PDA

View Full Version : Elkmont on 3-21

cardfly
03-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, just got back this Sunday. My buddy and I fished the lower end of Tremont on Friday afternoon. We did see a small hatch of something but the trout would not budge. I was using a Quill Gordon and went to a BHPT for the last 45 minutes. We stopped about 6:30 and neither of us had caught any.

Saturday we started over at Greenbriar but nothing was happening so we made the jump to Elkmont. We arrived there at about 11:30. The weather was perfect with the temperature around 55. We hiked in about a mile and saw tons of hikers and campers. The fishing started out slow so we decided to split up for awhile. At 2:00 somebody turned the switch on and the fishing was fast and furious for about 45 minutes. I was using a Blue Quill and caught 3 bows and missed a bunch. I saw one rising and got so anxious that I jerked to line to quick and made the trout miss the fly and it flew out of the water about 6 inches.

The fishing was so good that several hikers stopped and I could hear them commenting on the action.

So now I think that my buddy will never believe this but when I find him he had the exact same story except he got 4. Starting at 2:00 on Saturday it was a big time for us.

I have only been fly fishing for 2 years but these trout seem bigger and healthier that I have seen in the past 2 years. Both of us averaged about 6 to 8 inch fish with good girth.

This is for Paula, I saw a couple of pigeons along the way but didnít get hungry enough to eat any of them and to Tim, it was great getting in the woods with you brother. I am sure that Johnny Cash was looking down Saturday and laughing his head off.

mtnman2888
03-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Alot of people think the drought increased and will increase the size of the average fish since there is less competition for food, which also equals more food per fish.

And don't worry about the slow fishing, this time of year can be tricky. Next time try looking under a rock to see if you can't find some stoneflies, a healthy staple of every trout's diet! I love sinking a big ol' stonefly with some weight and go down there and getting them. You'll lose a few to the always elusive rock fish, but trout love those things.