PDA

View Full Version : Small Streamers?

wynnsman
02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey guys I was given a few small streamers (sz16-18's) and was wondering if they are any good for trout and if so what conditions could I use them in. Thanks.

Grannyknot
02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I had a fly shop owner suggest to me on saturday morning that the only thing hot on the clinch would be small streamers with sinking line.

I didn't take him up on it because I don't have an extra spool to put sinking line on. Maybe he was right? I didn't take his advice and barely managed 4 fish the whole weekend.

MadisonBoats
02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
You can add a small drop sinker up from the streamer to get it down to the fish. They probably recommended this since the river has been up and is mostly flowing pretty quick recently.

Just bounce the streamer with some slight pulls of the line when taking it in...

roberts618
03-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I have found that size 10-14 small streamers to be very effective on tailwater trout this winter. I have my own design with a gold glass bead head, punch yarn or floss body in green or black and Sulky Holoshimmer (a mix of three different varieties) for the tail. The fish could not enough on Friday. I caught 20 RBs in only two hours of fishing.

txbrown
03-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a size 16 olive sparkle wooly bugger that has become a trip saver a couple of time - both weigted and non-weighted.

TNFishnstix
03-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Tx Brown, works well tied in even smaller sizes too, just watch the materials you use and you can still get it down pretty well, Smaller buggers drift nicely under a strike indicator! and thats about the only time I use one with that particular pattern.