of the old trail across Jenkins Ridge. Other than shortening the trip by 6 or 7 miles, did it also cut out the multiple stream crossings?

Mark_Cathey
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I think an exploratory expedition is in order just to be sure, Old Tom. I'll need enough sherpas to portage gear and 10 cases of Shiner Bock.

If what you're saying is true, that is a HECK of a shortcut.

sammcdonald
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
only gonna comment on jenkins ridge trail..........makes snake den look like laurel falls....it's a terrible, rocky, rutted, gnarly trail that ya only do once

lee0070
02-12-2009, 11:38 PM
When you are in North Carolina just one more stream you may try for a trophy wild brown. Try the North Fork of the French Broad River off highway 215 north of Rosman.
Fish in the gorge section from 11-2. Throw some big stonefly imitations. Get deep in the pools. :biggrin:

PeteCz
02-13-2009, 12:57 AM
There is now a "new" section of the Lakeshore Trail that goes from CS#86 on Hazel straight to CS#90 on Eagle. I think they also closed part of the old trail across Jenkins Ridge. Other than shortening the trip by 6 or 7 miles, did it also cut out the multiple stream crossings?

According to "Hiking Trails of the Smokies", The trail is 4.9 miles with an elevation gain of about 700' in the middle. It was completed in 2001.

Quoting the book:
"Because the old Pinnacle Creek section of Lakeshore Trail made 15 difficult creek crossings and was badly eroded, the park service built this new section that cuts almost straight across from Campsite #86 to #90, making Lakeshore Trail more true to its name."

old tom
02-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks Pete. That's what I thought. Should make his trip much more pleasant and allows more time for fishing. That pull up and over Jenkins and slogging thru those stream crossings were part of the experience but weren't a lot of fun.

GrouseMan77
02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I was over in the Hazel Creek area last November. The Lakeshore Trail has defiantly been rerouted and at least one new trail has been established. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but it stretches from the cove before Hazel Creek to the Lakeshore Trail.

Maker's Mark & creek water is alot lighter that 10 cases of beer.

GrouseMan77

bmc
02-13-2009, 03:10 PM
According to "Hiking Trails of the Smokies", The trail is 4.9 miles with an elevation gain of about 700' in the middle. It was completed in 2001.

Quoting the book:
"Because the old Pinnacle Creek section of Lakeshore Trail made 15 difficult creek crossings and was badly eroded, the park service built this new section that cuts almost straight across from Campsite #86 to #90, making Lakeshore Trail more true to its name."

That's something I didn't know. (That explains why the trail alongside Pinnacle Creek was so overgrown when I was on it...) Looks like I need to get an updated copy of the Little Brown Book. None of the recent Smokies maps I bought have this change reflected. I'm assuming the new trail follows Ramp Cove (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=p&msa=0&ll=35.479194,-83.746719&spn=0.033689,0.077248&z=14)-- is this correct?

I agree with GrouseMan77 about the Makers, unless the sherpas are provided...

old tom
02-13-2009, 05:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, such adult beverages as are being discussed in this thread are not permitted in the Park. And I'm sure none of you would ever consider breaking such laws.;)

ACinEastTN
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I hiked this trail in late Sept. I adopted campsite 90 and hike from there to Hazel Creek It is not a bad hike or overgrown. I talked to some guys fishing on Hazel Creek and they had hiked in on the "old trail" that has been closed. They said it was in very bad condition and it took them a very long time. They also mentioned that they were using an old map that did not have the new Lakeshore Trail marked on it. I get weekly emails from the parks volunteer coordinator about campsite closing, trail closing, etc. It surprised me to see how much the park changes from one season to the next. Always a good idea to get a NEW trail map each year!

VersaillesKy
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I want to be clear about whether this new trail / old trail discussion relates to where I am going to be in about a month. I will be coming south along Hazel and will turn east on Lakeshore (as if you are going from 85 to 81). It sounds as if this new trail goes from 86 to the west (and thus would not impact me), but I just wanted to make sure. Can anyone give any detail? Thanks.

sammcdonald
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
there is a new trail map scheduled for mid-summer and will reflect the closings of some back country sites and opening of some new ones

old tom
02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
VersaillesKy - You're okay. This discussion relates to the trails connecting Hazel to Eagle which is to the West.

Mark_Cathey
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
VersaillesKy,

I think you are right. If you are moving south along Hazel Creek, you'll just bear left at Proctor and loop back around along the Lakeshore Trail. The trail discussed up the thread connects Hazel to the Eagle Creek watershed to the west.

Old Tom, aside from an occasional flask of something in my pack to take the chill off, I definitely don't partake inside the park. I was just messing around. We don't need a bunch of drunks in Hazel for sure. :)

sammcdonald
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
from the compendium:
Section 2.35
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND
CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
(a)(3)(i) The possession or consumption of an alcoholic
beverage and/or the possession of a bottle, can or other
receptacle containing an alcoholic beverage that is open, or
that has been opened, or whose seal is broken or the
contents of which has been partially removed is prohibited.
This alcohol prohibition includes all park areas within the
park boundary except: government owned housing,
overnight lodging facilities, designated picnic areas, and
frontcountry and backcountry campgrounds and shelters as
identified in the current Great Smoky Mountains Trail Map,
the official Great Smoky Mountains folder, and the current
park newspaper. The Superintendent may authorize the
possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages as part
of a special event.