PDA

View Full Version : B/S/T section and Costa Del Mar question

Worrgamesguy
03-24-2009, 02:08 AM
It would be fantastic if there was a Buy/Sell/Trade section on here. It would bring a lot more attention to the board and allow users to sell items to someone local, as well as a chance to buy. Has this been brought up, or implemented before with no success? I'd love to spend all my money on fly fishing stuff but I just can't afford it.

Also I'm looking to buy a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses, but I don't know what color 580 lens to get. I like the way the blue lens looks, but it seems that green is what everyone says is ideal for all around use. Anyone know what lens would be best for tailwaters?

jeffnles1
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
It would be fantastic if there was a Buy/Sell/Trade section on here. It would bring a lot more attention to the board and allow users to sell items to someone local, as well as a chance to buy. Has this been brought up, or implemented before with no success? I'd love to spend all my money on fly fishing stuff but I just can't afford it.

Also I'm looking to buy a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses, but I don't know what color 580 lens to get. I like the way the blue lens looks, but it seems that green is what everyone says is ideal for all around use. Anyone know what lens would be best for tailwaters?

Trey,
I think one reason is that Little River Outfitters is a full service fly shop and as such, they offer everything we could ever want for sale in their shop. If Byron, Paula, and Daniel don't have what you're looking for, they will do everything in their power to help you track it down.

I would think offering a for sale section on thier message board could potentially be a conflict with their business.

Byron and the folks at LRO are kind enough to give us a place to chat and talk about fishing. I would feel pretty bad saying "Hey, buy a XYZ 2009 rod from me while sitting in the middle of LRO."

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Worrgamesguy
03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I can see that. I wish they would buy used gear and pass it on to us, then. I'd love to have a high end rod but I can't afford the $400+ pricetag. You don't know how happy I'd be if I could get my hands on an Orvis or Sage rod.

Mocs123
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Perhaps there could be another option. I know a couple of fly shops that will take your gear you want to sell, professionally photograph it and sell it on ebay for no fee, the proceeds are issued as a store credit so the fly shop eventually gets the proceeds back as part of a new gear sale. It is beneficial to the customer as the fly shop is able to take better photos, descriptions, etc, plus has lots of great feedback on ebay (due to all of the trade in gear they sell), and it is benificial to the shop as it can help bring in business. LRO could try a program like that or they could also try posting the used gear here with fixed prices.

Worrgamesguy
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
But I would want to buy used stuff more than sell :rolleyes:

Worrgamesguy
03-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd love to give my money to LRO though. I was fortunate enough to stop by over New Years and it was easily the mecca of fly fishing. Being young stinks :frown:

Carolina Boy
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Not as bad as being broke!! Young hopper pattern!

Worrgamesguy
03-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Young pretty much = broke.

I do have good news! I got 2 kayaks for Christmas, but I don't want to put them on my Honda Civic. My Civic has 17" Enkeis on it, tint, you name it (doesn't sound like a lawn mower though) and I don't want to look retarded, so I'm selling my best paintball gun, which should pull a little over a grand. Add the money I get from my Civic to that money, and I should be looking at a nice Xterra or 4Runner ;) All for fishing :biggrin:

Mocs123
03-24-2009, 11:12 PM
You are right they might be too busy, but it was just an idea. I know I have to sell a few things before I can give LRO any more money!

Treecatcher2
03-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Kytroutbum, thanks for the site suggestion. I am enjoying the articles there. I am still trying to help LRO revive the economy but since I am cheap this make take some time :rolleyes:. There will be a new reel in the near future but I doubt that covers Byron's electric bill for the day.

Carolina Boy
03-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Way to get into the kayak game man! What kind Have you rigged em yet! I am going yak fishing this weekend in upstate SC & they are great in the salt too!

Worrgamesguy
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't remember what kind they were, they were on sale at Dick's on Black Friday for $200, $150 less than normal. They're red, I want to say Potomac or Patagonia? Something "P." But I rented a kayak and fished the Caney this summer, it was a lot of fun. I got paddle holders, and there is a lot of storage so I'll be set!

Carolina Boy
03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Could it be Pelican??

Worrgamesguy
03-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Could it be Pelican??

Could very well be ;) I think I'm gonna go out Saturday and practice launching, the one I rented was sit on, not sit in.

jeffnles1
03-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Being young stinks

Trey,
I'm 48 years old, want to trade? :smile:

In all seriousness, please enjoy being young. When I was a younger man, I, like you, was broke most of the time and couldn't wait until I got a higher paying job and could afford the things I wanted. Now, the problem is I have that career and higher paying job. You may think, wow, what's the problem?

With that money comes a tremendous amount of stress and very long hours in the office. Yes, I have money to buy toys but I do not have the time or energy to play with my toys. Many days, it is dark when I head into the office and dark when I come home. When I get home, I'm so exhausted and stressed out that most days all I can think about is grabbing a bite to eat and sit down to read or watch something mindless on the TV.

