PDA

View Full Version : It's that time

Speckleman5
03-05-2009, 01:24 PM
As a warm weather weekend approaches I just can't wait to get out and take in the back country for the first time this year. I have been fishing, but I've not been camping yet and I just can't wait to get out there. I hope everyone takes the opportunity to get out and see what the water is doing this weekend. Hopefully, some 50 plus degree water will show itself by Saturday afternoon. I can't wait to get out and take some pictures. The weekend can't get here fast enough.

GrouseMan77
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I hate to wish time away but I've never been more ready for spring.
I noticed on the fishing report that Byron mentioned changing the website's picture to a spring theme. Please hurry this project along.

flyred06
03-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I AGREE. It is time to see all of nature in its full blossom. The fishing will be starting up and the animals will start moving. New life will come out and memories will be made. It has come at perfect time.

caught 108
03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/djmathis06/image001-1.jpg

Rob GRiggs
03-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow you guys have gotten all the snow this year. It has been in the 60s-70s for about a month. We have trees with blooms, irises and other flowers blooming here. We have a cold front coming in on saturday so I am afraid that the spring here will come to end to soon. Has been good fishing but not good snowboarding.

PeteCz
03-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with everyone, I'm ready for Winter to be over. Its not that its been overly harsh this year, the problem is that it just hasn't let up. There have been very few breaks in the temps and in general its also been colder than normal.

I went to the National Weather Service Website and pulled some info. For the Period of Nov '08 through Feb '09 we were approximately 6% colder than the 5 year average across the same time period. Looking at the number of "65 degree-heating degree days**" we have had, we were actually 8% colder in Dec/Jan than we had been averaging over the last 5 years. Which is definitely colder, but not unseasonable so.

However, if we look at the number of "40 degree-heating degree days", it paints a bleaker picture. We have averaged 31% colder across the last 4 months than the 5 year average and 36% colder than last year [Nov '07 through Feb '08]. In general its just been colder, for longer.

I think we are all over it...

**What the heck do those numbers mean? The number of Heating Degree Days for a particular day is calculated by finding the average temp for the day (High Temp-Low Temp/2) and then subtracting the day's average temp from 65 (the normal temp that you would have to potentially turn on the heater). So if the High was 50 and the low was 30 the average would be 40 and the number of degree days for that day would be 25. If you add up the degree days across a number of weeks, months, etc you can compare them and look for trends.

But a few really, really cold days could sway the statistics for a whole season when we look at anything below an average of 65. If we only look at the days when the temp averages below 40 for a given day (days that are actually cold), we can get a better idea of how many cold days there really were. Thats why when we looked the 40 degree days it shows a much colder picture this year.[31% colder to be exact]
(http://www.degreedays.net)

Class dismissed....I really, really, really need to get out of the house....
:frown:

nvr2L8
03-05-2009, 08:09 PM
AAARRRGGHHHH!!!! Global cooling!! :eek:

Yeah, Pete, you definitely need to get out.

Speckleman5
03-05-2009, 08:23 PM
The weather just updated to 72 degrees here in Waynesville Saturday. I cannot wait to feed some hungry trout. No more talk about cold.........

jross
03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
It's that time alright. I caught about 2 dozen tiny bass and 1 bigger bass from my pond. (I had a big fish kill the last 2 years.) But that means I need to start practicing my fly casting. I got good ole SPRING BREAK in 2 weeks! WOOO HOOO! Even my 4yo son keeps saying "let's go to Tennsee!)

Barbara
03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Haven't been fishing since Oct. :frown: After a horrible winter, we are in Townsend for 3 days, hopefully the trout don't know the water is still a little cold and I will find one hungry for a dry/dropper. Thinking of Middle Prong until afternoon, maybe Abrams, which I have never fished. If it gets to 70 maybe Metcalfe Bottoms this pm.

Carolina Boy
03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey Speckleman5 I live near Canton NC , are u in Waynesville????

Rob GRiggs
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I heard that the global warming rally was cancelled due to cold weather last week. I will have to say in the winter I fish alot of tail waters because its not frozen and I just dredge midges all winter. But I do miss the day of a trout rising to a BWO. I look forward to those days.

nvr2L8
03-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Barbara,

Good to hear from you again after a long winter's nap! Look forward to seeing the post of your venture today.

Barbara
03-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I fished below Tremont around 11 am and got 3. I expected hits on the dropper but got 2 on a small Madame X! I kept waiting for the sunshine but it stayed overcast until nearly 4 pm. I decided to try Abrams Creek after lunch. Took forever to get there as I got behind someone who never pulled off the road but slowed down every 15 feet.

