PDA

View Full Version : North Mills

summertime14
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
I will be in Pisgah this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fishing the North Mills.

old tom
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't think it's a faux pas to mention another message board. Go over here and poke around. Do a search on North Mills and you'll get more hits than you want to read. http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/

Hoosier
03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I would check to see if they restocked in the last 3-4 weeks. I was there at the end of Feb. I walked the area for awhile didn't see much of anything. Water looked okay but I have no idea what it normally looks like. I checked at a fly shop in Asheville and the guy said not to waste my time there that it had been fished out and to either go further south towards the Davidson or Avery (I think). I was going the other direction after that day so instead I went to Kephart Prong in the Smoky's and came out ahead.

old tom
03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
The North Mills is a Delayed Harvest stream. In NCWRC lingo that means it's stocked and catch and release only from March 1 until the first Saturday in June. After that it's Hatchery Supported until October 1, stocked again and in October and November and fished as Delayed Harvest. That's confusing -stated another way, it's Delayed Harvest from October 1 until the following year first Saturday in June.

That would explain a fished out comment in February - poachers and natural death of stockers.