Then there is the responsibility of family, church, and other commitments one gathers as he gets older.

In a few years, I'll be looking at retirement and once again will be broke.

I honestly wish I had spent more time enjoying being young with a strong young man's body and time to enjoy fishing, hiking, and chasing the girls.

No, life is not all bad. I have a wonderful wife and a great son. I'm active in my church and enjoy the fellowship with those in our congregation. I do get to fish once or twice a week and get to go on a fishing vacation from time to time. I have a nice car and a house.

I'm not unhappy but I could be happier.

So, the best advice I can offer to a young man is being young and broke is not all that bad. Enjoy what you have and take advantage of your youth to do all those things you want to do and can only do when you're young. Soon enough, your body will not allow you to do the things you used to do and your job and family responsibilities will take time away from other activities. It's a good trade as the family is something I wouldn't trade for all the world.

However, please do not spend time wishing away what you have now.

I don't want to "preach" but I can very vividly remember being in my late teens and early twenties and saying the same thing you have said here. The old proverb, becareful what you wish for, you may get it" applies.

From your posts here, you seem like a really fine young man.

Jeff

jarrod white
03-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Pretty sound advice on being young. I looked in the mirror while driving down the road the other day, and the guy looking back , was beginning to get grey hair. Money , and or material things, is not that important. I also know the young guy is saying, yea right, that is all easy to say when you have it all. I said the same thing to the people that told me not to rush.;)

Right On, keep fishing , soon the reflection in the water will be a grey headed man looking back at all of us.

JW

RonS
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
......., soon the reflection in the water will be a grey headed man looking back at all of us.

JW

And asking himself if it's too deep or too fast to ford today, while also thinking, "I never used to think about that stuff, I just rushed in and if I dunked and swam a while, it was cool. No, not today, I think I'll find a safer place to cross."

:biggrin:

Worrgamesguy
03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I want to be financially secure so I can afford to do the things I love- cars, paintball, fishing... I've been dating my girlfriend for 4 years on and off, our 2 years straight will be on April 1.

So back to the original point of the thread, I'm 18 and need a cheaper way to find a "pre-owned" rod or reel that can improve my game yet not break the bank.

Mocs123
03-26-2009, 02:24 PM
If a Sage DS2 7'6" 4wt 2pc would be what you are looking for, let me know, I have one that I need to sell, otherwise try Southeast Fly Fishers Forum, they have a classified section.

Troutman
03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I want to be financially secure so I can afford to do the things I love

I'm 18 and need a cheaper way to find a "pre-owned" rod or reel that can improve my game yet not break the bank.

Thats the "American dream", everyone feels that way.

Buying more expensive equipment does not automatically improve your game. Lots of people do that and still have trouble catching fish consistantly.
You see them everywhere looking like they just stepped out of the orvis catalog, but they are out there flogging the water, fishing unproductive areas, spending too much time waving the rod back and forth.
Learn how to become a good caster. Any flyrod will do. Practice your loops, pickups, accurate casting to targets at varying distances.
Learn how to read the water. Observe whats going on around you before you start casting.
Research your intended species. Learn as much as you can about your quarry. Set some FF goals for yourself and work towards them.

I could go on and on. Just don't make the mistake that spending a lot on equipment will make you a better fisherman. Working on basic skills and time on the water is a better method.

PeteCz
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Trey, all great advice from the folks.

To reiterate Troutman: its not the equipment.

Go spend some more time fishing with PA and pick his brain some more. The flyrod and reel are probably the least important parts of flyfishing. I know that sounds ridiculous, but its very true. Yes a nice rod may help you cast a little bit better, but it really won't help you catch one extra fish. Improving your approach and tactics will help you catch more and larger fish.

"its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got...."
(I couldn't help it...sorry)

Worrgamesguy
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Trey, all great advice from the folks.

To reiterate Troutman: its not the equipment.

Go spend some more time fishing with PA and pick his brain some more. The flyrod and reel are probably the least important parts of flyfishing. I know that sounds ridiculous, but its very true. Yes a nice rod may help you cast a little bit better, but it really won't help you catch one extra fish. Improving your approach and tactics will help you catch more and larger fish.

"its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got...."
(I couldn't help it...sorry)

I'd love for you to delicately present a fly with my Cortland POS, it ain't happening. My TFO is leagues better, but I know it can get better than that.

PeteCz
03-26-2009, 10:40 PM
You're missing my point. Yes, you can probably present a fly better with your TFO than the Cortland. But presenting your fly better is only a small part of catching more fish.

Can a better flyrod help you find more fish,
Can it help you figure out what they're eating,
Can it help you stay hidden and not spook'em,
Can it help you see the fish take your fly.

No.

