PDA

View Full Version : Finally

adirondack46r
03-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Decided to take the afternoon and head up to the LR today. I was fishing by 1:00 and things were slow. I hit some spots that have produced well for me in the past with no luck. Around 3:00 the insect activity really picked up - caddis, olives, Quill Gordon and a bunch of UFI (unidentified flying insects). Still no fish rising. As I looked down to search through my box I heard an unmistakable slurp. I looked up thinking I was hearing things, and just as I looked back down I heard another. Within 5 minutes there were 7 or 8 fish actively feeding in front of me. I landed 5 including a 13" brown, LDR'ed a couple and had a bunch more swipe but refuse the fly. I had the best hour of hatch matching, dry fly fishing I've had in over a year.

There is nothing - and I mean nothing - like casting a dry fly to a rising fish.

Get out there boys and girls!

Oh, and the fly of the day was a size 16 deer hair comparadun. Kind of unusual but that's what they wanted today.

eastprong
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
That's great news! I hope to be there on Friday.

Have you climbed all 46?

--Onteora Deprived

PeteCz
03-17-2009, 08:17 PM
a46r, good to see you back out there. How's the ankle feel?

We need to go out fishing sometime.

adirondack46r
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Pete, the ankle is doing well, thanks for asking. Still swells up pretty good but it is good and stable. I felt pretty confident wading today. I'm ready - let's hook up soon.

EastProng, yes, I've been up all 46, many of them multiple times. It's one of the very few things I miss about NY.

buzzmcmanus
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Bob,
I saw I missed your call yesterday. I was actually running the Greenway and thought I may had seen you outside. It was the first good run I'd had in weeks and I knew if I stopped, I would never get going again. I fished the Hiwassee all day Saturday (in the rain). Good time. I'll call you later today for with full report.