PDA

View Full Version : what color fly line?

cherokeeflyboy
03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I was talking with my neighbor this afternoon about my trip next month and he asked me if I wanted a new fly rod, of course my answer was YES! He went into the house and came out with a new fly rod and reel kit still in the original packing it came in from Bass Pro Shop. It is not an expensive one by one means (Cortland 2 piece WT5/6). I ask how much he wanted for it and he said if I helped him move his peacocks to a new pen he would give it to me....I did...I think I got the better of the deal even though it is a inexpensive rod. I think he said that he paid $69.99 for it about 5 or 6 years ago. Don't I have nice neighbors!

Anyways, back to my question, the reel comes with "White" DT F #5 line" on it. What color line do most of you guys that fish in the GSMNP use? The rod that I fished last year has orange on it and I did fine with it. I am open to suggestions so let me have yours.

Happy fishing and Great health

Mark Lowry

Leonidas
03-21-2009, 06:01 PM
I would definitely use a subdued type color line: green, light green, gray, etc...the fish in the Smokies are all wild, skiddish, and extremely adept at avoiding predators.

Carolina Boy
03-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I have had a guy argue with me in a shop over here, in NC, for some time about how the fish can't see it and the color diesn't matter. But i disagree and i have dark colored lines on all of my mountain reels...I catch fish so I am sticking with it, and i am leaving the pink lines to that dude?

Art Vandalay
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I am guilty of fishing dark line myself. Though, as I get older and spend more time on the water, I honestly believe that presentation is more important than something like line color. A fish isn't going to look up if it's not startled by something slapping the water. It's kinda like a fish falling for the right size rather than the exact bug because it's been presented well.

BlueRaiderFan
03-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I think fish only have rods in their eyes and no cones, which means they see in black and white and grey. A light line might look weird to a fish against the tree canopy. Besides, Krey says use subdued line and I hear he knows a bit about fly fishin'.

BlueRaiderFan
03-21-2009, 10:46 PM
More important than that, in my opinion is to not line the fish. Start with the closest water and work your way up stream with several casts.

caught 108
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
I like Green:biggrin:

bigpopper
03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Well this is just from my own experience, so take it for what its worth. I have used "white" 8wt WF line in the past and hauled in 6lb largemouths, mousepad sized bluegill's and 10lb stripers. I now am using a high "vis orange" 8wt WF line because it helps with the aging eyesite;). I use this line for all fish, Trout, Bass, Pans, Stripes and also use in the gin clear Gulf o Mex. I have had the same catch results as with the "white" line. In my opinoin, when you use a leader/tippet of 9ft. or more that's what you want the fish to see. Thats why it is clear so its hard for the fish to see it. Granted if your float line lands right next to a 10lb Brown Trout, it might scare him off, but if that fly lands in front of him attached to the tippet he wont see your leader/ tippet. As someone said above and I will second it, it's all about presentation. Hope this helps.

streamsideguy
03-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Go to New Zealand with an orange line. they will laugh.

BlueRaiderFan
03-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Well this is just from my own experience, so take it for what its worth. I have used "white" 8wt WF line in the past and hauled in 6lb largemouths, mousepad sized bluegill's and 10lb stripers. I now am using a high "vis orange" 8wt WF line because it helps with the aging eyesite;). I use this line for all fish, Trout, Bass, Pans, Stripes and also use in the gin clear Gulf o Mex. I have had the same catch results as with the "white" line. In my opinoin, when you use a leader/tippet of 9ft. or more that's what you want the fish to see. Thats why it is clear so its hard for the fish to see it. Granted if your float line lands right next to a 10lb Brown Trout, it might scare him off, but if that fly lands in front of him attached to the tippet he wont see your leader/ tippet. As someone said above and I will second it, it's all about presentation. Hope this helps.

Hmmm...You're experience is strong young padwan...I really don't know for certain what is correct, but you bring some good points to the table. A light line makes sense for the white sandy bottoms off the beach, not certain if it would be good in the park. Hard to say.

Mocs123
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM
The problem is that we pick a line that is camouflaged looking down into the water, while a fish is looking up. If there is open sky above where you are fishing, my (very uneducated) guess is that a light fly line would be harder to see from a fish's' perspective ( a dark fly line on a light background (the sky) would stick out like a sore thumb) but if you are fishing a stream with a full foliage canopy above you, a dark fly line would blend in better.

cherokeeflyboy
03-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys! I think that I will go with the darker color...better safe than sorry. By the way I did google to see if trout have rods or cones in their eyes and I found that it said they have cones which means they do see colors...better safe than sorry. But if I trusted everything that I read on the internet I would not have to work either...lol. Thanks for the input.

any of you guys want to get together April 18 - 26 for a fish?

Good fishing and Great health

Mark

BlueRaiderFan
03-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Ah....I couldn't remember for certain...Been a long time since that info came across my mind. I'm always certain to put the word "think" in my post if I don't know for certain.

David Knapp
03-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Mark

Shoot me an email when the time gets closer and I might be able to get in a little fishing time...I'll probably be doing a backpacking trip around that time but could do something on one end of that...

BlueRaiderFan
03-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys! I think that I will go with the darker color...better safe than sorry. By the way I did google to see if trout have rods or cones in their eyes and I found that it said they have cones which means they do see colors...better safe than sorry. But if I trusted everything that I read on the internet I would not have to work either...lol. Thanks for the input.

Mark

You coming in all the way from Little Rock?

cherokeeflyboy
03-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Shoot me an email when the time gets closer and I might be able to get in a little fishing time...I'll probably be doing a backpacking trip around that time but could do something on one end of that...

Will do, if not have a great time in the back country.

cherokeeflyboy
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
You coming in all the way from Little Rock?

You bet I am, I love the place. Thinking about check out some work there and see if I can move to my favorite place in the state.:smile:

mark