PDA

View Full Version : Revised Trip Plans, am I off Base

bones
03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
With the ever changing forecast, it seems as if there is some cooler weather and rain the end of next week. I know the specs back home in Va will feed if the water is above 36 but their southern cousins seem to prefer water in the 50ies. Brookie streams may be out of the question except for Meigs. Do I have to wade little River to get to Meigs?

I think the smaller 'bow and brown streams will be my best bet for fish. I was thinking Jakes Creek, West Prong Little River, Anthony, Forge and Mill Creek. I love Middle Prong but with two days of rain possibly on the horizon it may be higher than what is good for fishing. Am I off base with these choices?

Thanks bones

Kytroutbum
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Check the weather link off the fishing report. It might not be get bad in Smokies till later on Sunday. Ky usually seems to get weather first. Tight lines

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

nvr2L8
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Bones,

Go to the Sinks parking lot and catch the Meigs Creek trail. Don't know if you're familiar with it but the Sinks are, I'm guessing, 8 miles from the Y above Townsend and before you get to Metcalf Bottoms. It's the big parking lot with the Congested Area signs on both ends. The creek crosses the trail (or is it the other way around?) quite a few times.

sammcdonald
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
17 creek crossings before you get to meigs mtn/lumber ridge trail juntion...and the manway straight ahead that leads down to the waterfall (spruce flat falls)...i know because i've dunked up there on meigs creek trail

nvr2L8
03-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Sam,

Are you talking about the falls that dump into Little River below the Sinks? I thought that was Meigs Falls.

bones
03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Guess I'll have to get a map of the park. benn meaning to get a good one for awhile anyway.

Thanks,
bones

duckypaddler
03-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Sam,

Are you talking about the falls that dump into Little River below the Sinks? I thought that was Meigs Falls.

If you are going to hike that manway go from the Sinks to Tremont & not vice-versa. A friend & I took on that last year and thought we would add Lumber Ridge for a nice loop, but we ended up just bushwacking and not making much progress as we lost the old railroad bed. Whereas if you hike the way that was initially suggested you can always find the creek and use it to navigate. It was a pretty hike anyway, and there is lots of ols logging junk and cables lying around.

Mocs123
03-07-2009, 11:29 AM
In addition to the National Geographic Map, you absolutely have to pick up the little brown book, "Hiking Trails of the Smokies". It has elevations profiles and very detailed descriptions of every trail in the Smokies. It tells you about all of the creek crossings, campsites, water sources. etc. For any type of backcounty excursion in the Smokies it will be the best $20 you ever spent.

http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,5.html

sammcdonald
03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
heed ducky's advice...sinks to tremont not the other way