View Full Version : Fishing Trips Gone Bad?

02-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, some my brother and a friend ventured out on the Clinch Sunday (Feb. 11) to try my new v-bottom boat and to hit the shoals bellow Peach Orchard. I had ran the motor on a couple of trips before this day and it has been doing very well. They dropped me off on a nice set of shoals and drifted about 500 yrds on down. Well, some how the motor ended up in a bind and we tried everything to get it to turn over. It is very difficult to turn the pull cord on the old 2 stroke. I checked the gearing and pull string. Any ideas?

So, we pulled the boat up the river about 1/2 mile by wading. Wind was too strong for the oars. Finally, we saw we were not going to make the ramp for the next release and dark and called a friend to save us.

Got home about 8 last night and froze to the bone...

However, it was still a blast to get out there...

Anybody else have any fun stories to share so I don't feel so bad:) ?

02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
A couple of years ago, I was headed up to elkmont for my first trip to the smokies. I arrived got everything ready, hiked up a mile or so, took one step into the river slipped fell snapped my rod into two pieces. Needless to say I was not a very happy camper but i just laugh about it now.

02-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I fell off of a ten foot cliff on the Caney a few months back...straight down on top of some really big rocks and dead trees. It hurt a lot.

02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Breaking a rod is a bad day...

Now falling would not be too much fun either...

Notice my brother in the pic(left); he is wet - he tripped over a log and fell face first in to the nice and warm Clinch... Now that was funny...:biggrin:

02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
When I was a teenager growing up in NC I once hiked for several hours to get to some back country brookie water. I was within sight of the creek when I feel and broke my rod right near the reel. I spent the rest of that day and the next fishing with essentially a cane pole. Didn't really need to cast anyway in that small of a creek so it worked out.

02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Below is the link to some of the worst fishing luck one could have but it is still funny in the end. Enjoy everyone and the next time you have a bad day on the water remember these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cc6koI0fDo :smile:

Carolina Boy
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Drove all the way up above treamont from well several hours away got to the river and realized that the tip section of my rod was back at home? Pretty lousy feeling.

02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Carolina Boy that's not a bad trip that is a good excuse to go on over to LRO and buy a new rod. No way the misses can get mad about that. Tell it is like going shopping to relize she had put on two different shoes.....you know that would constitute a day of shopping for shoes.:smile: Joking of course but that would really stink to have that happen. Get a four piece and leave it in the trunk as a spare so you never have that happen again.....oh wait thats another reason to buy a new rod. Oh well.:biggrin:

trout wrangler
03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
In april of 06 i moved west to work at hyde outfitters in last chance idaho. The first day i fished i hiked about two and a half hours into the river side section of the henerys fork thru waist deep snow.I climbed down 30ft plus cliffs to get to the run i had my eye on. on the second cast the indicator dropped an full of adreline i bill danced it an brok the rod in the handle. that was the worst hike out of my life.

03-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Sounds like the experience was still worth the hardship!

03-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Best way to not have your experience is always go upstream in a motorized boat.

I have so many there isn't space to list them all here. Other members of this forum have unfortunately been along with me on several.

03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Back in the 80tys went to russian river alaska fish for 3 hours fish jump out trow hook hook ended up in my left eye now no eyesite ohh well still fish 150 pluss days a year guesss thats just combat keep castin guys :smile:

03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Best way to not have your experience is always go upstream in a motorized boat.

So True! I have heard that a million times since then....

03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
When I started out fly fishing I managed to forget something or other when heading out to the Park...the worst was getting to Abrams after fighting tourist traffic (now I know better when to go) and forgetting my flybox - had taken it out to fill my night before ties, talk about that sinking feeling...but as it turned out I had my fishing hat that I kept a few flies in - a thunderhead and a pheasant tail...turns out it was all I needed. Also, its suprising what useful assortment of flies can be found in streamside vegetation from others errant casts ...

03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I once had the same thing happen to me. I had taken all boxes out of my vest to clean and organize, and add a few mew additions to the boxes.

I left out before daylight and drove an hour and a half into the CNF. Got to the stream and started rigging up when I realized I'd left every fly I owned at home.

I ended up spending an hour walking the banks, retrieving flies out of trees. I not only found enough flies to use for the entire day, but enough tippet as well. :)

03-13-2009, 11:05 AM
My dad and I were scheduled to go out in my new-to-me but still 20 years old v-hull row boat powered by a 6 horse martin outboard. The motor is from WWII era. My father had owned it since he came back from the war. The martin didn't run too well, when it go hot it slipped out of gear. Son (me)gets to row back. No fishing that weekend. Next weekend son has purchased the 20 year old evnirude that the owner of boat tried to sell me when he sold me the boat and trailer. Launch boat fire up motor head out into cove and down the fingers of the lakes. Make our way well up into the shallows and fish for bluegills. Having a great father son experience. Deer are coming down to the lake edge to drink. Norman Rockwell would have been proud.

It is time to leave so dad fires up motor and we start out of the shallows. Haven't gone far, still 10-15 miles back down the fingers and into the hand of the lake when the motor dies and smell of fuel is getting stronger. Dry rot had gotten the fuel line from the connection in the cowling to the engine. I had thought to replace the line from the tank to cowling but not the other. So every time dad squeezes the bulb, fuel is spritzing the lake. By this time the sun in high, the temps have passed 85 and the son is hot but rowing.

Since he has little to do dad decides to have an adult beverage produced using fine grains and hops, son is rowing and panting. A bass boat with about 150 hp motor pulls up and asks is everything ok? to which dad responds, "we're fine" before I can say anything due to my dry throat. These bass guys take off and leave us clocking at what seems to be 90 mph.