I didn't catch a single trout at Abrams. I have no idea what I did wrong. Finally I went to the restroom at the Mill and heard the stream over behind it. Jack went down to the water and I went to the truck to get my rod. On the way back I took a short cut and ended up on the edge of a gully. Looked like it had a foot of water in it from the last rain so I stepped in to cross it. Big mistake.

The first step was OK, the second I sank a bit, the third was like what I imagine stepping into quicksand must feel like. No bottom, sinking and when I tried to step again I had sunk so deep I fell forward. Jack happened to see me and helped me get out. I was covered in thick goo from the waist down and both arms. Once he got me out he laughed so hard he could not stand up. Periodically for the next 30 minutes he would start laughing hyena-like.

Had to slog down to the water and try to wash the stuff off, man that water was cold on my bare arms. My poor waders are still streaked-looking and I am drying out the bottom of my vest now.

I hate Abrams Creek. Nobody told me it had quicksand.

nvr2L8
03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Yep, there's a lot of that goo around there. You run into that alot on the upper part of Abrams (Spring Creek section), especially along the edges of the stream bed. The last two times I've been to Abrams (fishing from about 100 yards from the trailhead and back up) I haven't seen a single fish. Went with PeteCz and he didn't have any better fortune there regardless of some pretty nice water temps coming out of the spring-fed section.

Wash 'em off and start over. Hope tomorrow is better for you, Barbara.

Speckleman5
03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes Carolina boy I am. Until tomorrow afternoon then I'll be in Bradley Fork, haha.

Barbara
03-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Charlie B,

Fished above Metcalfe Bottom this AM, no luck, lots of people. Went back to the trailer to watch the University of Kentucky Wildcats get their butt kicked by Florida. (Basketball has been painful this season for Cat fans). After the game I headed toward Tremont but decided to stop at the first pulloff past the Y since I never fished there. I walked upstream and Jack stayed in the truck. After awhile he decided to walk awhile and went over the bank to the stream. I heard him yell and headed back. Some guy had come up to the truck and lowered the tailgate. Jack heard the noise and shot up the bank. Jack had a large rock in the back of the truck. The guy was standing in the bed of the truck with the rock and Jack invited him to get out of the truck. The guy started talking about what a nice truck it was and he was just checking it out. Jack invited him out in stronger language. He got out and started towards Jack, who lifted his metal walking stick and invited him to stay where he was, again in pretty strong language. About that time I came up over the bank. A girl in a bluish car pulled up, the guy jumped in and they took off towards the Y. I saw an R, S, and maybe another letter in the license and was too dumb to even notice what state is was.

Now it is possible that the guy really liked my dirty 3 year old truck with the dent and it is possible that he had never seen a rock like the one in the truck bed...but it occurred to us that maybe he intended to take that rock and smash in a window.

Nothing like this has ever happened to us. I was shocked that anybody would bother a vehicle parked on a main road so near town.

BlueRaiderFan
03-07-2009, 09:34 PM
It doesn't shock me. There are some real idiots in this world. At least you didn't get hurt.

Treecatcher2
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Barbara
Glad you guys are ok, that would shake me up. I have fished that area often. As Blueraider said at least you didn't get hurt.

nvr2L8
03-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Barbara,

Sorry to hear about your encounter today. I guess I'm just naive enough not to consider the possibility but I've never worried about leaving my vehicle up in the park. Guess you can't get far enough away from people with mischieve on their minds. Hope your third day has better results for you.

Not alot of sympathy for the Cats the way they mistreated the Vols this year.

Be safe.

Barbara
03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Charlie B,

The Cats did some Vol kicking, but Bruce Pearl got his revenge. Aren't the Vols the SEC conference leaders going into the SEC tournament? I don't know where the Cats are after this afternoon's disaster.

I never worried about leaving my truck anywhere in the park either....until today.

nvr2L8
03-07-2009, 10:40 PM
The Vols are the Eastern Division conference leaders. I'm afraid the West is going to do some East butt kicking in the tournament.

I'm going to give the Smokies a shot on Monday. Hoping the water has had time to stay warm for a bit by then. One of the great blessings of living 30 minutes away from the Park to be able to play hookie from work and head for the mountains.

Barbara
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I think Monday would be a great day. The water should be warm enough by then and not many people will be out. We have to leave Monday but if the weather is not too bad, we hope to come back in 2 weeks. Hope you have great fishing!!

bigpopper
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
We need to hit as many rivers as possible before they all become glaciers!
lol...lol :eek:;)