PDA

View Full Version : got any tips?

jross
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Unless something unforseen happens in a week, I'll be down in the mountains again! For this year, I would like to work on a couple of things. So I need some advice on these from my internet brain-trust!

1. How do you catch browns? I've only caught two, ever! That seems lopsided to me. So any tips on the brownies?

2. Downstream of Elkmont is where I first tried flyfishing for trout. I got skunked, badly. And every year I return and do "not so hot" every year. Is it possible to just have a bad section of river? Or is it my curse?

3. Can a person use fluorocarbon mono as a leader?

And if anyone wants a fishin' buddy next week, get in touch, I should have a day all to myself to fish the day away!

Art Vandalay
03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
1) Large browns feed at night and are too smart for me. I always catch a higher rate of rainbows to browns, even on brown trout water.

2)User error...I have the same problem myself on just about every river I fish.

3) If you use fluro as a dry fly leader, I would put some gink on it to float, it sinks. I always use fluro for nymphing, but typically use mono for dries.

Mocs123
03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Looking through the "Fish of the Month" posts, I would ask Plateau Angler. Either he takes a pic with his pet 20" plus brown trout and sends it in every month, or he has big browns down to a science.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMGP3491.jpg

jross
03-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I thought I might get some suggustions on where browns live or hang out in the current or something. Maybe everyone has trouble with them, or they ain't giving out internet info to a nosy out of towner!:rolleyes:

If anyone sees a silver buick from IN, that's me. Stop by and say hi.