PDA

View Full Version : Tying for late April

cherokeeflyboy
03-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey guys do you any suggestions on what I sure be tying for my trip April 18 - 26? Wet flies, Dry flies, nymphs???? Also, is there a place on-line to get the steps since I am new to this tying thing. Thanks in advance for the suggestion and help.

Stonefly
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
By that time, dry flies should be doing very well. I fished for years with Elk Hair Caddis and seldom anything else in the mtns. They're easy to tie too. Here's a video: http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2008/05/28/fly-tying-video-easy-elk-hair-caddis/

sb

cherokeeflyboy
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
By that time, dry flies should be doing very well. I fished for years with Elk Hair Caddis and seldom anything else in the mtns. They're easy to tie too. Here's a video: http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2008/05/28/fly-tying-video-easy-elk-hair-caddis/

sb

what size's of hooks would be best?

Kytroutbum
03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I've been tying for late April also. I fish these dries-Mayflies); Parachute Adams (16-12)dark bodied flies, Parachute Hare's Ear (14-12)(Tie like Adams but sub moose for tail and hare's ear dub for body.) A March Brown and a Mr. Rapidan parachute (My favorite)(#14 or 12). For caddis-A 16 or 14 Elk hair caddis will work okay. I prefer a Delaware Adams-Green or Yellow floss Body or a Henryville Caddis(#14's). The EHC will work good- I just get bored and want to throw something they are not familiar with at times. Check out FytyingForum.com and my favorite- Flyanglersonline.com. Pull up the fly tying section- beginner and intermediate are good tutorials. Their Fly Archives, has a wide range of fly patterns with instructions.

Randall Sale
the kytroutbum

cherokeeflyboy
03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I've been tying for late April also. I fish these dries-Mayflies); Parachute Adams (16-12)dark bodied flies, Parachute Hare's Ear (14-12)(Tie like Adams but sub moose for tail and hare's ear dub for body.) A March Brown and a Mr. Rapidan parachute (My favorite)(#14 or 12). For caddis-A 16 or 14 Elk hair caddis will work okay. I prefer a Delaware Adams-Green or Yellow floss Body or a Henryville Caddis(#14's). The EHC will work good- I just get bored and want to throw something they are not familiar with at times. Check out FytyingForum.com and my favorite- Flyanglersonline.com. Pull up the fly tying section- beginner and intermediate are good tutorials. Their Fly Archives, has a wide range of fly patterns with instructions.

Randall Sale
the kytroutbum

Thanks Randall those are great sites, already start tying some...well one so far but I will be work on them all.

Mark

cherokeeflyboy
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Randall Sale
the kytroutbum

Randall should I tie some midges too?

Kytroutbum
03-26-2009, 01:37 AM
I carry a small box of Griffith Gnats-20's in my vest but hardly ever have used them in the park. This time of year the trout will see enough Mayfly and caddis to keep them occupied. If these don't work, I throw a beetle pattern that usually will. In my opinion, the trout in the park are more opportunistic than maybe a tailwater fish will be. They see a multitude of different food coming toward them daily. (For example, GSMNP and the S. Appalachains have one of the highest diversity of Beetles in the world.)

As Stonefly said an elk hair caddis works for him. A good presentation and getting a good drag free drift is of equal or more importance than your fly pattern. If I didn't tie, I'd probably fish an EHC, A parachute Adams, a Mr. Rapidan and a beetle and do just as good. I have to justify all the materials and gadgets, I've bought.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum