PDA

View Full Version : 3/20 Get Away

nvr2L8
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Had a great day in the Smokies today. It was a little on the chilly side after a couple of really warm days on Wednesday and Thursday. Work sure does get in the way of picking the best days for fishing.

Went up to Middle Prong and not long after I got there, I tied into what was probably the biggest bow I've seen in Middle Prong - probably around 12". I say probably because he shook off as I was pulling him in. Caught a little guy (posted in the One Fish Per Month thread) on upstream and immediately left Middle Prong to go up to Sams Creek.

For others' future reference, it took just about 15 minutes to walk from the parking lot at the end of Middle Prong up Defeat Ridge Trail till I got to the spot where you cross back over Thunderhead Prong. From there, it was just about 10-15 minutes up to the upper part of Sams Creek above the waterfalls and into brookie land. It was a gorgeous day - took this shot up through the high canopy.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/nvr2l8_chuck/SamsCreek012.jpg

I took this one picture of the upper part of Sams
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/nvr2l8_chuck/SamsCreek013.jpg
There was quite a bit of water in the stream after our recent rains.

This was my second trip up Sams, the first being the week after they re-opened the stream for fishing last May. I went much further up the stream today than I was able to last year and this is one of the prettiest streams I've seen in the Smokies. Reminds me a lot of Road Prong with the big elevation changes, splits in the stream and huge boulders. The water was pretty cool so I didn't get much action - did have one nice brookie rise to a dry but they mostly stayed hunkered down today.

This is definitely a target for returning later after things warm up. There's lots of beautiful pools and runs that look like brookie heaven. Another great day in Troutland.

BlueRaiderFan
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Great Stuff!

KnoxBioBenz
03-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I have never fished Sams creek but it looks like a very pretty spot with a lot of eager fish.
Good Pic

streamsideguy
03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
looks like a beautiful place to be, thanks for taking me.