PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2009 - Nymph Swap

PeteCz
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Gerry and I traded posts last night and decided to start a new fly swap for Spring 2009. His thought is that we should do a nymph swap and I agree. I'll take the responsibility of being the swapmeister. We can have up to 10 participants with 2 flies per person, so that's 20 flies each. The due date for having your flies sent to me will be March 15th. I know its a quick turnaround, but we want to get those nymphs in the water!

So rather than wait, lets just right into the few ground rules:

1. In addition to posting that you want in (and what you'll be tying), Send me an email at [petecz at charter.net] and I will send you my mailing address information. We'll take up to the first 10 entrants by 2/28.

2. Start tying! The due date for your flies is March 15th. Assume you will have to tie 20 flies, and if we have fewer than 10 tiers, I will distribute the extras evenly across all of us that do participate. Please don't procrastinate, everyone is counting on you to make this a successful swap.

3. Each fly will need to have a toetag, this is just a small piece of paper with your LRO username on it, what you tied and what size. Include the recipe if you want, or post it on the thread (or keep it a closely guarded family secret).

4. When you are finished with your flies and have mailed them, post on here, so that I can keep an eye out for them. I don't think my mailman flyfishes...but you never know...

5. Send your flies in a crushproof container with a return self-addressed envelope with return postage. The little plastic boxes you get when you buy flies from LRO work well. What ever box you send your flies in will be returned to you.

6. If you feel the urge to tie a few "bonus flies", keep in mind that all additional bonus flies are a gift to the recipient, and in no way constitutes a return fly unless that person wants too include bonus flies, as well. If I receive extra flies I will distribute them accordingly. If you want to specify who to give the bonus flies to, please indicate that in your shipment and I will add those flies to that person's return package.

7. Communication is very important! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

8. If you have never done this before, don't be intimidated. This is a great way to get new flies that you would never think to purchase on your own. Three of my now favorite flies are ones I have never even thought of before I received them in a fly swap last year (Doc's Cork, Crackleback and Mr Rapidan Cripple). Plus I got some more of my normal favorites...

Here's the lineup. I will keep editing this first post for the roster:
Gerry Romer -- Midge Emerger (secret development fly!) -- Completed/Received
PeteCz -- MRE -- Completed/Received
Flyfishjeep -- Japanese Beetle -- Completed/Received
Varmitcounty -- AWOL???
MickinMS -- Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle + Red A$$ -- Completed/Received
TFnut -- Hares Ear Flymph -- Completed/Received
Trouttater -- Skip Nymph -- Completed/Received
UofMontanaAlum -- Polish Woven Nymph -- Completed/Received
Rainshaker -- Brassie -- Completed/Received
Afoshie -- Soft hackles and rainbow midges -- Completed/Received

Flyfishjeep
02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
count me in Pete! I will see what materials I have at home and let you know which fly I will tie.
Thanks for being the meister!

Varmitcounty
02-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Count me in!

~marc~

MickinMS
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Count me in. Thanks!

Gerry Romer
02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Good Job, Pete!!

Put me down for a midge emerger size 18 and 20. This is a new one I've been developing. Haven't tested it yet but it looks like it could be really good. I'm hoping to test it out this weekend. It'll be more of a tailwater fly than a mountain fly, but you never know...

TFnut
02-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Count me in, No. 16 Hares Ear Flymph.

Thanks!!!

Flyfishjeep
02-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I'll do a japanese beetle

Trouttater
02-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Count me in. I need to check my boxes and see what I need to tie up. I will let you know nymph and size.

Brad

MickinMS
02-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I am going to tie a pheasant tail soft hackle. Not sure the size.

Trouttater
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Count me in for a Skip Nymph. I may get a little crazy and add rubber legs.

Brad

MickinMS
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I decided to do 2 different flies...is that OK. 1st Fly- soft hackle pheasant tail. 2nd fly - red a**. 10 of each. Will that work or do I need to stick with one?

PeteCz
02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I decided to do 2 different flies...is that OK. 1st Fly- soft hackle pheasant tail. 2nd fly - red a**. 10 of each. Will that work or do I need to stick with one?

Its OK with me...looking forward to them...

UofMontanaAlum
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I would like in if its not full. Put me down for a wire polish woven nymph #14 and a floss polish woven nymph #14.

Update: 3-7
I've got 20 polish woven nymphs ready to ship. I will get them out on Monday morning.

PeteCz
02-21-2009, 12:44 PM
I would like in if its not full

UoMA - Thanks for joining.

Two slots left, if anyone is interested......

MickinMS
02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Pete- My flies are complete, tagged and ready to ship. Please email me your address and I will get them out. I sent you an email when I signed up for the swap. let me know if you did not get it.

rainshaker
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Count me in Pete, if you still have space....I'll either tie a Brassie or Serendipity

afoshie
02-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I would like in if the spot is still open

10 Soft hackles #18

10 rainbow midges #20

PeteCz
02-24-2009, 09:50 AM
All right guys we made it to 10 tiers. Now let's get tying. For those of you that sent me your email address, I just sent out an email with my mailing address. If you don't get it, let me know and I will resend it. It went out under my wife's email address, so look for an email from "Cindy Czornohus"...

PeteCz
02-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Mick wins the first in prize....I need to figure out what that prize is...

Hope everyone is making good progress. Let us know how its going...

UofMA -- Those are some pretty impressive looking bugs...nice work!

rainshaker
02-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Finished the Brassie midges this morning. I posted a picture on my Blog. Check it out

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_33zgteFGQI0/SanbypNlhrI/AAAAAAAAAJg/81ESG_2n4xI/s1600-h/brassie+002.jpg

Flyfishjeep
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Finished my flies last night. I will get them in the mail tomorrow!

afoshie
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
sent them out today should be there in a couple

Flyfishjeep
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
My flies finally made it in the mail today. I forgot to put return postage at first, but I managed to slip some stamps in to cover the return postage after resealing the envelope.

Gerry Romer
03-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey, Pete!

I've got mine ready for ya. Want to set up a hand-off? Call me at the shop.

Gerry

UofMontanaAlum
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Shipped mine Monday via USPS. You should see them Saturday or Monday.

PeteCz
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
You guys still in? Please let me know your status: petecz@charter.net

I've now received everyones flies that said they were en route.

TFnut
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Finished my flies tonight. Will ship them out tomorrow or Saturday for Monday delivery.

Trouttater
03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Pete,

Sent you an email just a second ago. I am still in. I am finishing up last half dozen tonight and will ship on Monday.

Brad

afoshie
03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
any word on the flies and when they will be shipped back

PeteCz
03-22-2009, 10:17 PM
flies....what flies....??

Hey Guys...TFnut has completed his flies and I believe I should have them in the next day or two. I believe Varmitcounty has gone AWOL on us, so I've tied up a mixed batch of flies for the 10th set to keep the math easy...

Hope to have them back into the mail on Wednesday.

PeteCz
03-24-2009, 09:20 PM
I recvd the last set of flies today and have already sorted and dropped everyone's packages back into the mail (including those of you that either forgot postage or an envelope to mail them back in or toe tags....) ;)

I tied up some yellow banded MREs and CHC Caddis Emergers to replace the last set of flies that were not going to be recvd. They are not the best quality, but I was rushed, so I hope they will be Ok.

Thanks everyone for participating!

Gerry, I'll drop yours off at the shop tomorrow, at some point...

Flyfishjeep
03-25-2009, 08:19 AM
I forgot the toe tags... Japanese Beetle size 16

PeteCz
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I wasn't going to name, names...But its a little late now, anyway....I've already mailed them....:biggrin:

No worries, I put some toe tags on them for you...

BTW, they look awesome! Nice work....

Trouttater
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the work Pete. I'm looking forward to seeing them come thru.

I think I remembered to put an envelope and postage with mine. If I forgot let me know and I will get you what I owe.

Thanks again.

Brad

Gerry Romer
03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Pete just hand-delivered - how's that for service!? - my swap flies, and I have to say you guys did an awesome job! I can definitely see these little guys catching fish. And I really like the fact that they're (for the most part) all wet.

A few words about my toe-tag. The tag reads, "Fish like a dry fly on an extra long, extra fine tippet." What I couldn't fit on the toe-tag is: The first thing you'll notice when you go to tie one of these on is that the hook-eye isn't exactly where you think it should be. These are tied on lightweight Waterwisp hooks with vertical eyes to help keep them suspended in the surface film. They are designed to imitate emerging midges and the oiler puffs at either end will help it stay anchored in the surface film. It helps to dust them heavily with Frog's Fanny. I've been fishing them on a 4 foot piece of 7x tippet tied on the end of a greased 9 foot furled leader with a yarn indicator about halfway up the leader.

They're intended for relatively calm midge water. You know the kind of water where you're standing there in a light early morning fog and suddenly it's popping all around you but you can't see any bugs coming off at all...

That's the idea anyway. I have had a couple hits on it dropped about 16" off a #16 BHPT fished about midway in the water column so who knows? Experiment!! Have fun!!

Once again, Awesome job! :cool:

Gerry Romer

afoshie
03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Those flies look good have trip planned for weekend and plan on using some. Would like to know a couple of things from some of you. Most of the recipies are self explanatory but some I cant figure out. I would like to know the wing case on the beetles is made of. And the recipies for both of the woven nymphs. They all look good and are appriciated. Thanks to all.

Flyfishjeep
03-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Pete-Received the flies yesterday and they look great. Thanks again for being the meister!

Afoshie- I tied the beetle with about 5-6 wraps of lead wire. Then cut down some swiss straw and tie in near the bend. Then tie on about 8 pieces of peacock hearl and wrap forward a couple turns and tie off. Pull the swiss straw over the wrapped hearl. Then tie off and cut excess swiss straw. Tie in the other color of swiss straw. Wrap the remaining hearl over the swiss straw and then forward so when you pull the second color forward it gives a definite segmentation. Tie off the hearl and pull forward the swiss straw. Trim excess straw and divide the hearl equally to create the legs. I cut the legs at an angle. Whip finish and head cement.
Hopefully this is clear enough to help you on my technique. If it would help, I could try and do a step-by-step photo this weekend. Just let me know.

afoshie
03-28-2009, 01:34 PM
that will work the wing casing was what I was confused about. they looked good

UofMontanaAlum
04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Got the bugs. They all look great!