PDA

View Full Version : Cullowhee nc

FFM4LIFE
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
There is a stream that runs near Western Carolina University in Cullowhee NC. Does any one know any thing about this stream. Hows the fishing, what kind of fish, etc....

Thanks!

old tom
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Not sure if the Tuckasegee is what you're talking about or not. Come out of the WCU campus on Hwy 107 and turn right back toward Sylva. In less than a mile turn left on North River Road or something like that. That will put you alongside the Delayed Harvest section of the Tuck. It goes downstream from there about 5.5 miles to Dillsoboro. It's stocked very heavily. http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg03_Fishing/stocking/stock_jackson.pdf Above the campus it's Hatchery Supported waters.

Be sure you look at the generation schedules (East Fork and West Fork on the attachment) http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/nantahala/nan-scheduled-flow-releases.asp

Generally speaking:
No generation - Wade anywhere.
One Fork generating - Wade very, very carefully.
Both Forks generating - Fish where you can swim back to the bank wearing full fishing gear.

Carolina Boy
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Yea Old Tom is right about the generation. To clarify a bit the two seperate dam's that relaese water are listed as the East and West. The East discharges a greater amount of water...I remember it as the East is the Beast! With just the East running you can wade but be carefull, My favorite is when the west is running becasue it seems to stir the food up and the fish are on the feed without using too much energy. When we have rain like we have lately the river will be the color of coffee, I guess it is the construction run-off. There will be a good black caddis hatch starting soon, and from then on the river is usually a ball of fire! If you want some location specifics let me know, Good river!

Speckleman5
03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I believe you are thinking about Cullowhee Creek,which runs through Speedwell into Campus then into the Tuck. This is the one that runs directly between 107 and campus, and along the Jackson County Park(softball fields). Decent fishing, kinda grown over in places. Snaky as all heck when it gets hot.

old tom
03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this seems to be an appropriate place to ask.

I did a bike ride the other week from the WCU campus where I went away from Sylva on Hwy 107 for a few miles and turned left on Caney Fork Road. After a mile or so, I rode for the next 10 miles thru a beautiful valley alongside what I assume was Caney Fork Creek. It appears most of the access to the creek was on private property. It was a Saturday and I didn't see anyone fishing. Anyone know if it holds any fish?

Carolina Boy
03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I have fished that strech one time and yes there are some nice little brownies in there, I didn't stick a bow when I was there? I am sure they are present though, and yes access seems mostly private.

MBB
03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Caney Fork certainly has some trout and years ago was considered one of the better NC trout streams. Unfortunately, most of the river is posted and access is difficult to find.