PDA

View Full Version : Overnight fishing.

bcunnin1
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Planning on going on a overnight camping trip with 2 buddies sometime soon. What would be a good trail or campsite to go to this time of year with a chance to catch some fish?

Would like to hike in on a Sat. morning until the afternoon fish, then hike out Sunday morning. Any advice is appreciated, Ben.

sammcdonald
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
just get your backcountry permit (free)....

BlueRaiderFan
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Planning on going on a overnight camping trip with 2 buddies sometime soon. What would be a good trail or campsite to go to this time of year with a chance to catch some fish?

Would like to hike in on a Sat. morning until the afternoon fish, then hike out Sunday morning. Any advice is appreciated, Ben.

Hmmm...You could park at the trailhead above Elkmont and take the Little River Trail up to 24, or you could park at Abram's Creek and take Little Bottoms Trail down to 17 and fish the creek there...there are a lot of possibilities. Those both have bigger water for the park and are fairly flat hikes. Be certain to take extra food and cooking fuel. It's not unheard of to get snowed in up in the back country this time of year. Maybe take an emergency blanket or two.

Vern
02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
It considers the weather at the time you want to go. March can be real unpredictable as far as the temp and weather. Cold weather stay low, camp in the front country and fish the larger lower elevation rivers, warm weather hike in to a site like 24, but be prepared for cold weather and snow. I am personally going to go to Elkmont in mid march and stay in the front country for the first night and see what the weather does before heading back country. I was hiking and fishing in the back country last march with 2-4" of snow, came out to sugarlands to about 15 degree warmer and rain. A few miles in can make a big difference.

Kytroutbum
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Vern, tells it like it is!!! Besides,The water above Elkmont is probably too cold to get much fishing activity now. I've seen nymph pass a trout without there even attempting to take it up there in Late Feb. Water TEMP is the KEY. Also, if you get wet up there you 'could be in a bad situation' due to hypothermia. I love fishing above Elkmont but would fish Metcalf's Bottoms or down, if I wanted to try to catch a fish. Water up there will be colder longer! Besides, thar ain't no fish up there anyway(:>)!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Rog 1
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
You might also want to think about Bradley Fork on the NC side...campsite about a mile up the trail from Smokemont.

Mac
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Its been a year since last spring and I forgot what most people would consider the Golden Temp for the trout to start feeding. Any help

ajh10567
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I have always heard 5 consecutive days where the water temp is at least 50 degrees

Mocs123
03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know how much hiking you want to do, but #86 at Proctor would probably be a great place to fish from. It is a very easy (Lakeshore Trail is the easiest trail in the park) 9.6 miles from Fontana Dam. It is a nice, big, flat area at the junction with the Hazel Creek Trail.

There are sevral spots to camp on Forney Creek and Noland Creek One of the spots on Forney Creek was really nice, but I cant remember which one it was, I think it was #68. It has been a while since I have been in that area. These have easy access from the Road to Nowhere.

So long as you don't mind a little harder hike in from Smokemont, CS#47 (reservation required) looked like it would be a nice fishing camp. The spot itself is small and crummy, but the creek (Raven Fork) there is beutiful and probably doesn't get as much pressure as many others.

It isn't on a huge creek, but CS#41 in the Cataloochie area is one of my favorites. It is a nice level site near Big Poplars, which if you haven't seen it, is a must.

There is always Big Creek. You would have a cakewalk going in and out on the Big Creek Trail to CS#37. It is a nice site too, but it gets crowded. You could also fish on Big Creek and push on up the Swallow Fork Trail to Mt Sterling #38. It isn't the best site in the world, but the view from the firetower is terrific and at 5800ft, you won't get hot!

Campsite #23 on the Goshen Prong Trail is nice too and is a easy walk in from Elkmont. There is plenty of water there to fish.

gjbu
03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Deep Creek has plenty of sites from 3 - 10 miles from campground. This is a great overnighter. I have stayed at the first 3 sites and the hike in is not too bad. Fishing is usually pretty good.