PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Quill Gordon and Blue Quill hatch on Raven today.

tennswede
03-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Fished Raven with a coworker today. Caught five fish. One bow was 14". I managed a slam albeit on stocked water. The hatch began at 2:30 and like clockwork it was over by 3:30 PM. It's a blast when the top is cooking. I had a little better fish on for a sec, before I yanked the fly out of it's mouth. The river had good flow and it's nice to see NC waters with actual water in them. Didn't get the water temp but the rising fish tells me it was over 50 in the pm.

The lower end with the slack water was like Wal Mart parking lot. I can't imagine what it will look like next Saturday, when the regular waters open. A nice day indeed, highly recommended.

Troutman
03-23-2009, 07:11 AM
It's a blast when the top is cooking.

Its my favorite Smokies hatch also. Its amazing to see the fish go from staying hid among the rocks and 5 minutes later, they are feeding with reckless abandon all over the surface.

Happy 20th Anniversary BTW!

tennswede
03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Gary,

Thanks, I can't believe it's 20 years but it seems like the older I get the faster the years fly by. Anyway, I was amazed at the short hatch time. I know the Blue Quills were more prevalent than the Gordon's. They took a para adams 14. I didn't find a 12, The quills seemed to be a 16. I assume we have about another week or so of this hatch. I feel if we get the warm weather to stay we will soon see the Black Caddis.

ijsouth
03-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I guess I will have to wait until retirement, and I'm up there full time, to experience a hatch like that...there's almost no way for me to time it from down here, with three kids. I would have a hard time regardless. Oh well, I'm just happy when they'll take a fly up top at all.

tennswede
03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Ijsouth,

No it's not easy to time the hatch. Not even for me living here. I do have learned from 15 years in these mountains that you can pretty much figure out when you need to be on the river if you want easy dry fly fishing. Nymphing can be done pretty much any time although the early morning caddis drift is the most predictable. Right now the hatch is peaking at about 3 pm. In another month it will be around 5 PM and when we come in to May and June it's pretty much the last hour before dark. Of course these are all different species of flies but you get my drift.