Better tactics are what make better fishermen, not better gear...

I used to have a top of the line Orvis rod in the early 90s. Now I fish with a $139 TFO, but I know I am a lot better fisherman today, than I was when I had the expensive Orvis rod. (Of course Charlie still outfishes me, but thats another story....)

nvr2L8
03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
For the record, I have never outfished Pete. (Check your Charter email, Pal)

Worrgamesguy
03-28-2009, 09:53 PM
You're missing my point. Yes, you can probably present a fly better with your TFO than the Cortland. But presenting your fly better is only a small part of catching more fish.

Can a better flyrod help you find more fish,
Can it help you figure out what they're eating,
Can it help you stay hidden and not spook'em,
Can it help you see the fish take your fly.

No.

Better tactics are what make better fishermen, not better gear...

I used to have a top of the line Orvis rod in the early 90s. Now I fish with a $139 TFO, but I know I am a lot better fisherman today, than I was when I had the expensive Orvis rod. (Of course Charlie still outfishes me, but thats another story....)

I got the point, but it doesn't hold up well. If you have enough experience so get a decent loop (like me, I'm no pro but I'm past the flogging stage), you will be able to notice a huge difference. I know in paintball "it's the player, not the gun" but a nice gun will help!

billyspey
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I want to be financially secure so I can afford to do the things I love- cars, paintball, fishing... I've been dating my girlfriend for 4 years on and off, our 2 years straight will be on April 1.

So back to the original point of the thread, I'm 18 and need a cheaper way to find a "pre-owned" rod or reel that can improve my game yet not break the bank.

quickest way to get what you want and money give up the girl friend they are a money pit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy your youth don't get pin down with girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you will have the rest of your life to be married............

billyspey
03-29-2009, 05:29 PM
the fly has to be in the water to catch fish how you get it there and with what it doesn't matter............. a lot of great rods out this year for under $400. ck. them all, got to know what you want from a rod , test cast a lot of rods before you buy find one that fits your style and feels good to you. the right flyline can make more difference than a new rod ,all rods have a favorite line a $150 rod will cast better with the right line, than a $700 rod with the wrong line..

nvr2L8
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't know if you remember this story that I related in a post to you last July but it still holds true:
As Jeff said, you'll find that there are ways to get into fly fishing without spending a fortune (not nearly as much as you have spent on paint ball). Walter Babb (our instructor for beginning fly fishing and a 50+ year fly fisher) told us a story about fishing with his dad when he was a teenager. His dad had a nice new rig and Walter had an old hand-me-down rig and his dad wore him out all morning. At lunch, Walter complained to his dad that he was not catching as many fish because he had that ugly old rig. His dad switched gear with him after lunch and still wore him out. Lesson from Walter - it's more how you fish than what you have to fish with. Learn the basics with what you have and grow from there - you'll never regret it.
I have two affordable TFO rods (a 5 and a 4) and I feel no need to go for a more expensive rod in my arsenal. Getting comfortable with what you can do with your rod is much more important than the brand name or the exotic materials in it. One of these days, I'll probably break down and get a hand-made bamboo rod but not because I need it to fish better but as a keepsake. For success in fly fishing, what matters is whether you've figured out how to use the rod you have to get the fly where you want it.

Save the money and spend it on your girl.

Worrgamesguy
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
quickest way to get what you want and money give up the girl friend they are a money pit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy your youth don't get pin down with girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you will have the rest of your life to be married............

Yeah I know... I've thought that before, and then I realized how much I spend on her- hardly anything. I probably spend $10 a week on her, just for food, ice cream, and the like. I spend triple, maybe quadruple times what I spend on her on paintball.

Don't know if you remember this story that I related in a post to you last July but it still holds true:
As Jeff said, you'll find that there are ways to get into fly fishing without spending a fortune (not nearly as much as you have spent on paint ball). Walter Babb (our instructor for beginning fly fishing and a 50+ year fly fisher) told us a story about fishing with his dad when he was a teenager. His dad had a nice new rig and Walter had an old hand-me-down rig and his dad wore him out all morning. At lunch, Walter complained to his dad that he was not catching as many fish because he had that ugly old rig. His dad switched gear with him after lunch and still wore him out. Lesson from Walter - it's more how you fish than what you have to fish with. Learn the basics with what you have and grow from there - you'll never regret it.
I have two affordable TFO rods (a 5 and a 4) and I feel no need to go for a more expensive rod in my arsenal. Getting comfortable with what you can do with your rod is much more important than the brand name or the exotic materials in it. One of these days, I'll probably break down and get a hand-made bamboo rod but not because I need it to fish better but as a keepsake. For success in fly fishing, what matters is whether you've figured out how to use the rod you have to get the fly where you want it.

Save the money and spend it on your girl.

I remember it all too well ;) Maybe it's just feeding my ego :rolleyes: