PDA

View Full Version : Smokies Report

David Knapp
02-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Finally made it up to the Smokies for the first time in awhile today. After making the required stop at LRO and chatting with everyone, I headed up LR. My first couple of stops produced a few missed fish but that was it. Sometimes I feel like I don't approach Little River correctly and today was one of those days. I decided to move over to Tremont and this was just what I needed to get me going. Finished the day with 15 fish, 8 on dries and 7 on nymphs. Not bad for February and Friday the 13th at that... Fish liked a #16 parachute Adams, #14 Tellico nymph variant, and #18 Brassie. Over the course of the day I saw a fair number of bugs on/around the water including little black stoneflies, early brown stoneflies, little black caddis, BWOs and midges. Even saw several fish rising to naturals. I can't wait for the big spring hatches to begin in earnest!

One of the best things about today was the size of the fish...caught some absolute monsters, kinda like this guy...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4134.jpg

A more normal sized fish...
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4129.jpg

A favorite stretch of water...
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4137.jpg

ijsouth
02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Wow..look at all that water - as I said on a previous thread, I don't know how to handle a full streambed - I'm so used to low water.

David Knapp
02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow..look at all that water - as I said on a previous thread, I don't know how to handle a full streambed - I'm so used to low water.

I struggled on LR a bit because of the normal water levels. Its easy when the streams are low because holding water is so obvious. When they can spread out you have to figure out where they're at. That's what I like about the smaller sized streams because there's still only so many potential options...

MtnMike
02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey Plateau,

I've been anticipating the report, anxious to see how you did. I think you have got to be happy to be catching fish on dry flies in a mountain stream in mid February. Glad to hear you had some success.

Mike

Gerry Romer
02-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Good on ya, David!!

Glad you got to the mountains before I had a chance to get up there and snag 'em all :biggrin:

What's that old saying?? Something about it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog... I'm sure that monster got your little heart a pumpin' -- especially for Friday the 13th!

Gerry

TFnut
02-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I am in awe..... I fished the same streams from about 12:30 until 5:00 and got completely skunked. I never even considered a dry fly. I was using hares ears, BHPT and attempting to fish them deep.

Oh well, I enjoy challenges, which means I enjoy this sport. Thanks for the great post and letting me know that it can be done....

nvr2L8
02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
David,

Don't let the month of February slip by without posting one of your fish. I'm still looking for mine. :redface: