PDA

View Full Version : Trout on the Mad River in Ohio

Groundhawg
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I just had to make a report on the Mad River in Ohio. Yesterday was my first opportunity since December to get out on the river. I figured that my chances were pretty slim of catching anything, but the temperature for the day was to be in the mid-60's and so I had to leave work. I figured the water temps of the river would be really low since we had single digit temps earlier in the week, and the only chance I would have would be with the usual nymphs. But wait!!! It was mid-afternoon and as I was watching my strike indicator with two nymphs floating below I thought I heard a splash behind me. Sure enough, there were more splashes or more like sips on the surface. I figured they were just fingerlings from last fall when the state stocked the river. After putting on the smallest BWO that I could find, I made a few casts and then the subtle sip of the fly. To my amazement I landed a nice 14 inch brown. The day was a success although I only caught three in the four hours of fishing. What a great way to start of the new season.