Once I get the ability to speak I say to dad "next time somebody offers help take it" Norman Rockwell would have been running away by this point. The next big bass boat rolls up and offers some help and I say yes. They tow us back to the dock (fastest that row boat ever went) and as they start to pull off we offer to pay them which they decline but they had been noticing the old man's beverage of choice on this hot day. We offer them that which they gladly accept and we call the deal fair.

30 years later, I now wade, but still have the 6hp Martin OB in the basement.

Rog 1
03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
A lot of times you can get lemonade from these lemony experiences. On my son's first backcountry fishing trip with me he lost all of his spinning tackle down the river within the first hour after we reached the campsite. Told him this was the perfect opportunity to get cranked into fly fishing....by the end of the next day he was catching trout on the fly and telling me where to fish. Several years later we were fishing the LR below Elkmont after setting up camp and within the first 10 minutes my son was on a rock in the middle of the river with my Orvis one weight in two broken pieces. Off to LRO to have it shipped to Orvis which sent me a brand new rod. Meanwhile my son went to my pack rod and proclaimed he like it better than the Orvis....he got a new experience and I got my rod back from him....both trips ended up full of memories and laughs.

03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Treecatcher2 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/member.php?u=3735) http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/styles/smartbrown/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Good story! I reckon that you would probably relish a day to go back and do that all over again!

Thanks for sharing!

03-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Last Wed I was up at 4:30am to work at a client's plant. The plan was that after a short session, I would go to the Holston below Cherokee. I was in the parking lot around 9am. Strung the rod and took my wallet out of my pocket to put it into my bag, so I would have my license with me...license!? Oh, Oh!!! Forgot to get it renewed.

03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Where to start. Some times I think I am related to the old time keystone cops of the silent era! My son and I decided to go after some big bull bluegill during the mayfly hatch. Put the boat in the water with my then 10 year old son in it while I went to park the trailer. Started out and could not get the boat on plane, about 100 yards of the bank I realized I FORGOT THE DRAIN PLUG! Two choices, tie to the dock and get the trailer while the boat steadily fills up with water, or BEACH IT! I chose the later. By this time the water is up to the tops of the batteries, Handed my son my billfold, car keys and cell phone, over the side I went and had to put the plug in by swimming under the boat(engine not running of course) I found out real quick that clothes do not dry very fast in the high heat and humidity of summer, especially when you have to wear them all day!:eek: The day was not lost we caught some nice fish and still talk about that day still.

03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted on 12/7/07
Kind of a funny story

Well I should have taken a clue when my trip to the Caney got delayed this morning. My 16-year-old son missed the bus. So since dad was on his way to go fishing (thatís not very important) ďMOMĒ.
I finally make to Bettyís Island around 9:00 knowing that the release should be there by 10:00 to 10:30 so I decided to go down stream towards Congo Bottoms, stopped a few times to fish, but didnít have much luck tried a Zebra, Wooly Bugger & hairs ear but still nothing.
Well hereís where things get good, went to the interstate bridge on the downstream side, tied off my Gheenoe were the river splits around the island. Then I tied on a Zebra midge with a tiny pink tail just as the release caught up to me. Well donít you know I start to hammer the browns 10 cast 8 fish, things are great right!

ďNO there NOTĒ

I was fishing with my boat about 30í behind me, when something told me to turn around! Well I did. Guess what? Ya your right no boat! I kinda got that oh $%#@ feeling, didnít know how long it was gone, so I started heading down the bank but no boat to be seen. (This about the time you are all laughing youíre butts off) I never realized that the river runs faster than I do, till today!
So here I am in a panic running down the island hoping to catch my boat before it hits the Cumberland (visions of sitting at River Front Park tomorrow waiting for it to float by). Well 6 tenth of a mile latter sitting on the opposite bank from where I am ďof courseĒ is my boat at the mouth of Smith Fork Creek. Did any of you know that is a rather deep channel, well neither did I till this afternoon, it is a little on the cold side also! Well the only thing to do now is strip down to the skivvies and swim across; did I mention it was COLD?
Well allís well that ends well.

P.S. lost that **** fly running through to woods.

03-14-2009, 11:35 PM
December 30, 2007

It all started a week before Christmas of 07, One of my employees asked my about fly fishing, well guess what he got for Christmas, yes a fly rod & reel. Well after badgering me all week to take him to the Caney, I caved in and took him the following Saturday.
By 8:00 am we were on the water. Had a good day and ended up down in Congo bottoms, (were I previously took a swim). To get back on track we get out of the boat and start to fish, well after a while itís starting to get dark so we get back in the boat and head back to Bettyís Island. Thatís when things take a bad turn! I started the motor but hadnít put it in gear yet, as we are drifting down the river I was putting some of my gear away, when I got that uneasy feeling you get right before you turn over. If youíve ever been in a Gheenoe you know itís pretty darn hard to flip one.
Well as I looked up to see what the heck was going on I noticed Craig leaning over the side looking at the bottom of the river. I donít know if he was in a trance or what. I decided to bail out hoping the boat would right itís self, but noooooooooooo, Craig had to panic and rolled the boat over! Hereís where things get bad! Craig lost his glasses and starts to totally freak out, I mean lose it, have you ever seen a grown man cry! I was yelling for him to help me flip the boat back over before the motor sucked water. Guess what, your right to late.
Now we have a 6 mile ride up stream to Bettyís Island with nothing but a 30lb trolling motor that is bow mounted in front of Craigís seat. At this point he informed me that this was the worst thing that ever happened to him. I told him to put the trolling motor on 5 the highest setting so we could get back before it was totally dark, well heís so freak that he will only put it on 1, at this point Iím getting pissed big time! After a few choice words he finally put it on high and two hours after the sun went down and the trolling motor was dead we made it back to the truck.

Needless to say it was a very quiet ride back to Nashville and the last time we ever fished together!:mad: