PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Lake

doghaircaddis
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm considering taking the Gheenoe to Fontana this weekend. Has anyone seen the lake level recently? I'm just wondering if I'll have any trouble finding a ramp.

Also, I plan to only fish the park side of the lake. Am I legal with only a TN license, or should I plan on getting a NC non-resident?

Thanks.

old tom
02-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Here's the link to the lake levels: http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=FNH&DataType=All&submit=View+info

I know you can put in at the Almond Boat dock outside of Bryson City. I'm pretty sure the marina at the dam is open year round also.

That's a great question about the license. The entire lake is within NC, even though TVA controls the water levels. The northern shoreline touches the Park and constitutes the southern Park boundry. I would assume if you're in the lake, you need a NC license.

Jswitow
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure you can fish Fontana with the TN license. Same with Slickrock, Calderwood
or Cheoah. You might call LRO, they should know this. NC out of state is the same as TN in state! You'll be able to put in at Fontana as well.
Good luck,
John

Carolina Boy
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Might wanna check the weather, it is pouring rain right now and supposed to tomorrow and then maybe snow on Sunday? FYI

Speckleman5
02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I believe you have to have a NC license. You should have no problem finding a ramp.

doghaircaddis
02-27-2009, 08:58 PM
I've decided to stay at the house this weekend. Not going to chance getting snowed-in over the hill. Hopefully next weekend will work-out. All I'm asking for is no snow/wind.

I'll just stick to fishing the lower sections of a couple of streams that flow into the lake. I was going to bring along the spinning reel for some lake smallies, but I can't justify that if I'm going to need a NC license.

I viewed the lake levels on the TVA website, but I don't really know how to interpret the data. My concern is that the lake level might be low and some of the ramps unusable.

I'll be camping too. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice site on the lake?

old tom
02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/op_guides/fontana.htm

This is the graph that will come up when you click on the blue writing kinda in the middle of the page. Many times a picture is worth a thousand words. The lake is down some 50 feet, but that's normal for this time of the year. It's a really steep shoreline.

There's probably not more than half a dozen ramps on the whole lake. But the two ramps I mentioned are looong ramps. I'm sure Almond is open and you can call Fontana Village to confirm if their ramp is open - 800.849.2258.

I'm drawing a blank on camping on the lake. There's FS campgrounds at Tsali and Cable Cove, but I don't think they open until April. Both also have ramps, but I didn't mention them earlier because I don't know if they are usable or not.

Probably a good choice on this weekend too.

doghaircaddis
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I confirmed that Fontana does require a NC license.

Boat fishing on Calderwood and the state line portion of Slick Rock Creek can be legally fished with either license, according to the NC/TN Reciprocal License Agreement.