PDA

View Full Version : advice on gear and first aid kit

jross
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Well it's look like I'm going back to harrass the trout over spring break! I'll be there the week of 3/23. And I saw that it's a new moon! (That's good for trout right?) What should I be packing; flies, tippetts, etc? Probably nothing different than any other year, just thought I'd ask. I'll defineatly be stopping in LRO ASAP.

But I could use help on this one thing. Does anyone carry a first aid kit or "necessities" bag? After my son got attacked by hornets, I really got worried about having the right stuff. So what do you have in it? and what does anyone carry for critters, both big ones and little ones.

Jack M.
03-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I took along bandages, antiseptic ointment, aspirin and an anti-histamine. The allergy medicine can add time to getting medical attention for bug stings if you have a reaction. I smoke, so I always have a lighter-- another good idea. Fresh water should be along to hydrate and even clean a cut before dressing. Anything more serious than can't be handled by these things should counsel getting out of the woods and seeking medical help. Another idea is a loud whistle to frighten animals and summon help. Duct tape and ultraviolet wader repair can also be handy, though a wet leg in the park probably is just a minor inconvenience. The tape could solve equipment issues like a broken guide or a problem with your wading/hiking boots.

buzzmcmanus
03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
What should I be packing; flies, tippetts, etc? A stick of dynamite would have helped me immensely last Sunday.

Does anyone carry a first aid kit or "necessities" bag? Not really. Maybe some Benedril if you're afraid of yellowjacket stings. Most of the places I fish, I can hike out in a day. If I have an accident that prevents me from hiking out, a first aid kit will do nothing to help. Just my opinion.

Kind of reminds me of an accident I had while fishing this fall. I was holding a large rock in my hands while walking. When I went and ducked under a tree limb, the top of my head caught the limb. I don't know if I jerked my head down, or the rock up, but I put my front teeth through my lip, actually, the area just below by bottom lip. I knew I was bleading bad, but I had just hiked into where I wanted to fish and didn't want to turn back around and leave. I tore an arm off my t-shirt to use as a bandage, and when the bleeding got too bad, I'd stop and put pressure on it to slow it down for a while. I fished this way for several hours. When I finally quit fishing, I had blood all up and down the front of my shirt. I think everybody and there brother was at the trailhead when I finally hiked out. Not one person asked me if I caught anything. Some may have thought I'd been attached by a bear, because when I went to tear the sleeve off my shirt, it didn't tear cleanly and tore a big hole half way across my chest. I was an absolute mess.

Maybe I should add superglue along with the Benedril. I could have at least glued the front portion of my cut closed.

Yep, Benedril and superglue, that's my final answer.

Stonefly
03-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Dang Buzz, you da man!

sb

summertime14
03-13-2009, 06:01 PM
What was the rock for?

I carry a small first aid kit for backpacking. You can buy them at almost any outdoor store in whatever size you are willing to carry, with a wide range of items stuffed inside, from basic to extravagent. Most of the stuff is just to make you comfortable for whatever is wrong until you can get to a place to take care of it properly. In many cases it can allow you to stay out longer and not have to address the injury right away. Benedril and superglue might just be the answer.

Rob GRiggs
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
I also cary an emergency blanket, 2 lighters, a cliff bar, small first aid kit and a very small light. After being totally lost one time and had to stay the night unprepared. It was raining so hard and lighting very hard. I was not fishing but hiking. I wont say that I wont get lost again but at least I will be able to stay dry and build a fire. That was a wake up for me. I will not go into the woods without certain stuff.

flyman
03-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Toilet paper, aka mountain money :biggrin:

pmike
03-13-2009, 11:19 PM
to most thats already been mentioned, I also carry a few nylon cable ties, great for holding a reel on a busted reel seat or for cuffing a beligerant bear so he can't take a swipe atcha :)

Mike

sting sticks and benedryl

BlueRaiderFan
03-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I reccomend a Sam Splint (great splint for breaks), gauze, tape, ace bandage, bendryl, pain reliever, emergency blanket, tweezers, two sources of fire, water purification tabs (in case your filter breaks), a whistle (easy to blow and get attention if you get injured and people are looking for you) and a little extra food just in case. That's if I'm going back country. If I'm just out for the day, I take the emergency blanket, water tabs and two sources of fire, oh and some jerky...light weight source of protein in case you get stuck for a day or two.

WRN
03-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with First Aid basics just in case. The item that really caught mt attention was to carry a few nylon ties which could be used for many tasks but would really beat a bootlace to hold a reel on like I once used. Great thought !!

Brian Griffing
03-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree with Buzz about most of it not doing you much good. Most places in the Smokies, at most most times of year, in most of the places where people fish, you can either get out relatively quickly, or someone will be along shortly. Again, I said "most". I always carry a knife, and some way to start a fire. Other than that, I just hope the camera crew can keep up with me while I am filming the most recent episode of Griff vs. Wild.

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I think this time of year, there is not as much traffic, especially if you are in a couple of miles. During the summer, I agree that a small pack is best.

jross
03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
good stuff, thanks ya'll!

the zip strips/ties were a good idea. (just yesterday I casted my son's reel into the pond at home, so reel loss can happen anywhere :biggrin: [junky spincaster!])

When it comes to stings ya'll just agree with Benadryl? and what are sting sticks? Do you just get 'em at the drug store?

Here's why I'm thinking about this: one year I had a student in class who was an athletic girl, not the kind you'd picture with many weaknesses especially allergies. I always associated allergies with Paul Pfiefer (Wonder Years). Well she had to carry an epipen for bee stings, because they could kill her. I got thinking what if you were out in the woods and got stung and had nothing on you. How bad it would be to die doing something you love...from an allergic reaction!

Crockett
03-16-2009, 09:25 AM
I carry the benedryl quick dissolve strips because they are thin, light, sealed individually, and clearly labeled as to what they are. I carry 3 or 4 and it doesn't take up any room. Easier than a bottle or box of pills and I don't like carrying random pills in ziplocs because I might forget what they are or take the wrong thing. The dissolve strips just look like the other little packets of anit-biotic cremes or small flat assorted items in my first aid kit. Just another tip for you.