PDA

View Full Version : April Trip to GSMNP

cherokeeflyboy
03-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I just wanted to say "hello" since I am new to this site forum. I will be in the GSMNP, arriving April 18 and departing April 26 and who knows maybe a day or two longer if the fishing is good.
I am looking for someone to fish with a day or two or just make new friends. I live Little Rock, Arkansas and love fishing in the park. Last year I traveled there twice to fish a total of 18 days and loved every minute of it. If you are interested just send me an email and let's get together and do some fishing or just a cup of coffee. :smile:

Mark

chicagoguy
03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi, where did you stay during your 18 days? Did you find the park safe? Do you have any favorite spots to fish that require minimal (4 miles rd trip or less) hiking?

Also, did you feel safe during your stay in the park? There's been so much talk about the new legislation to allow handguns in national parks. I wonder whether people are exaggerating the problem of violent crime in parks or if I'm just fortunate during my previous stays in national parks.

BlueRaiderFan
03-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Chicagoguy,

I've been going for years and have never had a single problem other than accidentally sneaking up on a bear (I make a lot of noise when I hike these days after jumping a couple of bears by accident). I've heard of a few incidents, but never even met anyone that has encountered a real problem. If you are worried, buy some bear mace. It works on bears AND humans!;)

Dwayne

cherokeeflyboy
03-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I stayed in a cabin both times I was there in Gatlinburg. I did not camp but I met many that did and I ask them if there were any problems and they said none. I too slipped up on one bear, not too close but close enough for my liking. Looked up once and there were 2 deer standing so close to me I could have touched one with half my fly rod...that was great. Some girls have pictures of it somewhere…lol.

But as far as feeling safe, I had no concerns at all. Most of the people that are there had families with them. I would not be concerned about that hand gun issue or any other safety issues except the wild life…just be on the look out.

Favorite places!? The first trip (early summer) was rainbow/brown fishing in the central part of the park on the Little River up stream of Metcalf Bottoms which you can drive right to, did not catch many browns mainly just rainbows…but it was great! The second trip (late summer) was mainly for Brook trout which are in the higher elevations. That was in the northeast part of the park at Greenbrier on the Middle Prong of Little Pigeon River which I hiked up Ramsey Cascades Trail at the end of the road again that was awesome. I fished more place than that and loved them all the fish were every where I was!

This trip I am going to fish the Cataloochee, Deep Creek, Abrams Creek, and Oconaluftee River.

Just stop by Little River Outfitters and ask where to fish and with what. They are very helpful and welling to point you in the right direction, as well as the fly shop in Gatlinburg. Don’t be shy, this is their livelihoods and getting you to come back is what it is all about to them. And I do have to say everyone is very friendly down there.

If I can say anymore just ask and I will tell you what I know.

Mark Lowry

Hi, where did you stay during your 18 days? Did you find the park safe? Do you have any favorite spots to fish that require minimal (4 miles rd trip or less) hiking?

Also, did you feel safe during your stay in the park? There's been so much talk about the new legislation to allow handguns in national parks. I wonder whether people are exaggerating the problem of violent crime in parks or if I'm just fortunate during my previous stays in national parks.

cherokeeflyboy
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
chicagoguychicagoguy here is a link for a map of the park if you do not have one

www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/GRSMmap4.pdf

old tom
03-21-2009, 07:16 AM
No offense intended, but you're safer in the Park than in Chicago.:smile:

When you park at a trailhead, do just like you would at home. Don't leave any valuables in your vehicle in the open. Once you get 1/2 mile up a trail, you'll leave 90% of the people behind. You'll be in the company of day hikers, backpackers and other fishermen.

The Park gets 10 million visitors a year and it's very, very rare to hear of any violence directed toward others. Most of the folks you'll meet on the trail will speak and wish you a good morning. Other fishermen will stop and chat.

BlueRaiderFan
03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh, I forgot to add, stop by LRO, it's a really nice shop and: There are no fish in these streams. You may as well stay home.:biggrin: