PDA

View Full Version : Fly recommendations

bmc
03-08-2009, 12:49 AM
We're headed to the Smokies next weekend (Thurs 12th) to one of the Fontana streams and I want to make sure I'm not leaving out any "must-have" flies. I've got the standard arsenal of BHHE, BHPT, BH Prince, Wooly Buggers, Adams, BWO, EHC, and Stimulators packed up; and have room in my flybox for a few more. What else should I throw in there?

Also, we mostly fish C&R; but will keep a few for the fire one night if we catch enough. Considering we will be backpacking, does anyone have a better recipe than onion, lemon, garlic,mustard, dill and s&p that would be tasty? Mmmm, is it Thursday yet?

clearwaterscott
03-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't have any suggestions but am excited to benefit from the reponses. I also am heading to the Townsend base camp next week for 4 days of fishing. The far end of the long term forecast suggests nice days and wine sipping cool evenings.:smile:

bones
03-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I'll be fishing the Tn side of the Park the same time you are down. I think you got your bases covered. The only other thing I could say, some from experience, some from the responses I received, are little black and brown stones, blue quills ( I'm sure a #16 to #18 BWO will cover it ), and Quill Gordons #10 -#14. Don't forget tellicos on the nymph side. I've been told a reverse tellico is particularily deadly.

Art Vandalay
03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I would ALWAYS have tan caddis and black caddis on hand in #18.

troutslayer3393
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Also have a couple of tellico nymphs

Waterborn
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
2nd the Little Back Caddis - and some small softhackes to boot - lost a huge brown on one Friday after throwing small pt all afternoon, decided to switch and wham! :eek: a head shaking, line breaking gator of a brown suprised the mess out of me and took me and my rig to school...I'm going out tomarrow to get my rig back :redface:

Chuckwalla
03-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I would ALWAYS have tan caddis and black caddis on hand in #18.

Art, I like the way you think! Black caddis has saved the day many a time.

Art Vandalay
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I'll expound on the black caddis. I think it's as good of fly as the #14 Parachute Adams which "imo" is the single best "dry" fly in the park......only cause the blackbird is a wet. I have a guide friend that almost always uses a #18 black caddis as his dropper on a tandem nymph rig. It might be better as a wet than a dry.

Good luck.

Art

Tedious
03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Check out "Suggested Flies" on the Fishing Report Page. The last list is dated 03/02. Of course, getting input from such an august group of Appalachian fly masters is preferred! Tight Lines. TDS

bmc
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Okay, cool. Thanks for the responses. I think I have most of the suggested flies except for the tellico nymphs. I don't even know what a reverse tellico is.

Regarding using the EHC as a dropper, do I just allow it to become waterlogged, or add some split shot to it? Dead drifted or actively fished?

Do most of you fish a tandem rig of dry/dropper, or concentrate on a single fly?

Art Vandalay
03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Bmc,

For most streams up there I fish one of three ways:

1) Single dry only

2) Bushy dry, like a stimulator, parachute adams or wulff, with a dropper

3) Weighted tandem nymph rig, like a prince, tellico or pheasant tail with a softhackle or caddis dropper

Hope this helps!