PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Lakes

ajh10567
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I am headed to Colorado to do some fishing around the end of May. We are going to have one day to fish rocky mountain national park. Our goal is to fish one of the high altitude lakes for greenbacks. Does anyone have any reconmmendations on a lake or a certain area that is productive?

PeteCz
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I may be wrong on this one, but if you are looking to fish a high-altitude lake in May in RMNP, you may be wading through snow and be ice fishing. Trail Ridge Road, usually doesn't open until Memorial Day and thats at about the same elevation as many of the lakes. So far this year they have higher than average snowpack, so you might not be able to fish very high up without being iced out.

Your best bet may be to see how far up one of the streams you can go, like St. Vrain Creek.

Check out this link:
http://www.flyfisherman.com/rmnp/index5.html

irfishing
03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Stop at the fly shop in Estes Park.
Don't recall the name, but helpful folks.

Rob GRiggs
03-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I LOVE TO FISH the park! It is a great place to fish but in May you might have a little bit of problems fishing some of the high lakes. Like was said by pete snow may be an issue although we have not got that much here.I was up at the park about 3 weeks ago and there wasnt much snow at lower elevations and no snow at estes park. Not even piled up in a north facing area. The guys at Kirks fly fish shop are great. They do have guide services but if you are like me I like to do my own thang. There is a lake that has GIANT greenbacks and I mean GIANT like 18-25 inches its called arrowhead. It is a very very hard hike. I would get a guide for this one but the fish are awesome. Like I said very very hard hike. I would talk to the guys a Kirks. They will for sure let you know whats going on. Good luck and you never know I might see you out there.

ajh10567
03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Will the spring runoff be real bad around the end of May? The reason I was looking at the lakes was due to the fact that many of the streams such as the Big Thompson would be running too hard.

Rob GRiggs
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I was thinking are you just wanting to catch green backs or are you just wanting to go fishing in the park? If you are wanting to catch green backs there are other places you can go to catch them. You can go to never summer pass and there is a small lake that is called Zimmerman and its packed with the little guys. And right down from there there is a a place called joe wright res. you can catch grayling and snake river cuts there. I have got many of time grandslams there. Not for sure if the ice will gone there yet? You can also fish the pudere river on the way up to the lakes. Great brown trout in there. Just some ideas.

Tedious
03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
My last time in the Rockies was June, 20 years ago in the back country around Eagle, CO. Residual snow at 12,000'...occassional snow flurries...at 10,000', dry ground but pretty chilly for this son for the South. Great fishing! Enjoy! TDS

ajh10567
03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah we were wanting to target greenbacks if there was a possiblility, and it seemed like the best possibility was fishing the lakes. It sounds like those two lakes you just mentioned sould awesome so we might just have to go check out those. I appreciate all the help!