PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek, KY 3-21

bredmon930
03-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Well with my 20 mon. old daughter at the grandparents this past weekend i finally got to get out on the water for my first real outting for the spring. Got up and left Bowling green at 5:00 sat. morning and made the 2 hour jaunt to mcreary county and fished the DH section of Rock Creek. Unfortunately when i got there it was 28 deg. and the water was 42. Not exactly what i was hoping for but it warmed up quick once the sun got over the hills. I had decided to fish the very upper section above the Great meadows camp ground. Man thats is the most beautiful section of that stream.
I parked and got geared up and took off up stream. There was a fog hovering over just over head high, almost eary, yet calming at the same time. The water was back to normal from last fall when i was there, its good to see water back in that stream. As I work my way up i came to this huge rock outcropping, almost the size of my house, where the water was rushing past and leaving an eddy on the back side. it was about 3 foot deep. I sat there for a minute and watched, thinking to my self if i were trout thats where i would be. And sure enough there's a flash, and minute later, another. So i positioned my self and casted well up stream so that my nymph could have time to get down. First cast, nothing, 2nd nothing, add some shot, 3rd, bam the indicator stops and jumps up stream, hook set and the fun starts. I get him to the net and its a 15" bow. AAhh its good to get back out on the water, this is gonna be a good day.
Well it was a good day, any day spent fishing is a good day, but it turned out to be a long day, and the fish made you really work for them. I ended up with 8 to hand, about one per hour of fishing. Most in the 8-10" range and a couple of 12", all bows, i don't know if they put browns in there or not. I was hoping there would be a decent hatch but nothing ever came off in any numbers, a quill gordon here or there and brown stoneflies. I picked up several rocks throughout the day and saw alot of gordon nymphs with black wing pads though. The 15" was caught on a 14 BH Early brown stonefly nymph, the rest were on a 14 PT behind a olive stimi.
This was the first time ive fished the upper section towards the state line, but its the best looking trout water. Alot like a low gradient mtn. stream. lots of huge, and i mean huge rock outcroppings with deep pools. And some shallow water and good riffles mixed in. I cant wait to get back up there in a few months when it warms up. Next im headed towards your neck of the woods end of next month for 3 days, cant wait. Hopefully by then i will have purchased a camera, thats next on my list.
Well thats all i got i guess, im not a writer, im a carpenter.

tnflyguy
03-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Its nice to see a fly fisherman from bowling green on this message board. I am from Knoxville, Tn and transferd here to WKU to get my degree in meteorology. I haven't been fly fishing up here yet because of how busy I am, and because I don't know where to go. But if I ever have some time off and you need a fishing partner let me know.
;)

kytroutman
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Glad you had a great day bredmon. It's good to get there early to beat the poachers and worm dunkers. If you're in Bowling Green, try out Trammel Fork in Allen Co. near Scottsville. KDFW stocks rainbows and browns in there and it's right in your backyard.

Treecatcher2
03-24-2009, 11:39 AM
I work at WKU and take a class one nite a week so I have not gotten out yet either.

If you go to google maps and plug in "concord church rd, Allen, Kentucky 42120" it will get you to one of the common points for trammel creek. Lots of folks park across the street from the Methodist Church at the park area. From that point you can figure out where to and how to get there. I think the state may also stock in Simpson County which is around Franklin.

If the itch gets too bad there is always panfish over at three springs park. Thats probably where I will end up first since I need to have a couple of loosening up sessions with the fly rod after this winter.

Hope this helps.

tnflyguy
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I will have to try out this location sometime.

bredmon930
03-25-2009, 09:54 AM
tnflyguy.... email me sometime and we can try to hook up when our schedules work out, i would enjoy a fishing partner. my email is bredmon930@yahoo.com. Ill show you how to get to trammel, it has trout and some very nice smallies

kytroutman.... Yeah i know trammel quite well. Ive been fishing down there since i was 12, thats where i caught my first trout, on UL spinning rod and panther martins. I fish down there atleast once if not twice a month year round. Ive only been flyfishing for about 2 years. For the past year ive been monitoring the temp, even in august when its 90 out, and Feb. when its 20, the upper portion of the creek stays between 50-60 degrees. Plus the last time i was down there there was a wildlife biologist there that i talked too. He said that the state has come in and bought 30 ft on either side of the stream for about a miles worth of stream and starting next month they are gonna come in and make pools, add structure and undercut banks and try to manage the eroding banks and let it grow up on the banks. Basically make it a better habitat for the fish. My opinion i think they are going to make trammell a DH stream after that, and i think they need too. It capable of holding trout year round, and growing some big fish, ive seen one that was pushing 22in. I was happy to hear that they're improving it. You can email me sometime if you ever make it to BG, maybe we can get a line wet.

Brad

Treecatcher2
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Glad to hear about the state's effort. Sometimes the pesticide run off from some of the farms can get pretty bad.

bredmon930 is the state still stocking over in Simpson Cnty too?

kytroutman
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
bredmon, thanks for the invite. I'm not sure when I will make it back over but I will definitely shoot you an email. The stream work you stated was discussed a few years back and everything kind of went silent. I'm glad they have resurrected it, especially with the number of holdovers showing up in the stream.

tree, as far as I know, KDFW is still stocking about 1,000 rainbows in Lick Creek and in Sulphur Spring in the Spring and in the Fall.

bredmon930
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
As far as i know, they are. I almost positive they still are Lick creek. Its a DH or seasonal catch and release (same diff). I know i was down there after the ice storm and that 4in of rain we got with it and the water had gotten up into the fields there about 30 ft or more, so that creek pretty much got washed out, and i think most of the trout got washed down stream. I was catching fish there all winter up until that point and ive been twice since and didn't do any good.

As far as trammel, They are doing all the work up at the second stocking site on blankenship rd. Its about a mile past concord church road on the right. They're going about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile upstream and the same downstream of the bridge there. My guess is that the fishing there this summer wont be that great, cuz when you start digging in a creek there's gonna be alot of mud washing down. And as far as pesticides go, that shouldn't be to much of an issue on trammel. its mainly bordered by cattle fields. Ive fished all of the 4 miles they say is trout water, and don't remember seeing any crops throughout that section. Its all grazing pasture. Now on lick creek i can see that being a major issue, its nothing but crops on the right side of the stream.

email me sometime and we'll hit one of them up one sat.

brad

bredmon930
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Kytroutman, whats ur email so that i can put it in my address book, i have my spam filter set pretty high, sometimes i don't get the emails that others send, and i have some questions about some other ky trout streams.

kytroutman
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
bred, I'll send it to you.

Treecatcher2
03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
the run off used to be a problem down around where Snake creek (?) and Rough creek (?) would empty into Trammel.

I'd be more than willing to hit these streams with you other BG folks sometime. Also willing to trip down to Elk and Duck in TN if interested.