PDA

View Full Version : Byron- I like the changes

flyred06
02-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Byron,

I like the changes that I am seeing in the web site. I know that this has taken alot of man hours and hard work. Just wanted to let you know the work is not in vain. Come on guys post your thoughts here on the changes that Byron has done and let them know what you think of their hard work.:smile:

flyguys
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Byron, We love the new website! Thanks for all your hard work on this site and all other things you are involved in! Just wanted to say that the journal is awesome, too! See you guys in the spring or summer! P.S. Save some fish for us!

jeffnles1
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Byron,
Job well done.

I really like the "places to stay" part of the planning your trip.

Very good website.

Jeff

Dancing Bear
02-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Everyone's hard work and talent shows. Congrats.
Mike W.

Byron Begley
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone,

Yesterday was tense. After we loaded up the new site it was running slow. I started worrying about having too many images. When I got home last night it was running fast. I called our service provider this morning and he got an alert yesterday that we were using up too much bandwidth. It turns out there was a lockup in our online catalog causing the problem. He and I are keeping an eye on it right now.

Thanks for the kind compliments. There is much more to come. Within a few months we will have a website within a website that explains in detail everything there is to see and do in our County. For instance, there will be some pages about family owned restaurants, canoeing, museums and things like that. That site will eventually be turned over to our neighbors who are in the tourism business so they can add it to their websites. I will get a lot of help from the community on that one.

I am glad you all enjoy visiting our website and thanks for your support.

Byron

irfishing
02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
The BEST just got BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
Thanks for all the hard work you folks do for fly fishing, the Park and your community. By example, you show how it should be done.
Kudos to the whole crew.

Brian Griffing
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Byron,
The new pages are great. I like the sleek look. Where's the link to the fishing games?
Seriously, great job.

Gerry Romer
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Byron,

When you say you're testing it on Safari, do you mean you're testing it on your own machine? If you test it on a Safari app running on a PC you'll see the type glitches in the upper left corner. It's definitely weird. It kinda looks like you used the upper left corner as a clip board to stash your unused type...

Byron Begley
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks to everyone. We do have a problem that was brought to my attention by three viewers including Gerry Romer. On my old version of Safari the site looks great. I loaded down the new one and got what Gerry describes. We are going to upgrade our menu software tomorrow and that will probably fix the problem. But, let me ask you Safari folks a question. When you click on the Message Board from our website do you get multiple windows? I do.

Thanks for your comments and help as always.

Byron

Gerry Romer
02-19-2009, 09:32 PM
But, let me ask you Safari folks a question. When you click on the Message Board from our website do you get multiple windows? I do.
Byron

Byron --

I don't. However, with IE I do get multiple windows. That's one of the reasons I prefer Safari. Now since you've asked... try this little experiment:

On a PC with Safari installed, open your website in an IE window, trim it down to half screen vertical, and then open the same page in the Safari app and trim it to half screen vertical and put it side-by-side with the IE window. You should immediately notice that the resolution and color saturation is much more vivid through Safari. The next thing you should notice is the rate at which pages load. Safari loads pages much faster than IE.

The first time I tried this, I realized that I was finally able to see the pages the way you were designing them in the colors you were intending for the world to see. :smile: Unfortunately, the reality is that the great majority of the visitors to your website see your work through the awful filter of IE. For example, in IE the text always looks washed out and at times is difficult to read (especially when some posters on the message board start playing with font size.. :mad:), but in Safari the text is well saturated.

In Safari, I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like on that big, honkin' Mac monitor you stare at all day long. Let's just say that IE pales by comparison. Since we live (for all practical purposes) in a PC world, you might want to think about deepening your color palette. I'm not suggesting black text; but a very dark grey would probably translate into IE the way you're seeing it on your Mac.

Of course the other option would be to just post a notice telling all visitors to the website that their visual experience will be enhanced by downloading and installing Safari. Then you could add a link to the Mac download website and try and charge Mac for some ad revenue...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gerry

Byron Begley
02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Everything is fixed for the new version of Safari I think. Gerry, I just tried the comparison you described. I could see a slight difference on this monitor. I have the old version of IE on my Mac and I don't think newer versions will run on Apples. I'll check. We actually all use Firefox here. It works better for us while working on the Online Catalog. All of that work is done online. We can't just work for a few hours then load up everything at once. We have to upload one step at a time. Building and changing the main website can be done over time then uploaded all at once. I worked on the new website for two months without uploading anything. Then, when it was finished it all went up at once. I do use Safari for printing the hard copy of the Fishing Report every morning. Safari prints better from our website.

Thanks to all of you for helping us through this.

Byron

Gerry Romer
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
But, let me ask you Safari folks a question. When you click on the Message Board from our website do you get multiple windows? I do.

Thanks for your comments and help as always.

Byron

Byron,

To be a bit more precise: when I click on the Message Board link in Safari or IE on your page, I get multiple windows, however, when I click on the Message Board link in my Safari or IE bookmark folders, I get single windows. So the links on your page ( to other areas of your site) keep people in your site, but links within your site to offsite locations are taking people away from your site. The saving grace is that the navigation away requires multiple windows, so people still hav eto come back to your site if just to close those windows.

I think that might be where you were going...

Gerry

Treecatcher2
02-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I thought the talk of safari meant Byron and Paula were headed to africa for a wider look at planning your trip

I really like the photos and the additional information added into the site!