PDA

View Full Version : Pictures From Last Weekend

David Knapp
03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Full report is over on my blog but I just wanted to share some of the pictures from this past weekend. I made it up to the Park for a fishing/camping trip and had a great time! The bugs were a little uncooperative but the fish were still willing and eager to eat lots of different nymph patterns. Fished Middle Prong, Little River, and LR above Elkmont over the course of the weekend. There were two highlights of the trip for me. First was catching a 12" brown on LR and the other was watching Joe Mcgroom (from LRO) work a 13-14 inch brown for around half an hour, changing flies many times before finally figuring out what the fish wanted and catching it. it was kind of strange getting used to normal water levels again but it was good to see for a change...

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the weekend...

Middle Prong 'Bow
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4158.jpg

Middle Prong has water again!
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4159.jpg

Nice LR Brown
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4161.jpg

The colors were fantastic on this fish!
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4165.jpg

Joe's nice brown...
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4198.jpg

LR Rainbow
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP4201.jpg

bones
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Great looking fish. Can't wait to be there tomorrow.

ACinEastTN
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
When this is referred to, which middle prong chould I assume you guys are talking about. I also fished middle prong of the lil' Pigeon this weekend, but I don't know if it is the same you're reffering to.

Little side story: I parked on the road in Greenbrier and fished upstream for maybe half a mile. Crawled up the bank and began walking back down the road to the car when a man's voice came up behind me and asked: "Have they started biting yet?" I quickly said NO before turning around, as I had been asked this same type question a hundred times already. When I did turn around I quickly noticed it was Phil Fulmer riding his bike. He said he had been fishing the same hole yesterday and did not catch anything.

jeffnles1
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice looking fish and great looking water. You guys who live close enough to fish the mountains more than a few times a year are killing me up here in Northern Kentucky (Actually, I'm writing this from my office in Cincinnati while looking out over a traffic jam on Interstate 71 south and knowing I'll have to get in that mess on the way home).

Keep the pictures and stories coming. It helps the rest of us have something to dream about and to look forward to.

Jeff

David Knapp
03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
That would be Middle Prong of Little River, also often referred to as "Tremont." Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon is beautiful water and I wish I fished there more often but I hate traveling through/anywhere near Gatlinburg to get there...

flyguys
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Nice fish! We hope your year is a great one! Keep the pictures coming. That keeps the fire kindled for our next trip out there. Good luck on all your outings. flyguys.

Byron Begley
03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Great report David as usual. Thank you for sharing your day with us in such a wonderful way.

Byron

bigpopper
03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Geat pics! Thanks for the report!

EarlOfSoDak
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice report David. Bet you can't wait for some color on the trees and some fish on top. Are you going to be back in the Smokies this summer??

flyred06
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I swear man, you could catch fish in a bath tub, mud hole or a dixie cup. Good report nice catches congrats. The fishing down this way still has not turned on yet but when they do I hope I have some luck like you.

David Knapp
03-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Nice report David. Bet you can't wait for some color on the trees and some fish on top. Are you going to be back in the Smokies this summer??

Jamie, I'm still not sure what I'm doing this summer. Right now I'm trying to figure out where I want to teach next school year. If I have the time, I'll probably be trying to spend some time out west, Colorado, Yellowstone, and hopefully including the Black Hills. You still keep up with what's happening out there?

EarlOfSoDak
03-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Apparently the last few years have been better water years. Some of the lesser known creeks like Castle, Elk and Custer State Park are fishing better. Spearfish has blown out the past two years in the spring- like 2,000 + cfs (typically 45) which has broken up the calcified stream bed that it's known for. This has allowed for better spawning habitat and more fish, and more bugs. I haven't been back since I moved, but I hear things are looking up.

donwinn
03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
David,

You are the man!

I wish you the best in your teaching career. I hope regardless of where you are this summer or when you start teaching that you will continue to provide these great reports and pictures.

Keep up the great artilces in the journal as well.

cardfly
03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
PA,

I happen to be an elementary school principal in Louisville Ky and could work a deal with you if you teach me to fish. :smile:

I figure 30 or 40 trips with you and I could maybe be a little below average. I can work an extra planning period in here and there if you need.

scflyfisher
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Nice work David. I struggled on the East Prong this past weekend. I don't get to fish Little River very often, and whenever I have been away for a while I feel like I have a day or so to "knock the rust off". Unfortunately that meant catching no fish this time when I usually get a few to hand. It sure was a nice weekend to be out.

Matt

David Knapp
03-12-2009, 07:11 PM
PA,

I happen to be an elementary school principal in Louisville Ky and could work a deal with you if you teach me to fish. :smile:

I figure 30 or 40 trips with you and I could maybe be a little below average. I can work an extra planning period in here and there if you need.

Hmmm, perhaps a nice signing bonus? I teach math so that should be good for something extra as well...:biggrin: I actually had someone I know call me about a job up in that area but I told them that I don't want to live around there at this point in my life...too far from good trout water...:rolleyes:

nvr2L8
03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Glad to see you have your priorities in order, David. Congrats on some nice catches and beautiful pictures as always.

Stonefly
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey David, don't they need math teachers in Montana?

sb

cardfly
03-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I agree with being to far away from good trout water. let me work on the budget and I'll see if I can come up with a nice bonus. By the way, everyone catch all the fish you can this weekend because me and a buddy are coming down next weekend to catch the rest..... I hope:rolleyes:

Jswitow
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Plateau,
Nice report as the rest have said. We need to fish together sometime! Are you back in Middle TN now, having graduated? If so, congratulations!
CardFly, I grew up in Louisville, lived there until I was 30. I miss friends there, bardstown road and the parks, the river, Oldham county, and many other things. It is a great city and Kentucky a beautiful state. Problem is there are no trout (to speak of), or mountains. E. TN is a great place to be. If you want someone to fish with when you're down, shoot me an email. jswitow@hotmail.com. Running the Derby mini this year for that matter (how do I get into these things?!)
Best,
John