PDA

View Full Version : Fishin' at the "Y"

hedge
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Planning my next trip (early to mid-March) and wondered about something.
Does anyone ever fish in the area known as the "Y?" Most times when I've been there it's been tuber/picnicker/sun bather season and I've never noticed anyone fishing there. Not that I object to sun bathers, but. ...
Just wondered if maybe there might be a trout or two in there.
Thanks
Hedge in WV

BlueRaiderFan
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Hedge,

I've tried that area, but I wasn't a very good fly fisherman at the time (still not that great:biggrin:). I think if you try it, I would still be very stealthy and cast from the bank, maybe even kneel down. I could be wrong about this, but when I've tried wading, it never worked.

Dwayne

flyred06
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
ride on out to tremont or elkmont would be my suggestion. Or fish a little up from where you are talking about between there and LRO.

hedge
02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I have fished at Tremont, but not Elkmont yet. That's on my list.
The "Y" just always looked like good water and was curious.
hedge in wv.

David Knapp
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Should be some stockers in that hole that have moved up from town. Also its possible that there is a big brown or two but as others mentioned, I would move upstream if I was going fishing...

troutslayer3393
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I've snorkeled there in November....not a very good idea:rolleyes: but I did see some holdover stockers and three or four BIG browns laying on the bottom, roughly 10 feet down. All of the fish I saw were close to where the east and west met. I would still fish up If I were you though.

milligan trout degree
02-25-2009, 12:57 AM
I've snorkeled there in November....not a very good idea:rolleyes: but I did see some holdover stockers and three or four BIG browns laying on the bottom, roughly 10 feet down. All of the fish I saw were close to where the east and west met. I would still fish up If I were you though.

or throw a zonker on some sinktip where the east and west prongs meet. :biggrin:

Thanks for the idea!!

Grampus
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I've had some great days and some slow days around the wye. From the Park boundary up to the wye can hold some nice (>20") trout. Some stockers, some wild. If you fish up from the Wye, I recommend fishing up the middle prong side. Even in the summer, the trout get used to the high number of tubers and I wait 15-30 seconds after a flotilla passes by and start fishing again. The tubers seem to stir up the trout. Once while at the Wye, I was enjoying the scenery (a sunbathing bikini babe) on a chair in the shallows of the middle prong emptying into the Wye pool. A guy with a snorkel stopped me as I was going to walk around the pool. He said he saw a pod of trout right where the middle prong emptied into the pool between me and the bikini babe. In 13 casts, I caught 12. I got distracted...
:smile:

troutslayer3393
03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
:eek:...where exactly is this so called "pool":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

nvr2L8
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
That wasn't you with snorkle was it?

troutslayer3393
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Nope...but that guy could have seen them in the same area that I did. Ive also peeked over one of the rock boulders at the "Y" (officially called wye) in the dead middle of winter to see several nice stocker bows and wild browns hiding under it. And...no I wasn't snorkeling that day:biggrin:. Its amazing how big some of those browns in the Little River can get.:eek:

duckypaddler
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
That wasn't you with snorkle was it?

No, just another guy staring at the chick in a bikini, I'm sure.

jeffnles1
03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
The annual bikini hatch, can't wait.

Jeff

nvr2L8
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Down, boys! You have been cooped up too long. :rolleyes:

troutslayer3393
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
First we were talking about the Y...and now chicks in bikinis:eek: