PDA

View Full Version : My First Royal Wulff

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry about the pictures. My camera is not so great and I suspect that I have no idea how to take a close up. Anyway, for what it's worth:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/March%202009/100_3428b.jpghttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/100_3423b.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I'll try and add better pics later...If any one has advice on taking close up, please let me know...good grief.

bones
03-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Use the Macro setting on your camera and either use a table top tripod or a stack of books to steady the shot; leave the fly in the vise.

From I can see of the fly, you have the basic construction down and it will definately fish. Time to work on proportions. The hackle looks a little big and the tail looks a little short. The hackle length should equal a hook gaps worth at the most a gap and one half. The tail and wings should be equal to the length of the hook shank. Looks like you got the wings and your placement of them is good. The way you have them further back on the shank helps to prevent the fly from being front heavy and pitching forward on the water.

Goog luck and keep posting them bugs. And remeber they all fish.

BlueRaiderFan
03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Bones,

Thanks for the info. I knew about the proportions, but I don't have any brown hackle small enough for the hook I was using. I will try and figure out what the macro setting is. I guess I could try them all :biggrin:. The vice idea is a good one. My hand isn't so steady these days. Thanks again.

BRF

bigpopper
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Great looking fly! That one's really gonna get 'em! :biggrin:

PeteCz
03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
BRF, I've always had trouble with Calf Tail Wulff style wings and it looks like you pulled that part off really well, good job!

As far as proportions, if you don't already have one, you might want to get a whiting 100 pack sz14 in Brown and/or Grizzly. They are about $15 per pack and they are a great way of staying close to the "standard" sizes. The packs have the long saddle hackle feathers that I think are easier to use than capes (but that's just me...). Plus what starts off as a sz 14 hackle usually ends up at a sz 16 after you have tied a few flies with the feather, so you can usually tie 2-3 (or more) 14s and 16s in the same pattern with one hackle feather.

Now for some humor. When I started tying a few years back I decided to save my first few flies. This way I can look back and see the progress I've made. Believe me, you are way ahead of where I was on my first Royal Wulff. I titled this one the Prince Charles (because it's one ugly royal...)
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/UglyRoyal.jpg

I'm not sure where, but I think there is some peacock and red floss buried under the hackle somewhere!

nvr2L8
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Dohhh!! My brookie has a hairball!

BlueRaiderFan
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Pete,

That's nothin'. You should see some of my first. It took me a while, but now I can just look at most patterns and figure them out (at least most of the normal ones). I did have to go to YouTube to figure this one out though, but all in all, not to difficult. My father in law bought me a tying kit about years ago (I had tied a few out of it then forgot about it until last year when I started fly fishing) and it had all capes. They've come in handy, but aren't suitable for size 20's. I've spent so much on tying so far that I think I will just trim the hackle down when I need to. This crap can get expensive! I will replace with exactly what I want as older supplies run out. I think I am really starting to enjoy tying. It's amazing at all of the patterns there are out there.

BlueRaiderFan
03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Great looking fly! That one's really gonna get 'em! :biggrin:

Thanks buddy...I've got a few extra tied for ya.

flyman
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
The RW is not an easy fly to tie. Lots of steps, and if just one of the steps are out of proportion it can hurt the looks of the fly. I think it might be easier to start out with larger hooks for this pattern and work your way down. Keep tying, and pay close attention to proportions. Proper proportions are one of the things that stand out in a well tied fly. Here is a good tutorial on the RW, look closely at his proportions. Keep working at it, I can see you are making progress.

http://flyguysoutfitting.com/royalwulff.html

BlueRaiderFan
03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Flyman. I will pay more attention to proportions. I have limited materials right now, so I don't always have the right size hackle for the hook I'm using. The largest hooks I have are 16's, but that size 20 was tough to tie on. I am really starting to enjoy tying though. There is a "drowned stonefly" in this months FR&R magazine that I may try tonight.

cherokeeflyboy
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Looks pretty good and like one of mine. I just started tying myself guess I will have to post one of two of mine. Since I got a lighted magnifying glass they have started to look better...guess the old age thing is setting in...lol. However I did catch fish on some that I tied yesterday.

Good fishing and Great Health

BlueRaiderFan
03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I need the magnifying glass. I have some 2X glasses, but need more light.