PDA

View Full Version : Pisgah

summertime14
03-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I am both new to this forum and trout fishing. I have fished for salmon and steelhead in Michigan for many years. I just bought a 5wt and plan to break it in soon. I am planning on heading to the Pisgah Ranger district this weekend and was hoping for some tips. So far I only have plans to fish Avery Creek. I am coming from the upstate of SC, and don't really know many fishing streams. I am heading to Pisgah because I have been hiking and backpacking there, so I am pretty familar with some of it. Thanks for any pointers.

scflyfisher
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Summertime,

I'm also in the upstate of SC and fish in Pisgah fairly regularly. Avery creek may be a little low, but is a fun little stream to fish. When it is low I usually only look for the deeper spots to fish. Personally I would stick with nymphs down on the bottom unless I saw bugs hatching with fish rising to them. As far as nymphs go, its not complicated on Avery. I'd stick to Pheasant tails, Prince's, Tellicos and Hare's Ears. Probably in sizes 12-16. I usually tie on one of those flies with a small split shot, then just work my way upstream only casting in places that have some depth. By depth I mean anything maybe 2 feet or deeper. There is a lot of really skinny water, meaning 1 foot or less that I try not to spend too much time with. Not that the shallow water won't have any fish, but my experience on Avery is that the best fish I catch are always in the deeper holes. Make sure and fish under some of the bridges that cross the stream. As far as dry flies, I'd carry parachute adams, some caddis and blue wing olives if you want to fish on top.

I don't know if you have ever fished the Davidson but its worth a try if your at Avery. The Davidson should be fishing well right now. I would use similar nymphs there, but smaller like 16-20 sizes.

There are tons of other flies you can catch'em on, but I try to keep it very simple. I've caught plenty of fish on Avery with the ones I mentioned. Let me know how it works out when you go.

Matt

troutslayer3393
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I second the Davidson. Theres a chance that you will catch a fish of a lifetime there. Small nymphs like scflyfisher said but also, if you fish the Davidson, Use flourocarbon 5 to 6x tippet (small) because the trout are used to seeing everything in that river. I'd say that over half the fish in the hatchery stretch are over 20 inches. It's also very easy access. Just park at the hatchery and walk 20 feet to 25 to 30 inch fish. If you fish here there is a possibility of getting skunked though.

P.S.(trout pellet patterns work well):biggrin:

summertime14
03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I need to get a copy of the regulations. I thought someone told me the Davidson was closed right now. That is why I thought about Avery.

scflyfisher
03-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I usually fish the Davidson from the confluence with Avery on up to the hatchery. Lots of good water there. If you don't want crowds I'd stay away from water within 5 minutes walk of the hatchery. There will be people everywhere on the Davidson, but not as concentrated as around the hatchery. It should be fishing very well right now. I would also second troutslayer about the flouro. Of all the TN and NC streams I fish, the Davidson seems to be the place I notice my results varying the most based on whether I'm using mono vs. flouro.

summertime14
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
So I guess the only section on the Davidson closed right now would be the first mile or so as you enter the park? How would you say the fishing is on the creeks that branch off of the Davidson or above the hatchery? I think I am moving my weekend trip to next week because of the weather they were predicting for the weekend. I still might go up one day, maybe sunday, but not spend all weekend like I hoped.

troutslayer3393
03-14-2009, 09:26 AM
The catch and keep part of the davidson is closed till the first week of April, but the nine miles of catch and release water is open all year round.

summertime14
03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. I am heading up thursday night and plan on staying until sunday. Unfortunately there is supposed to be a fishing tournament on the Davidson saturday and sunday. So I may venture around Brevard at some of the other streams mentioned in another post.

lee0070
03-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Try the North Fork of the French Broad River in the gorge off 215 north of 64. Some big wild browns down there in the deep pools. Make sure and get deep. One other creek farther up 215 is Courthouse Creek on service road 140 east off 215. Great small creek teaming with trout and beautiful scenery.

summertime14
04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the pointers guys. I forgot to let you know how it went. I only fished for about three hours. I came down with strep throat while I was up there, and I just couldn't do anything. Fortunately before I got to bad I went to the davidson. A guy on the way in told me to fish with emergers, I gave it my best shot, but after seeing trout coming to the surface I tied on a quill gordon and caught three in about 45 min. the biggest was about 20 in. I had a blast for that short time, but just did not feel well, I think I was running a fever. I might try again this weekend. Thanks.

mtnman2888
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
There are plenty of high quality streams in that area if you're not afraid to explore. My personal opinion about the davidson it's a great river, i just don't like the area that everyone else likes to fish.

Matt, i hope everything is going well with your wife and family, we should go fishing sometime.